Question: Just how many gear ratios is too many? Well, Hyundai seems to think 10 is the magic number; the Korean automotive giant is developing an in-house-designed 10-ratio automatic gearbox that's due to be slotted into its Equus and Genesis luxury saloons (roughly equivalent to the E-class and S-class) for 2014.

. ...a tiny bit of corporate willy-waving going on here: our gearbox has more ratios than yours. .. na na na-naa na. Etc etc. .

http://www. pistonheads. com/news/default. asp?storyId=24435

I tend to agree with one of the comments posted-surely a CVT 'box is a better solution?

Regards.

Col

Question: Just how many gear ratios is too many? Well, Hyundai seems to think 10 is the magic number; the Korean automotive giant is developing an in-house-designed 10-ratio automatic gearbox that's due to be slotted into its Equus and Genesis luxury saloons (roughly equivalent to the E-class and S-class) for 2014.

. ...a tiny bit of corporate willy-waving going on here: our gearbox has more ratios than yours. .. na na na-naa na. Etc etc. .

http://www. pistonhea. ..p?storyId=24435

I tend to agree with one of the comments posted-surely a CVT 'box is a better solution?

Regards.

Col

Hi Col. The principle behind CVT is relatively bullet proof but I don't think that the make particularly good tow-vehicles at the upper end of the weight ranges of MTPLM.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

I would of thought CVT has moved on a long way since the DAF days . Ford had a go at it about 20 yrs ago in the Fiestas but did not prove a success and dropped it after about 3 yrs if I remember . The biggest problem was the drive belts and as said dont think they would make good tow vehicles running on elastic bands . :lol:

As said gear changing would be continous and have to be auto but might be a fuel saving but the cost of the gearbox if it went wrong who be frightening .

Dave

isn't the CVT system that were the engine runs at fixed revs?

So i wouldn't think its very economical, or am i confusing it with another system?

Drove a 7 speed auto Mercedes a while back, was the most hateful gearbox I have ever encounterted!

Continually swapping ratios every time you touch the throttle got very annoying very quickly - 10 ratios would be a nightmare. ...

Drove a 7 speed auto Mercedes a while back, was the most hateful gearbox I have ever encounterted!

Continually swapping ratios every time you touch the throttle got very annoying very quickly - 10 ratios would be a nightmare. ...

It would have been worse if it was a manual gearbox!

Regards.

Col

Father in law has a Golf that has a six speed auto. I had a go in it and it was really annoying where it kept changing gear every two seconds while you were on a hilly or twisty bit or road. Just drove me mad !

Good news was I had his old Pug 406 Diesel Estatate that he had only managed to put 66k on in nine years. Does a great job with my van too.

I think it will be a few years before this happens but Instantanious gearshift systems will be a way forward especially if they can get it to work as an Auto too. ..

http://www. gizmag. com/xtrac-shows-seamless-gearchange-alternative-to-dual-clutch-transmission/17138/picture/125557/

Here it shows gear shift times compared to a normal racing motorcycle gearbox using an electronic quick shifter which is still way quicker than a car gearbox. Yes I know this is showing a Motorcycle but these gearboxes have been used in car racing but little or no real data has been shown. .. Thanks to my good friend David to finding this information and to those into bikes hope you like his website. .

http://motomatters. com/analysis/2011/03/19/honda_s_magic_gearbox_worth_a_few_hundre. html

If this can be seamless and work with 7 or more gear ratios then it could be a step forward. ... It is still new technology but time will tell. . What is developed in motorsport does filter down usually in 5 to 10 years depending on what it is. .

We have a Renault Scenic with a CVT box. After 30 years of driving " conventional" cars, the CVT sounds like you're slipping the clutch almost continuously as you pull away. However, the power delivery is very smooth ( I might describe it as "jet like", albeit a very low powered one!).

It's not the best tow car in the world but it does a good job pulling our 1295kg van. The car has a maximum towing weight of 1300kgs which 79% of the actual kerb weight.

. .....CVT has moved on a long way since the DAF days. .....

That takes me back in time, remember the DAF Daffodil when I was in senior school!!

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Guest Benzowner

I have a B Class Mercedes with a CVT auto box, probably one of the best I have driven, extremely smooth gear changes and also uses the gearbox for engine breaking when going down hill. If you find the ratios to many in auto, you can always swith the box to manual/semi-auto

2008 Hyundia / Kia 8th in the world production.

2010 Hyundia / Kia 4th in the world.

Long term Aim - be the best.

Whatever they are doing - watch this space.

We have a Renault Scenic with a CVT box. After 30 years of driving " conventional" cars, the CVT sounds like you're slipping the clutch almost continuously as you pull away. However, the power delivery is very smooth. ..

My Dad has recently bought a Nissan SUV with a CVT gearbox. True, if you clog it the engine revs to about 5k & stays there. Quite a weird sensation of constant revs & hard (but very smooth) acceleration. At partial throttle the gearbox behaves more like a conventional auto - I suppose the electonics sense that you don't need to keep the revs in the optimum power band.

It's an 06 Murano 3. 5 V6 petrol. Goes like stink for a 4WD SUV but at 245bhp it should do - especially as the engine is a down-rated version of the 300bhp lump they stick in the 350Z coupe. Downside is lamp-posts to the gallon!

Hi RS. Excellent beast to a family that only have a light caravan and deep pockets or someone else filling the tank. I saw one of these in a dealership the morning that the new model was officially available,ribbons and all.

It weighs circa 1850kgs but only has a maximum braked towing limit of 1500kgs.

The later model had an alternative engine option and the towing limit was increased to 1585kgs.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Hi Rooster. My dad is retired & doesn't tow or do too many miles. He wanted a 4WD to get him up his steep driveway after being stranded for the last 2 winters!

The Murano (for it's age and low mileage) was cheap to buy - probably because of the horrendous consumption & road tax. My dad got his calculator out & worked out that (including lower purchase price & depreciation) the Murano would actually cost him less to run overall (infact quite a lot less) than any other car that meets his needs.

Edited by RhayaderSax