Unicorn Water Pump Runs Every Few Minutes

ColinS

Hello

Hope someone can help.

In my Valencia we have just started having a problem with the water pump.

It has started running very briefly (maybe a second or so) without the taps being open. It does this every few minutes, between 5 and 10 minutes apart.

I have checked all the joints I can get at and can see no leaks. The taps don't leak so I cannot see how it is losing pressure. I have had previous vans with pressure switched water systems that had adjustable pressure setting but not on this van as far as I can see.

Has anybody had a similar problem or any ideas for what to look at or do.

Thanks

Colin

Hello

Hope someone can help.

In my Valencia we have just started having a problem with the water pump.

It has started running very briefly (maybe a second or so) without the taps being open. It does this every few minutes, between 5 and 10 minutes apart.

I have checked all the joints I can get at and can see no leaks. The taps don't leak so I cannot see how it is losing pressure. I have had previous vans with pressure switched water systems that had adjustable pressure setting but not on this van as far as I can see.

Has anybody had a similar problem or any ideas for what to look at or do.

Thanks

Colin

Sounds like a faulty pressure switch, or faulty accumulator.

Assuming no leaks as you say, a job for the dealer?

Is it the same with in on board tank selected?

Edited by xtrailman

This is a common problem - dirt under the valve head. There are loads of posts about it but the search facility on the forum seems to be 'non-responsive' since the last update.

if you can't get back to your dealer (pump has a two year guarantee) the best thing you can do is phone Whale and they will put you right.

I too had this problem and it was a leak at the back of the shower mixer tap. Check at the bottom of your laundry basket for any water. Lets hope i'm wrong.

Yes its the same on the on board tank.

I could take it back to the dealer as its still under warranty buts its a hassle. Is the valve head serviceable?

Colin

I could take it back to the dealer as its still under warranty buts its a hassle. Is the valve head serviceable?

Colin

It is but it looks complicated to me, you have quite a few components. And £80 plus for a new pump.

http://www. whalepumps. com/popup. php?n=exploded&image=smartFlo_exploded. gif&w=822&h=713&bgcolor=ffffff

This problem if due to grit is probably due to the lack of inlet strainer, its fitted to the one on the Whale site, but not on my unicorn.

I would take it back to the dealer, or try to get them to come to you.

This is a common problem - dirt under the valve head. There are loads of posts about it but the search facility on the forum seems to be 'non-responsive' since the last update.

if you can't get back to your dealer (pump has a two year guarantee) the best thing you can do is phone Whale and they will put you right.

The search system is now up and running faster now

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Colin

You can - by arrangement - take the pump itself back to the dealer for exchange without having to take the van. Beware that the new pump won't come with a caravan three way socket on the wires so make a careful note of which colour wire on the pump goes to which colour wire on the van. It's not what you would expect.

Did you ring Whale as I suggested?

And yep, the search system is up and running and the whole site now is an improvement - not that there was anything wrong with the old site, just one or two things are slicker. I hope the 'L' comes up in that last word or I'm really inforit!

Edited by bartow

I thought the pump running briefly every now and then was normal in this type of system.

Didn`t regard it as a fault,

Bob

I thought the pump running briefly every now and then was normal in this type of system.

Didn`t regard it as a fault,

Bob

Not every ten minuets.

Thanks for the replies.

I think I've decided to get it fixed under warranty. The pump itself looks more complicated in the exploded view than I thought it would be.

Colin

I had this problem and added a one way valve on the intake side of the pump. It cured the problem but made the pump operation very noisy. I have since removed the one way valve and the issue has gone. Perhaps the grit became dislodged from the pump!

You do not say what type of pump it is, I assume it is inboard like my sureflow plump, there is another thread on this, I commented that the final solution was to fit a non return valve between the water inlet and the internal pump. The pump valves act as non return valves, but are prone to leaking due to muck getting into the pump even though there is a carbon filter on the water pick up.

You can ge a push fit non return valve for about £8

Edit, my pump is a Whale Smartflo.

Really your dealer should do it under warrenty, but I suppose he may say you hadn't changed your filter (even though you probably had).

These in the pipe, inline, non return valves seem to be a standard spare at caravan dealers.

The Whale website is very good for downloading leaflets, there is a sectional drawing of the smartflo there, but it does look like a lot of springs / washers / valves to reassemble and no actual instructions. Anyone taken one apart?

If you don't or can't get it fixed under warranty then rather than stripping down the pump you can fit a non-return valve. This is the route I shall be taking.

poolebob

Sorry but that's a bit like saying that if your car engine has a strange knocking sound you can fix it by turning the radio up, The fault is there and needs fixing. With a Smartflow it's usually grit under one or more of the four valve heads. It's not rocket science to fix it or just have it changed under warranty.

Edited by bartow

Sorry but that's a bit like saying that if your car engine has a strange knocking sound you can fix it by turning the radio up, The fault is there and needs fixing. With a Smartflow it's usually grit under one or more of the four valve heads. It's not rocket science to fix it or just have it changed under warranty.

Have you taken one apart? was it easy? do you have any instructions? The exploded view on Whale's site is not really good enough to strip it down.

Have you taken one apart? was it easy? do you have any instructions? The exploded view on Whale's site is not really good enough to strip it down.

Yes. It's dead easy. The only thing to beware of is to not lose any washers when you take the motor off the pump body and make sure you see what order things come off in so that you can put them back properly. There are no nasty surprises. You need a longish screwdriver to get down to the centre screw holding the pump head to the motor.

When you've got it apart you clean gently under the plastic valves and wash them out with clean water. Do it in a bowl.

Edited by bartow

Yes. It's dead easy. The only thing to beware of is to not lose any washers when you take the motor off the pump body and make sure you see what order things come off in so that you can put them back properly. There are no nasty surprises. You need a longish screwdriver to get down to the centre screw holding the pump head to the motor.

When you've got it apart you clean gently under the plastic valves and wash them out with clean water. Do it in a bowl.

thanks