Toilet Full Warning Light

bigbadjohn

The toilet full warning light is staying on in my Pegasus 2 Milan though the tank is empty. Is this a ball valve sticking in the holding tank or could this be something else. The dealer asked me to try shaking it to see if it would free. Unless someone can tell me otherwise it means a 25 mile trip to the dealer to check it out

2011 Pegasus 2 Milan & 2008 2Lt S Max Auto diesel

Useless piece of thetford design.

Its also pretty pointless - we just look through the hole instead.

The toilet full warning light is staying on in my Pegasus 2 Milan though the tank is empty. Is this a ball valve sticking in the holding tank or could this be something else. The dealer asked me to try shaking it to see if it would free. Unless someone can tell me otherwise it means a 25 mile trip to the dealer to check it out

2011 Pegasus 2 Milan & 2008 2Lt S Max Auto diesel

It could be a stuck float in the tank which is why the dealer would reccomend shaking the tank to dislodge it or a read switch pcb both pretty quick jobs.

I notice that the light comes on when I have just emptied the toilet and I just move the flap back and forward a couple of times which seems to make it go off. I am however a bit puzzled how it works and think it works more on weight than level of fill in you get my drift :unsure:

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

I'd remove the batteries - waste of time, you can see when it needs emptying

and if you leave it until its absolutely full - then it's heavy too

Didn't know it had batteries, were are they?

If you look through the flap on the unicorn toilet, i assume peg2 is the same, you can see the float.

But same a tigger we just look through the hole.

may be a bit of toilet paper stuck in it, try putting some water in tank, then turning upside down (flap shut of course) and shake vigoursly to try & dislodge.

Coachman Pastiche tugged by Mazda CX-7, Wine supplied by Sainsburys & sunday Times wine Club.

no batteries,the older ones used to have them,but i think there shoud be a fuse or connection on the inside of the access door you could tamper with to get the light out,it usually comes on a little early anyway when working propely. Visual inspection is better

may be a bit of toilet paper stuck in it, try putting some water in tank, then turning upside down (flap shut of course) and shake vigoursly to try & dislodge.

Not to vigoursly unless you want to break the float

Edited by stuey

There is a float inside the waste tank that operates the switch (magnetically, I think) when the fluid level gets high enough. If you remove the waste tank you wil see the switch at the back of the housing. There is also a fuse there which I guess is for the light.

Our old Thetford C200 series gave us perfect indication of a nearly full tank but this new C250 is useless. It tells us the tank is full when it is only 2/3 full so like the others we rely on estimating when we should empty it by looking down the hole. I can't see any obvious adjustment for the switch - is there any?

I think that 2/3 full is the optimum time to empty it.

Any less and its emptied too often, any more and it gets blooming heavy.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Hi everyone, Thanks for all of your suggestions. At last its now ok. A little "message" was trapped in the float. Obviously carrying the tank to empty it means that everthing goes to the end where the float is and can get trapped.

Thanks you all

John

Hi everyone, Thanks for all of your suggestions. At last its now ok. A little "message" was trapped in the float. Obviously carrying the tank to empty it means that everthing goes to the end where the float is and can get trapped.

Thanks you all

John

The float on our Valencia is at the opposite end to the discharge spout.

Sorry i misread your post.

Edited by xtrailman

• 11 months later...

hi djlanky, same thing happen to me, take the holding tank out and look in the space the tank came from, mat the back there should be a small electronic board mounted on a post, take care and remove from the post, the magnetic read switchis faulty on the board, you can buy a new board from a good dealers shop . .. i think it was about £10

Edited by purplemadboy

hi,

it seem that the unit is a reed switch operated by a magnet in the holding tank, could be that the reed has failed, if this is the case see if you can obtain a replacment from say, maplins . if not try thetford.

david 1220

Depending on the size of the reed it maybe replacable by taking a surface mounted plastic alarm door contact apart. They are readily available from most electrical wholesalers.

Useless piece of thetford design.

Its also pretty pointless - we just look through the hole instead.

Agree Tigger. Only ever see the light come on once since buying the van in 2004.

GAS. ...... :angry:

My Olympus was notorious for not working . come on every now & then . i always flushed the tank when empty as well too free up any loo roll that may have wrapped round huge sensor . although in my 2009 lunar with the previous loo never failed once .

Wonder if the different tanks all seem the same. Ours is the small short grey one and it always seems to work. Also gets a lot of use too.

Access to the waste tank for cleaning etc. is quite easy. On the circular unit where the flap is there are two arrow marks. Turn the centre from one arrow mark to the other and it just lifts out.

I do this a couple of times a year to give the waste tank a good clean.

As far as I know the sensor is based on a magnetic "Hall Effect" sensor.

When the magnet on the float in the water holding tank moves upwards the two electrodes on the plastic upstand detect it and put the light on.

I make sure excess toilet paper isn't holding the sensor down.

Paul

Ours works fine and has done for the 7 years we've had the van.

Mind you I do tend to empty it BEFORE the light comes on.

Mine works like yours. :D:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

If you empty it, before the light comes on, how do you know that the light always comes on?

Swizz