Sticky Mastic

tartancaravan

Hi,

I bought a new Quasar 546 in April this year and was very surprised to find that on the first outing pine needles which blew onto the roof stuck to the mastic around the 4 roof-lights. I have tried to remove them and they are stuck fast! I understand that the mastic needs to stay soft and flexible to deal with expansion and general movement while towing but in 10 years and 4 vans have never come across this sort of problem before. I spoke to the supplying dealer who has suggested that this stickiness is normal but I find his response questionable, I'm also concerned that the pine needles will encourage moss and potentially lead to dampness.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts about the sticky mastic, my view is that the van was in use only a couple of days after being built and the mastic may not have "skinned" over.

Thanks,

Mike :)

The mastic does not skin over because it always stays flexible, which is just what you want to keep out the water.

You will find the sticky mastic also attracts flies, leafs, black muck etc.

Frankly I'd rather had sticky mastic and know its doing the job it was designed to do.

Don't worry this is normal and just what you need to see.

Lunar Ultima 560 towed by VW Tiguan 2. 0TDi

you are of course correct in the need for the mastic to remain flexible for the reason stated. You may also be correct on the 'skinning over' comment as well, but i would find it unlikely that the van was in use that quickly :huh: :huh: . of allthe mastics and sealents i have used they have all formed a 'skin' after a few hours . ..

Hi,

I bought a new Quasar 546 in April this year and was very surprised to find that on the first outing pine needles which blew onto the roof stuck to the mastic around the 4 roof-lights. I have tried to remove them and they are stuck fast! I understand that the mastic needs to stay soft and flexible to deal with expansion and general movement while towing but in 10 years and 4 vans have never come across this sort of problem before. I spoke to the supplying dealer who has suggested that this stickiness is normal but I find his response questionable, I'm also concerned that the pine needles will encourage moss and potentially lead to dampness.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts about the sticky mastic, my view is that the van was in use only a couple of days after being built and the mastic may not have "skinned" over.

Thanks,

Mike :)

hi mike i to am from glasgow and picked up my new quaser 546 in april of this year i have had a few problems with this van

not all lunar faults it was damaged on my drive which resulted in rear skin getting damaged (got quoted over £5000. 00 to fix) i have posted pictures in gallery

the main fault i have is that my window is letting in water at middle bunk i have looked at seal and it is coming in there also the water pump has stoped pumping after only using the van no more than 5 times

one of my kids has snapped the arial socket while sitting on front seats the socket is at floor level and he hit with his foot when he sttod up and snaped it (I think this is a bad design it should be up of the floor away from potential damage)

What about you have you had any issues with your van

cheers andy

Digga,

Thanks for your very quick reply. Although I'm heartened by your comments you'll see from the attached photo that there are a considerable number of needles stuck to the mastic and this is why I'm a bit concerned about potential moss growth. I'll have a chat with the dealer when I take the van in for some other warranty work on Friday and post an update.

Cheers,

Mike

post-46174-0-35556800-1317765293_thumb.jpg

Guest HappyWanderers

We have a similar issue with our mastic. Lots of leaf bits stuck to it on return from storage which will not come off.

I have reluctantly come to the same conclusion as above that the mastic remains tacky to prevent water and the leaf is something i will have to live with.

I will ask at the next service if there is a way to remove them safely

Dave

Whenever I have come across mastic (admittedly in buildnig, not caravans) it always remains flexible but not actually sticky-wet. Always tends to skin over like you suggest, but as others have mentioned this is over a short few hours.

Its interesting that if the mastic did stay sticky-wet permanently, then presumably you would be able to remove the needles but as you say, they are stuck fast which implies that the mastic has indeed now set/skinned (albeit remaining flexible, just in a stable form). So if it wasnt set when you got it but is set now, then that would not sound like its supposed to be that way.

I have my Quasar 546 on order so thanks for highlighting this as I will check when our van arrives (also worries me a little)

Cheers

Alex

Edited by Alex and Sarah

Hmm,

Out of the three reported cases here (have I counted correctly) two of them seem to be within the same manufacturing block of early 2011. HappyWanderers can I ask when your van was manufactured please to see if its 3/3?

Just wondering if there was a dodgy match of sealant for that factory run or whether it marks a change in the product they have been using.

Interesting

Alex

We have a 2011 model Quasar off the early production run purchased in Oct 2010 and the mastic was a bit sticky to start with but now has a non sticky skin on it.

hi mike i to am from glasgow and picked up my new quaser 546 in april of this year i have had a few problems with this van

not all lunar faults it was damaged on my drive which resulted in rear skin getting damaged (got quoted over £5000. 00 to fix) i have posted pictures in gallery

the main fault i have is that my window is letting in water at middle bunk i have looked at seal and it is coming in there also the water pump has stoped pumping after only using the van no more than 5 times

one of my kids has snapped the arial socket while sitting on front seats the socket is at floor level and he hit with his foot when he sttod up and snaped it (I think this is a bad design it should be up of the floor away from potential damage)

What about you have you had any issues with your van

cheers andy

Andy,

Sorry to hear about you hassle with the leak - presume this is a warranty issue but I imagine it'll be a worry until fixed. There are independent caravan maintenance and repir companies in the west of Scotland who'll come to your house and it might be worth tracking one of them down if you have any concerns about residual dampness after the dealer has looked at it.

I agree with you about the design of the TV points as both the front and rear ones are vulnerable - our front one has been damaged slightly although I can't blame the kids as it was down to my big feet. I'm thinking about mounting the TV on the side of the wardrobe but this will need a bit of research and planing so I won't be doing it until over the winter. I also think you're right about the water pump as the connection on the side of the van is too low which makes connecting it to a standard 40 litre aquaroll a bit tricky, shame because you'd only need to move the connection up 2 or 3 cm to cure the problem. I've had a couple of minor electrical problems (radio and fridge) but expect these to be dealt with under warranty. Oh, and the lacquer on one of the alloys is blemished in small areas, again should be a warranty replacement.

All of the issues have been relatively minor and we're still really pleased with the van. We were counting up and since early April we've managed 50 nights away so it's certainly being well used.

Cheers,

MIke

The problem with the water inlet is the Truma hose is to stiff especially during cold weather I have changed the inlet hose on mine to a Carver hose like this one http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/CARAVAN-TRUMA-CARVER-CRYSTAL-2-WHALE-WATER-PUMP-HOSE-/180724412048?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item2a1403ae90 the figure of eight configuration of the hose allows you to pass the wire to the pump down one side and the water passes down the other it makes the whole inlet hose so much better and stops the inlet plug falling apart.

And the old hose can be replaced if there is a warranty issue.

Guest HappyWanderers

Hmm,

Out of the three reported cases here (have I counted correctly) two of them seem to be within the same manufacturing block of early 2011. HappyWanderers can I ask when your van was manufactured please to see if its 3/3?

Just wondering if there was a dodgy match of sealant for that factory run or whether it marks a change in the product they have been using.

Interesting

Alex

Hi Alex

Ours is a 2010

David

The problem with the water inlet is the Truma hose is to stiff especially during cold weather I have changed the inlet hose on mine to a Carver hose like this one http://www. ebay. co. u. ..=item2a1403ae90 the figure of eight configuration of the hose allows you to pass the wire to the pump down one side and the water passes down the other it makes the whole inlet hose so much better and stops the inlet plug falling apart.

And the old hose can be replaced if there is a warranty issue.

Steve, Thanks for the tip about the hose, I've already popped the housing open on the inlet end and that was in warm weather! It was easy to clip back together but i could see it breaking when the plastic is cold and possibly a bit brittle. I've ordered a Carver hose from the link you provided. Mike

• 1 year later...

We had simular problem with last van couldn't open skylights mastic was holding them down but that was on Swift Conquerror!

• 2 years later...

Hi Mike. I'm a new member and just noticed your comments. I have just posted a query about this on this site and just talked to the Caravan Club technical department about the problem. Just before our first trip to Matlock a month or two after getting our 2014 Ace Statesman from Wandahome in South Cave, East Yorks, I was washing the roof and noticed leaves sticking to the mastic round the roof vents. I had some difficulty getting them out because a hose jet would not dislodge them so I had to open the vents to gain access. I am concerned that damp could eventually be caused by this tackiness which allows leaves to puncture or stick to it. The Caravan Club said that tacky mastic was acceptable and this is roughly the same comment that Wandahome's Service manager made when they tang to say the van was ready for collection. It has gone in for a new fridge door (Slight dent spotted by the salesman, now left, when we went to pick up the van in June.) The Caravan Club also suggested a damp test be made to be on the safe side. I will be going to pick up the van on Monday so will check things out then. Very interesting to note so much concern about tacky sealant. Value your comments.

Trevor

This happened to us in the first year of ownership with our Stellar purchased new in 2010.

Parked close to some trees on a windy day.

Lots of pine needles leaves etc, tried to remove them, had a little success but have to say over time they have all disappeared/rotted away. Think the sealent must have set a little harder ov er the last four years as we have never had a repeat of the problem.