Whiffy Drains!

Ian22

Wonder if anyone could share how they keep all drainage outlets/loos smelling sweet, we do what we imagine is the norm i. e. hot soapy water, occasionally bleach, for the loo we use Thetford pink fluid to freshen the tank each time it is emptied and replace the Thetford blue fluid, we recently changed from the Elsan organic fluid to see if it made a difference but we still get the problem from time to time, we can suddenly smell an eggy whiff and it's difficult to tell if it's the loo, or drainage from the sinks/shower - any ideas please?

I block off the drains and fill them with hot water with flash in it, leave for a couple of mins and let it out. Keeps the drains nice and fresh

just done ours, flushed system through with miltons, then clean water, followed by a bucket off florazol split between the shower and sinks down the blug hole. we use florazol at work on peoples drains, If It can make them smell sweet a caravan should ne no problem

I found that it was the concertina like waste pipes that cause a problem in mine - the gunge gets stuck to the grooves and no amount of flushing out with Milton/bleach/hot water etc cleared it - In the end I managed to do what Tigger suggested and blocked the ends but I used a weak'ish bleach solution and it worked fine - Some people seem to change out the waste pipes for the type of rigid waste pipes used in houses as they don't trap the gunge so readily!

We take a plunger with us. Fill sink or shower and pump it up and down. You will be amazed at the gunk that comes out. Smell goes immediately.

We take a plunger with us. Fill sink or shower and pump it up and down. You will be amazed at the gunk that comes out. Smell goes immediately.

Do be careful doing this as some sinks are plastic. We recently had to replace a customers sink due to the plunger breaking the bottom of the sink area! costly to say the least as it was a moulded vanity unit!

Do be careful doing this as some sinks are plastic. We recently had to replace a customers sink due to the plunger breaking the bottom of the sink area! costly to say the least as it was a moulded vanity unit!

I don't go mad!

We use Zoflora. Pour a bottle down each drain. ... Smells nice for days. ... Pretty cheap at the moment at Home Bargains. ...

Just bung the drain end. .. pour down the Zoflora with hot water and leave to stand for a while. ...

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

I put a u-bend in the kitchen sink drain and replaced most of the flexible waste pipe with rigid pipe and thismade a vast difference. We also bock the outlets on a regular basis and fill the pipes with a diluted bleach mixture, which we leave in overnight then give it a good flush out

We experienced a strong smell in the kitchen sink during the day, the second time out with the new van, noticed when I got under van that the rigid pipework was clipped to the floor, and had no "drop", hence when sited water became stagnant, after fitting blocks between brackets and floor producing the drop cured the smell, to help get the waste water away from the shower, I put a drop on this too, helping the water to drain quicker. To help in the freezing temps, I also wrapped pipe lagging clipped with cable ties, this worked perfectly during our last years winter vanning.

If your plugs/drains smell it's quite possibly your wastemaster. To prevent this I always put a couple of capfuls of dettol or disinfectant in when packing up. That way when you next come to set up it smells much better than nothing.

We use Domestos in the wastemaster and now and then down the drains pipes. Block off the outlet with a plastic bag between the pipe you use normally and the outlet and fill the sinks with hot water. Leave for a few a period (30/60 mins) and then drain into a bucket to see if it is working. Stand back when you unplug. :huh:

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Hi Many thanks to all the people that replied. I will take on board all the comments, again many thanks.

Archived