Water Supply Failure-Help Please.

Caravan Crew

Hi,

Sorry to post a want for help thread as soon as i join, but could do with some advise or pointers please.

The van is an Ace Harmony 1993, not sure of tap make, but photo supplied if someone can identify it.

Water supply has never been great. Kitchen, cold was a good supply, hot, only really gave when cold was also turned on??

Bathroom, no cold, hot every now and again.

We were away this weekend, i set up and the pump was pumping. Then nothing! Nothing triggers the pump to pump now. I asked a fellow caravanner with the same pump to test mine, it works( Caver Truma Crystal)

The cold tap did used to click when turned on, from what i've read is it a micro switch problem, although the other 3 taps do click. I have taken the tap to bits and can see the metal switch. I cannot find any new ones like it to buy though.

Fuses are ok, am i looking in the right direction? Ignore the wire you see, i tied that to the water pipe to stop it disappearing.

Any advise would be great ta.

Cheers

Paul

post-46159-0-49583500-1317762075_thumb.jpg

I removed the tap wires and fitted a heavy duty push button that I could press with my knee. No joke.

It was an older van but it made the pump run when I needed it.

The heavy duty is because it can get hot because of the amps in the circuit.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

could be a dirty/bad connection where the pump plugs into the van. I had this on an ace harmony and cleaned up the connections and opened then pins up a bit and problem solved.

If you have a multimeter put it across the pins on the van with the taps turned on to check you have 12V, if no multimeter then lash up a 12v lightbulb or a 12v tester from halfords. If no supply then the microswitches or circuit from them is faulty and needs tracing to the pump plug in the van.

Good luck

Hi Paul,

Whale is the manufacturer I normally associate with caravan taps, and the micro switches on these are readily available from most caravan dealers. In most cases these simply push into place, with electrical connections being made by a couple of spade terminals. Looking at your thumbnail though, while it may be a Whale, it could also be an early Novo unit.

Whatever the make of tap; I suspect the fault is either with the micro switch itself, a broken connection, or dirty contacts on the pump inlet.

Do you have another tap in the caravan, and if so, does that operate the pump? If it does, then the fault cannot be with something common to both circuits, such as the pump or inlet connection.

Good luck,

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Your tap is a DELUXE MIXER TAP microswitches are still available but they are almost a waste of time to fit as they take you longer to fit than to fit a new tap, the more you fiddle with the older ones the more likely they are to leak as well. A new identical tap is roughly £30. Hope this has helped you

Your tap is a DELUXE MIXER TAP microswitches are still available but they are almost a waste of time to fit as they take you longer to fit than to fit a new tap, the more you fiddle with the older ones the more likely they are to leak as well. A new identical tap is roughly £30. Hope this has helped you

Ok thanks for that. Do i have to fit the same make of tap, or could it be any mixer tap with built in switches?

the problem you have is that the holes are in the correct position for that tap, if you fit something different you may need to adjust them or plate them over, we have plated in the past. Personally I would fit the same again as it is inkeeping with the age of the caravan and also they were good taps, dont often have problems with them.

Many thanks to Leawoodcaravansltd for providing me with a link to the tap i need. I couldn't find one in all my searches. I have fiddled about a lot today with the tap. I can get it to operate the pump and pump water, but it messes about, then doesn't fully turn water off etc.

I had a go, give in and buy a new tap i think :lol:

Archived