Tyre Pressure Monitor While Travelling

BOAC

There are many and various ways of detecting a flat, and some of the ways involve looking in the rear view mirror to see if the van is out of line with a point on the rear window.

I admit this would indicate a flat, but how often would the driver look in their mirror to check - perhaps once every four minutes at a minimum on average - if that.

A flat could cause a lot of damage in one minute at 60 mph - especially without Tyron bands.

So my question is this.

Click on the link below

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/WIRELESS-TYRE-PRESSURE-TEMPERATURE-MONITORING-SYSTEM-/200640904714?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre_Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item2eb7213e0a

and then answer this question.

Would you rather have this device fitted rather than a Tyron band, or would you choose both?

I suspect that those of you who have suffered a flat - whether explosive or slow, would choose both.

Having never experienced a flat, and I dont look forward to the day when it does happen, although I am Tyron banded, I would feel more comfortable with both systems.

Another question to those of you that have the above device fitted, do you remove the sender while on site to stop them from light fingers or is this not necessay?

Regards

Pete of the BO

Maplins do them as well but make sure they go high enough for your caravan tyre pressures .

i think you need a tool to remove the sender from the valve .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

I'm looking at these monitors myself, although that one by maplin isn't any use for a unicorn, pressures are above 60psi.

There is another one which does two ranges, but i read some were that the sensors are quite heavy, so i would be concerned about wheel balance.

Maplins do them as well but make sure they go high enough for your caravan tyre pressures .

i think you need a tool to remove the sender from the valve .

Dave

Surely the pressure does not matter?

The sensor will detect anything under the set pressure. After all, the system is there to detect a blowout or slow puncture.

It is very rare that a tyre will develop a VERY SLOW puncture I would have thought.

Bo

Edited by Bailey Oklahoma

Hi

I fitted TPMS TyreDog for my Euro trip this year. Gave me a lot of comfort knowing what my caravan tyres were doing. I have tyron bands but will get them removed next time I change tyres I think they are over rated and a real PAIN to remove if you have a flat tyre in Europe.

Because I have been doing quite a lot of Eastern Europe these past couple of years I have also put a pre-puncture sealant into my tyres which I would rate way above Tyron.

You can set a Hi PSI and Lo PSI settings which give an alarm and also high temp approx 60C which will also give alarm as one of the indicators prior to blow out will be excessive heat.

Go for it :)

Alan

. ......................................put a pre-puncture sealant into my tyres which I would rate way above Tyron.

Alan

Thanks Alan,

Please could you provide a link on the item mentioned above. I would certainly concur this would be of more value to me than Tyron bands as well - if it works - so a bit of research required here.

BO

I would also like to hear from those of you that have had blow outs while travelling.

What damage was caused as a result of the blowout please?

I've had over 60 punctures, most were slow punctures due to scrap metal or screws.

Never had a blow out.

Edited by xtrailman

I've had over 60 punctures, most were slow punctures due to scrap metal or screws.

Never had a blow out.

60 ! Good grief ! You must be one of the most unlucky vanners in the world.

Were all of them in your locality or further afield?

60 ! Good grief ! You must be one of the most unlucky vanners in the world.

Were all of them in your locality or further afield?

Only had one caravan puncture, all the others were at work, over 25 years i would average two a year, most i had was 3 in one year.

All stainless steel scrap, dropped onto the roads during delivery, i always do a detour round the roads in that area to avoid the metal on the site junctions.

In the eight years since i left work i have only had two punctures.

I used this one for sealant Puncturesafe Vehicle types. 1 container will be enough for a single axle caravan.

I also put into my 4x4 tyres even though they are Run Flats - I do check them regularly for any signs (blue sealant).

Regards

Alan

Thank you Alan.

Impressive reading on that site.

Regards

Pete

I dont have the tyron bands but do have a similar tpms bought from china before maplins started to do them, i have 2 types on the car i have the sensors that fit into the tyre and on the van the ones that are posted above that go onto the valves, they are put on and taken off by a special tool, i havent had a blow out but had a couple of slow leaks on the valve and one slow puncture on the car tyre just a few weeks ago. although it helps to detect a a puncture, it also helps monitor the tyres at the right pressure so you can adjust them with temperature changes, as the temperature gets colder the pressure will drop in your tyres a few psi same if you go to warmer climates pressure will rise a few psi, the pressure and temp in your tyres will rise when driving normally

. ..... it also helps monitor the tyres at the right pressure so you can adjust them with temperature changes, as the temperature gets colder the pressure will drop in your tyres a few psi same if you go to warmer climates pressure will rise a few psi, the pressure and temp in your tyres will rise when driving normally

Tyre pressures should be set when the tyre is 'cold' i. e not driven for more than 6 hours. There should be no adjustment for ambient temperature which causes a change of 1 psi for every 10 degrees C (and changes occur also with altitude) as these are allowed for in the manufacturer's indicated tyre pressure which is based on the tyre's designed operating temperature in use. .

Hi

I fitted TPMS TyreDog for my Euro trip this year. Gave me a lot of comfort knowing what my caravan tyres were doing. I have tyron bands but will get them removed next time I change tyres I think they are over rated and a real PAIN to remove if you have a flat tyre in Europe.

Because I have been doing quite a lot of Eastern Europe these past couple of years I have also put a pre-puncture sealant into my tyres which I would rate way above Tyron.

You can set a Hi PSI and Lo PSI settings which give an alarm and also high temp approx 60C which will also give alarm as one of the indicators prior to blow out will be excessive heat.

Go for it :)

Alan

Funny thing is I was looking at the tyron site for their TPMS and a current price. I found an old CT thread regarding TPMS and Tyron bands. It was about 3 years ago now and I was saying that Tyron Bands are now all but redundant and the TPMS is the way forward. . I was pulled down and no one seemed to be interested in the system initially. I was pulled apart on how punctures happen and how these systems are not going to stop blow outs. ..

So to see this was good. . I did say at the time by 2011 most cars will have a basic TPMS fitted and Our car Now does! it is basic and has no pressure information but does show when it feels we have a puncture and it really does work. We took the van away for a long weekend when we suffered a slow puncture on the way there. ..The system let us know and we got the tyre fixed on the way to the site.

So glad to see you using this system. ...

have you seen this? i've just fitted this to our 4x4 as where I live is up a dirt track and often pick stuff up. It's extremely accurate! http://www. tyron. co. ..._monitoring. htm

What price did you pay please?

. .......................................rrp for 2 wheel system is £205. 00.

Thanks for your reply, but I must comment on the price of the Tyron system and the below

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/WIRELESS-TYRE-PRESSURE-TEMPERATURE-MONITORING-SYSTEM-/200640904714?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre_Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item2eb7213e0a&clk_rvr_id=271517027134

if they do the same thing (To warn the driver of a puncture / blowout) and one is double the price then . ........................................

Regards

BO

Thanks for your reply, but I must comment on the price of the Tyron system and the below

http://www. ebay. co. u. ..id=271517027134

if they do the same thing (To warn the driver of a puncture / blowout) and one is double the price then . ........................................

Regards

BO

I would check if it does tyre temperature too. .... Pressure is part of the warning but so is temperature. If you have a slower puncture on the road you may get a bit of a pressure drop then it may go back up again due to sidewall flexing and heat build up. .. This is when the tyre is at its worst state and the "Blow out" that people say is instantanious happens about this time. Yes pressure will build above what you had but if the unit's display updates every five minutes this could be the time it takes to let go. .. It is cheap but too much of a compromise. ..Also you need a system that will work up to 60 PSI as a minimum. If your vans tyres are set at 50 psi they will go up several psi in use naturally so could be out of range for the cheaper units.

I would contact these guys and see if they do a 2 wheel kit for the van. This system is rated to 78psi I think and does have a temp sensor function too.

http://www. tyresensors. com/product/107/Tyresure-Retro-Fit-TPMS-Kit-4-wheel-unit

Dont go for one without temp monitoring too. Also make sure the sensors cover the pressure range you need. . I am not telling you to buy the most expensive I am just trying to get you to look at a system that will do the job correctly and offer you good value. .

Edited by morepower

Thanks Morepower.

Just the sort of info we all need. Nothing is ever straight forward, is it?

You said :-

Pressure is part of the warning but so is temperature. If you have a slower puncture on the road you may get a bit of a pressure drop then it may go back up again due to sidewall flexing and heat build up. .. This is when the tyre is at its worst state and the "Blow out" that people say is instantanious happens about this time. Unquote.

Very informative. Thanks.

Bo

No problem. ... I know it sounds odd. .. But the tyre will lose pressure and the carcase will generate heat when the pressure drops. . This heat will expand the air inside the tyre so re-inflating it up to a point. But then the heat in the carcase will cause it to de-laminate and finally tear its self apart which is the thing we call a blow out. .. Radial tyres are good at controlling pressure release in a puncture. .. But weight and heat will do the damage over time and that could be a minute or two so the cheap system may not pick up on this happening. The better systems will. We used a 10Hz system so we could watch what was happening very quickly. We could see heat and pressure changes from corner to corner and see what happened in a puncture at a 10th of a second resolution. .. Very surprising data. ..

I have tyre pressure monitoring in my BMW, but the batteries are designed to last for 7 years minimum. The product in the OP link has a battery life of just 2 years, which would, I suspect, become a chore having wheels and tyres removed so frequently. ... and then re-balanced. ..If you do go ahead, and you have locking wheel nuts to protect alloys, place these on the nuts opposite the valve, to help with balancing (this from BMW)

• 2 weeks later...

On the advice of morepower, I bought one of these at the NEC

http://www. tyrepal. co. uk/

I did not bother with the locking collars - I will simply unscrw them on site since someone could just cut them off with the collars fitted.

The batteries for the senders are in the sender itself, so no need to remove the tyres to fit new batteries on the senders.

Cost me £115 for my BO tyres.

Bo

On the advice of morepower, I bought one of these at the NEC

http://www. tyrepal. co. uk/

. ..

Cost me £115 for my BO tyres.

Bo

Was that a "show" price? Their website seems marginally more expensive. I am presuming you bought the TA22/2?

Edited by RobOwen

Hi Rob,

Yes, that was the show price and it is the TA22.

Regards

Pete

PS I wonder if a Skegway would . .............. Never mind :D