Have You Ever Had A Blowout At Speed

BOAC

Hi Everyone,

I am conducting a bit of research on this posting to discover how many of you have viewed this to the ratio of how many answer that you have had blowouts.

Please answer - even if it is a plain - YES.

Thanks

Pete

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please answer - even if it is a plain - YES.

Thanks

Pete

Would a plain NO do as well?

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Would a plain NO do as well?

I don't know.

Look - don't confuse me.

I look at the number of views and the posted YES's and figure it out from there.

See?

BO

No . ......

I haven't

&

No

I don't see.

Confused? You will be. ......

MumnTed

I don't know.

Look - don't confuse me.

I look at the number of views and the posted YES's and figure it out from there.

See?

BO

Oh! Now I see what you are trying to do. The number of replies versus the number of views.

So a NO will not do :(

Sorry about that, would you like to start again :lol:

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Caravan & car then No. After a friday night out & next day consequence then yes :wacko:

YEAH - me too. Theres a coincidence.

Is this worth a new topic???

BO

Our freinds had there van seviced picked the van up from the dealers where it was serviced and continued the journey towards holiday destination. ...on the motorway the wheel came off and bounced around the lanes of the motorway and where the wheel was catching the van it set the van on fire. ...so check wheel nuts are tight before a journey the dealers who serviced the van didnt !!!

Yep - 60ish - middle lane very very busy M1 - Debris on road - bloody loud bang - offside gone - tyron bands - made it non event - Old Kia Sorento and Lunar EB - 30 mins hard shoulder - well done green flag - Especially well done boys in blue who risk life and limb clearing debris (Cause) and what was left my tyre - tyrons may have saved our life never know but then you can't prove a negative - new van tyrons - not half.

Speak up I can't hear you.

Our freinds had there van seviced picked the van up from the dealers where it was serviced and continued the journey towards holiday destination. ...on the motorway the wheel came off and bounced around the lanes of the motorway and where the wheel was catching the van it set the van on fire. ...so check wheel nuts are tight before a journey the dealers who serviced the van didnt !!!

When I have collected my van after having a service, there is always a sticker telling you to tighten your wheel nuts/bolts after a maximum of 50 miles, and it is repeated on the invoice.

Hi Pete, why not set up a poll? Could provide some useful info if you ask the right q's :)

Oh, and I have had 2 punctures driving solo but no blowouts.

Tim
Developer | Caravan Talk

Punctures aplenty over the years, worst at speed on a motorbike! Thankfully none on the van.

Coachman Amara 380/2

Hi Pete, why not set up a poll? Could provide some useful info if you ask the right q's :)

Yes, a poll might be interesting. I presume we're talking caravan tyres here not car? Questions? Puncture or blowout? Damage? Age of tyre? Tyre manufacturer?

Er, no problems with caravan tyres here.

John.

LePhantom, hope you didn't suffer any major injuries! What bike were you riding?

Leedslad, I like that idea, also probably worth asking if Tyrons were used and was there any significant damage/injury caused.

Tim
Developer | Caravan Talk

We did witness a blow-out that scared the living daylights out of us.

Driving solo on the middle lane of the A7 near Aix En Prevance, just starting to pass an HGV. There was an almighty bang and the rear of the truck lifted about a foot, my car jumped about 3 inches sideways, and there was a cloud of what looked like brown smoke from under the lorry. One of its nearside tyres had blown, glad it wasn't the offside.

Just think of the damage that would do alongside a caravan.

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Thanks Ben,

I will do that but it requires careful thinking to get the right answers to form an accurate conclusion.

Thinking cap on

regards

Pete

I was towing at 70mph (learnt a lesson there) and BANG! blowout in the rear tyre. ..I was riding my Goldwing GL1100 and towing a Squire trailer, Mrs was on the back of the bike. Scared the living daylights out of me. ...Massive tank slapper but somehow managed to get it onto the hard shoulder. ..

Still tow a trailer beind the bike and have probably towed at least 150k with the bike over the years all over Europe.

LePhantom, hope you didn't suffer any major injuries! What bike were you riding?

benf i had a valve stem split on the rear wheel of my yamaha fzr 1000 exup at over 60mph, quite scary is what you could print!!!, just tipped it into a series of bends and thought whooaa thats not right managed to slow down and with a 180 section rear tyre it stayed on the rim . after looking " phoned a friend" who brought a new valve stem and core and small compressor and we fixed it at the roadside, also had the front one changed within the hour as that had perished, that was over 17 years ago but i can still remember it :ph34r: :ph34r: , jim

Yes, on the M5 south, between Frankley services and junction 4, 60mph downhill on a bend. Tyrons fitted and another none event. ..... other than ripping the floor out of the 'van. Tyres less than 3 years old and checked for damage and pressure less than 30mins prior to the explosion.

http://s624. photobuc. ..iche%20blowout/

Yes, 3 in one journey. 15 years ago, just bought a second hand van, was on the A9 in Scotland when the first tyre blew (speed 50 mph), manage to get it into a layby and change the wheel. Five miles down the road the other tyre blew, lucky another layby, wife stayed with van. Found a garage open (Sunday morning) and bought 2 new tyres, changed that wheel and set off. Then just as I was pulling into the caravan site, the original spare went flat, had a look and found a nail in it, not really a blow out. The others blew due to age, never trust tyres from a second hand van.

My father in law was behind in his motorhome and when he saw the problem he overtook and got me to slow down, and get into the side before any damage was done to the van.

Since then none.

Does a front wheel blowout (2) on a bike count. LOL

Yikes. Dave.

It seems that in some cases the Bands - pressure monitors and anything else cannot prevent damage.

I hope you got it repaired okay, and thanks for the photos.

Another factor occurs to me - what make of tyre was it please, and could the tyre have been faulty manufacturing?

Regards

Pete

Yes.

NSF on a 1993 twin axle Avondale Leda Pentland (60mph lane two). A 1/2" bolt penetrated the tread. The tyre instantly deflated and the tyre walls were shredded before I could stop (M4 near Reading). The "culprit" was still resting inside the remains of the carcass. Ten minutes later we were on our way again, thanks to the easy access to the nice clean spare wheel from inside the caravan. The tyre that was damaged was less than a year old.

Yes again.

NSR of Kia Sorento XT damaged by debris on M5 motorway (55mph lane one). Maybe not an instant blow out this time, but certainly a rapid deflation (10 seconds or so), and a tense moment as the caravan kicked to one side briefly. On to the hard shoulder again for a tyre swap. Discovered that spare was a 245 width, where the car tyres were 255 width. Car bought new from Kia, so had words with them and traded the car in soon after. The spare in my opinion, should be identical to those on the car. The car was great as a towcar, but I would never buy another for towing if they can't supply a full size spare. Tyre was about four years old.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Leedslad, I like that idea, also probably worth asking if Tyrons were used and was there any significant damage/injury caused.

A Honda 250cc with a pillion passenger on a dual carriageway near Oxford. .. I managed to keep control for a bit but it was a blow out and eventually we went down, my major concern was that we would get run over but fortunately the other traffic realised there was a problem and we were lucky. Female passenger was badly shaken and had some relatively minor injuries, we had the right gear on so got away without as much damage as there might have been. Still pretty nasty, it turned out a spoke had worked through and punctured in the inner tube from within, bang!

One of the other drivers said at first he thought we were attempting a U Turn!!

Coachman Amara 380/2

Yes.

NSF on a 1993 twin axle Avondale Leda Pentland (60mph lane two). A 1/2" bolt penetrated the tread. The tyre instantly deflated and the tyre walls were shredded before I could stop (M4 near Reading). The "culprit" was still resting inside the remains of the carcass. Ten minutes later we were on our way again, thanks to the easy access to the nice clean spare wheel from inside the caravan. The tyre that was damaged was less than a year old.

Gordon.

Gordon,

Did you have Tyrons fitted?

Pete

Archived