Abby Spectrum 535 Removal Of Shower

meaty

Hi I am new to this forum and looking for advice

I would like to remove the shower from my Abby Spectrum 535 and use the space to extend the kitchen

we have never used the shower and think that the extra space this shower cubicle uses would be better off as kitchen storage and extra worktops

Has any one taken on such a large task?

I have lots of kitchen & cabinetmaking experience and feel this would be a good project for the winter

Any suggestions?

My first question would be. . How long am I going to keep the 'van because I for one would not buy a non-standard no shower caravan. If I was to go ahead, I would think about a modification that could be reversed i. e. could you make a complete unit that would stand alone and fit it over the shower tray? Good luck. Peter :(

Hi Peter

I have been out in my van this year for about 12 weeks and spoken to many people on the subject they seem to think its a good idea

as all the sites we have used so far have all had great washing facility's

all we ever use the shower cubicle for is to carry the water bottles when travelling and my wife hangs clothes in the space

I am planing on keeping this van for at least 4 years and travelling to Europe with her

She is 8 years old now and probably not worth to much

My first question would be. . How long am I going to keep the 'van because I for one would not buy a non-standard no shower caravan. If I was to go ahead, I would think about a modification that could be reversed i. e. could you make a complete unit that would stand alone and fit it over the shower tray? Good luck. Peter :(

Why would you not buy a non standard no shower van?

meaty, my initial thought was why not make a fixed larder type unit to go into the shower cubicle then not knowing the layout wondered it may have a " beem me up scottie" type round cubicle . one thing to remember that even done expertly it will surely devalue your van! jim

Many of us use the showers and can't understand why anyone would want a van without one.

Its as simple as that.

We bought our van because of the bathroom and shower. . Would use it over some of the grubby site showers at some sites! Using CL's also means we rely on our bathroom more so a shower is essential. Having a shower in the van always gives us the option to use it. This subject was spoken about a lot when we bought our first van. Now it seems the manufacturers are making bathrooms more of a feature, ther is a reason for this I would think. ..

But it is yours and if you wanted to remove it that is your choice obviously. . As you say it will be old when you get rid of it. ... Just remember that many here do still use vans of that age and some will buy them as a first van too. .. So it will limit the sale of the van in future as many who buy cheap vans will be on a budget and use CL's to save money too. ... If there is no shower on site and no shower in the van. .... Well you can work that one out. .. lol. ..

If you do the conversion just do not expect to sell the van on for more than a token amount if at all. If you do get a reasonable price think of it as a bonus.