Reich Caravan Mover

ericdf

Hya All

the problem I have got is the movement on the right hand side mover it has started to slip. Can this be done by myself ( not machanicaly minded) & if so what distance should there be from roller to tyre or would be a job for the profechonals.

Cheers

generally 20mm from roller to tyre but it does depend on manufacturer. Loosen mover brackets on chassis put a spacer between roller and tyre and push mover up to it. tighten brackets back up, take spacer out, crawl from under van and get mud off clothes. test mover. job done!

prepare for telling off due to the mud on the clean pair of trousers that you've only had on today!

on a serious note, if you're doing one side you may as well check the other side too. You're already covered in mud!

Hiya All

As said above I think wrongly posted on Swift chat section. My mover has started to slip on the right side movement. I would like to know If it is possible to do the correction work myself bearing in mind I am not machanically minded, if so what would the distance be from the roller to the tyre. Or is this a job for the proffesonals?

Cheers :rolleyes:

In the instruction book for the mover it will give you the distance or download the pdf from their website, about 20mm seems to ring a bell.

Presume both sides are the same and one side ok but the other slipping. Might not be a distance problem.

Brian

Reich recommend 15-20 mm. between tyre and roller. It's quite a straightforward job, providing you're capable of crawling under the caravan - I found the best way was to raise the front of the 'van as high as possible, and crawl in from there. From memory, tools required are a 17mm ring spanner, a 17mm open-ended spanner, a 13mm ring spanner, and a small block of wood of the appropriate size to fit between tyre and roller. Always check the opposite side after you've finished, in case the movement on one side has upset the spacing on the other.

When i repositioned mine as per book, i found the roller too close to the tyre to engage. So i set the gap to about 25mm.

Also i managed to crack a stop plate, which had to be rewelded, so use a torque wrench, note i found that it not necessary to unbolt both sides, only the u clamps on the effected side.

My mover is a 2004 Reich control, with manuel independent engagement.

Edited by xtrailman

Have you changed a tyre recently? Is one over or under inflated?

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

I've just altered the distance on both sides of my Reich mover (only 1 was more than tolerance and slipped) I used the 17mm spanners to unlock the lock nuts and once free gently pushed the whole unit forward (my mover is fitted behind the wheels). I used a block of wood 17mm thick.

Didn't use a torque wrench because it's virtually impossible to fit one on the nuts). Must say the nuts were very tight and I have tigthened them up really hard again. Thankfully didn't break the stop, but will watch out in future.

Once adjusted I turned on the movers using the handle. They don't come out the full amount now, but also there's less chance of slipping because you can turn them on further.

My friend has a new Hobby with a fancy Truma mover and this is fully automatic no messing about with wheel braces. But it was also £1200

Lunar Ultima 560 towed by VW Tiguan 2. 0TDi

We are 100% Reich and we have never had a problem with it since 2005 when we first bought it, except for when the local caravan dealer changed it over from our Spectrum to the present van, but that was quicly sorted out at Reich, Cannock.

Regards
Terry Birch
The tourer days are over, we now have an Hobby D500 GESC.

Have not tried the movers since adjusting them to the correct distance from the tyres, but I must remember not to tighten them up against the tyres too much. This is in case this overloads the motors and trips the unit out.

I managed to do this recently when I forgot about the wheel chock and the whole lot just stopped. After much panic and reading the instructions for the first time I managed to reset and all was OK

Lunar Ultima 560 towed by VW Tiguan 2. 0TDi

The torque figures given in the installation manual (downloadable from the Reich site) are 30 Nm for both the main clamps and the "protection clamps" which isn't enormously tight. The manual also suggests 15mm as the clearance to the tyre. It's important to measure this with the van normally laden and in its normal attitude.

Our Reich was originally fitted by the supplying dealer and had too great a clearance causing much distress and foul language on a rainswept and dark first night in France!

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2, 1986 Honda XBR500

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.