Caravan Show - What Is The Catering Like?

GMC

We are off to the NEC next week, and are wondering whether to have lunch etc there, or to go prepared. Would anyone familiar with the Caravan Show care to comment please? If it's the latter, is it possible to get back to the car park and then re-enter afterwards?

Many thanks.

WE ALWAYS TAKE A PACKED LUNCH, SIMPLY THE COST OF BUYING LUNCH AT THE NEC IS CRAZY.

AS FOR LEAVING AND RETURNING TO THE SHOW I AM NOT SURE.

WHATEVER HAVE A REALLY GOOD TIME.

WE LOVE GOING FOR THE ATMOSPHERE AND LOOKING AT ALL THE NEW VANS AND STALLS WITH ALL THAT STUFF YOU DON'T REALLY WANT!

As with most large scale catering, the food is OK but not as good as you would make for youself. When we went to the show, we took time out to return to the van for lunch, we had pitched in the Club site in the car park, which took about 15 mins. The main reason to use the show caterers is that you will need to sit down somewhere to take the weight off your feet and there are very few alternatives. Good luck, enjoy the show.

There is a reasonable Subway sandwich bar there. ... Not much more expensive than normal. There is also a Wetherspoons pub that serves food too. .... Again not as cheap as a normal weatherspoons but if you want to sit down it is better than the cafe's inside the halls.

Exit and re-entry is fine. . Just make sure you have your hand stamped when you walk out. I usually attend the Bike show for most of the duration seeing customers and suppliers. The cafe food is not great. .. Best go out of the halls for food. .. The other thing you may find is a few stalls selling artisan foods as trade stands inside the show too. .... Not sure of prices but some of them do have freshly made cakes and/or sandwiches. Could be expensive. . I really am not sure on that one.

If you do not want to take sandwiches I would say go to Subway or Weatherspoons. ..

As has already been stated- the on-site catering is expensive and the quality is not too good. When I expressed surprise at the very high cost, the catering staff's respone was "Welcome to the NEC madam" which summed it up perfectly - and gave me a bit of a chuckle!!

High prices, queues, dirty tables and rubbish food. We will be following others advice this time and taking a packup or buying sandwiches en route. I would guess coming up from East Sussex, as we do, you will take the M40, a more pleasant run than the M1 M6, There is a Tesco Extra just off junction 4 of the M42, the first junction after the M40. (that is assuming you are driving and not on the train).

From what I recall of the February show 18 months ago it was possible to get a pass out, but the February show is smaller. I recall a post a few days ago by one of our number who talked about leaving their back pack in the cloakroom, then taking a break from the show to have their sandwiches and champagne.

High prices, queues, dirty tables and rubbish food. We will be following others advice this time and taking a packup or buying sandwiches en route. I would guess coming up from East Sussex, as we do, you will take the M40, a more pleasant run than the M1 M6, There is a Tesco Extra just off junction 4 of the M42, the first junction after the M40. (that is assuming you are driving and not on the train).

From what I recall of the February show 18 months ago it was possible to get a pass out, but the February show is smaller. I recall a post a few days ago by one of our number who talked about leaving their back pack in the cloakroom, then taking a break from the show to have their sandwiches and champagne.

Yes you can get a pass out at ALL NEC shows. .. Just get your hand stamped at the doors. ...

Subway sandwiches are fine just like any highstreet subway shop. ... Prices are about10 to 20% higher than the high street but much better than the food sold in the halls. ..

Anybody who buys the overpriced garbage that passes for food at any exhibition has more money than sense-and dead taste buds.

Take your own,at least you know what you're eating. .

Regards.

Col

When we were at the show last year we went to the Lunar stand and talked figures with a sales person - we had no interest in buying but we got a free cup of tea and biscuits!

Thanks for the replies - excellent. 'Going prepared' it is, then.

When we were at the show last year we went to the Lunar stand and talked figures with a sales person - we had no interest in buying but we got a free cup of tea and biscuits!

Hi SamP,

I don't think I would be that hard up for a cup of tea and a few biscuits :( :(

Barry.

Archived