Burstners And Imported Caravans

shar

Looking for information on imported caravans.

12 volt zig type units missing?

No leisure battery?

options for 12 volt power with no hookup?

Depends. If the caravan is imported by a concessionaire or approved agent the van may be converted, or modified, either by the importer or at the factory, to suit the U. K. . market.

Many European caravans are delivered, ex-factory, without a battery and, therefore, without a charging system. They are usually fitted with a high output transformer (mine is 400 watt/33 amp) which provides sufficient 12 volt power to operate all the low voltage equipment when on an EHU. The van is usually wired via the 7/13 pin plug to provide a 12 volt supply from the car when coupled up. Modifying the set up to provide a battery and charger is not particularly difficult and the cost is related to the quality of the equipment used. German factory or dealer options, if available, tend to be VERY expensive but you will get superb quality parts.

As I have had four imported vans, if I can help, send me a PM.

Hi thankyou for response. ...our burstner is 10 years old we bought private the couple we bought it of had it from new bought from a caravan show. We have some kind of fuse box thing in the wardrobe that must convert lights to 12 volt but we have to be hooked to mains for the lights to come on. ....we are unsure of what would be cheapest / best option for us to do for a fall back if we dont have hookup to mains. ..would a 2nd hand zig be easy to put in ? ( we know an auto electrician ) or other options ?

A few years ago, on what used to be The Hobby Caravan Owners Club web site, there was a lot of good information on just this very topic. Doc had superb info, and this link takes you to a wiring diagram for adding a 12V battery to a continental van with only mains supply.

http://home-and-gard. ..044315232JIdAle

Any 'competent person' can do this DIY modification.

There are other pics in that library that are additional to this theme.

Hope this helps.

P. S. I did this on my former Hobby caravan after experiencing a mains failure on a caravan site and I only had mains at that time. We spent hours in total darkness with no 12volt; we had to hook up to the car to get that, which made me anxious about using the car battery!!

Edited by KeithMcC

Oh thankyou for that will take a look. .....we are just wanting that bit of backup for that just incase situation and we too were thinking if we hookup to the car it would flaten the battery

Just been looking at the hymer topic about hinges on front locker. ...i think burstners are made by hymer ??? we have a burstner just had it for a few months when we go back to our site i will take a look and report back after our 2wk autum hol in it next week.

But although its eary days having changed from our luvli avondale wren we are so so pleased with our burstner i think it will last us out!!!

. ..i think burstners are made by hymer ???

Burstner caravans are made by. ............ Burstner.

Hymer make . ...Hymer and Eriba caravans

G'day BeeJay m8,

Some simple investigations by the GOOGLE MACHINE reveal this;

Bürstner

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Burstner is a manufacturer of recreational vehicles ( caravans, mobile homes and mobile homes ), and part of the Hymer Group . The vehicles are produced in Germany and in neighboring Alsace ( Wissembourg produced). Mid-2010 Burstner employed at both sites over 900 employees.

Around 350 traders operating at European level for sales and service of the brand. In the 2009/2010 financial year generated sales of Bürstner around 300 million

Takeover by Hymer

On 1 February 1998, the company of the Hymer AG. In 2000 contributed a production of 11,000 units Bürstner and a turnover of € 148. 2 million of total earnings. The number of employees rose to 710

At the former manufacturing site in Kehl-Neumühl 2004, the customer service center was created. [1] .

For the year ended 31 August 2011 fiscal year coming to an end, the company expects a turnover of approximately € 295 million.

The accessories for vehicles of the Bürstner Movera GmbH sold, another subsidiary of the Hymer Group.

CONCLUSION:

I would think this is a HYMER Company, same chassis as Hymer but different body.

Bluey

CONCLUSION:

I would think this is a HYMER Company, same chassis as Hymer but different body.

Bluey

Hymers use a BPW chassis, so there are quite a few other manufacturer's using same chassis, but a different body!

:rolleyes:

Bluey

Sorry Cobber but I took the question at face value. ........."i think burstners are made by hymer "..... not as "owned by Hymer".

Separate factories and different chassis and running gear in some cases.

Same applies to cars as to who owns what as opposed to who makes what.

Looking for information on imported caravans.

12 volt zig type units missing?

No leisure battery?

options for 12 volt power with no hookup?

Owned a Burstner Belcanto 535ts from new in 2007, this was the last year Burstner imported vans to this country.

It had a zig type charger unit.

It did not come with a leisure battery, exactly the same as British made vans, you have to supply it. It had a battery locker the same as uk vans.

All the lighting was 12volt and worked on mains or battery.

Dave

Hymers use a BPW chassis, so there are quite a few other manufacturer's using same chassis, but a different body!

:rolleyes:

That is news to me for 9 years now I could have sworn that my caravan had an Alko chassis on it, perhaps those letters on it mean something else on a BPW chassis.(:-)

That is news to me for 9 years now I could have sworn that my caravan had an Alko chassis on it, perhaps those letters on it mean something else on a BPW chassis.(:-)

Well in part it is correct; whilst your and both my Novas have been on Al-Ko chassis I noted that the 2009/10 Feeling of a Dutchman neighbour was built on a BPW chassis.

I had an old Adria with no battery, the biggest problem was finding somewhere to put it.

• 1 month later...

Hi, just this year I came back into the world of caravans. I live in France and found a one owner 'mint' Axxor Morea from 1996. It has no leisure battery and the lights all remain on 12v through an inverter when on mains hook up. It also has 13 pin wiring. My car had only the 7 pin 12n. I tried an adaptor, but this only worked the vans exterior road lights. Nothing inside would work.

I had a 13 pin fitted to the car and now I can use the car battery to power the vans internal lights, loo flush and fridge - no relay for the fridge so need to remember to switch off! This is the norm' for vans over here. Oh no hot water, no oven, and only 2 hobs, lol.

I intend to make up an extension so I can connect the car when it is parked alongside the van for the lights when wild parking, but have also fitted those 4 led 'disc lights' next to each of the internal lights so I am not using too much car battery. In fact with the led lights now in place, the only 'job' for the car battery is the water pump and loo flush. I run the fridge on gas if wild parking too.

I toyed with the idea of fitting a leisure battery and hot water system, but settled with the above option. Cheaper, easier and the kettle provides the hot stuff.

Hi, just this year I came back into the world of caravans. I live in France and found a one owner 'mint' Axxor Morea from 1996. It has no leisure battery and the lights all remain on 12v through an inverter when on mains hook up. It also has 13 pin wiring. My car had only the 7 pin 12n. I tried an adaptor, but this only worked the vans exterior road lights. Nothing inside would work. I had a 13 pin fitted to the car and now I can use the car battery to power the vans internal lights, loo flush and fridge - no relay for the fridge so need to remember to switch off! This is the norm' for vans over here. Oh no hot water, no oven, and only 2 hobs, lol. I intend to make up an extension so I can connect the car when it is parked alongside the van for the lights when wild parking, but have also fitted those 4 led 'disc lights' next to each of the internal lights so I am not using too much car battery. In fact with the led lights now in place, the only 'job' for the car battery is the water pump and loo flush. I run the fridge on gas if wild parking too. I toyed with the idea of fitting a leisure battery and hot water system, but settled with the above option. Cheaper, easier and the kettle provides the hot stuff.

Hi Paul,

I too live in France, could you allow me to know where i could legally go " wild camping " with my caravan ? Catch ya later,indoors.

Edited by indoors

Hi Paul,

I too live in France, could you allow me to know where i could legally go " wild camping " with my caravan ? Catch ya later,indoors.

Hi 'indoors'. Well most of my 'wild camps' are at agility competitions, where we arrive the day before & leave the day after to make a 'weekend' of it, so on private land with prior permission. That said, around here most towns have a 'wild camping' area where you can pitch up, empty chemical loo etc. Mainly set up for motorhomes, as you know they are much more common but have seen vans use them too. A lot of folks 'hop' from one of these places to another & occaisionally book into a camping municipal to catch up with the laundry and the like.

regards