5-Berth Alternatives

landman

We've been looking at for a 5-berth caravan that is different to the "normal" layout where the rear dinette converts to a double with a bunk over. Our kids are 16,13 & 10, which means that the elder 2 value their independence and don't wish to share a double bed.

At the weekend we saw a Bailey Orion 450-5 that had a triple bunk at the rear. Really like that idea as it provides flexibility in the future, plus all 3 bunks had their own window for ventilation. However the £14k price tag is probably too high for us, we'd really not want to spend any more than half of that sum.

So we're after some suggestions & ideas of other 5-berth caravans that might fit the bill please?

Car has a limit of 1,700 kg, so I guess that limits us to an MTPLM of around 1,450 kg.

Did see a Lunar Quasar 615 with a double side bunk plus a single over the rear seating area, and then a Bailey Pageant Provence [though that may have the "normal" layout & a l-shaped seating area that SWMBO likes]

I'm sure I need to add more detail, but can't bring it to mind right now. ..

Thanks,

Landman

Swift and Sterling caravans used to have this configuration. I had a 2001 Sterling Europa 500 with this layout. There were two five berth models: one had an L shaped rear lounge with a bunk over, the other had parallel seating with a bunk over. Both made up into a double bed with a bunk above.

I'm not sure when they stopped making this layout but I'd guess about 2007.

My sister has a Quaser 525, what they have done when they have extra people staying is they sleep in the rear area made up as a double. The front lounge they have used as singles.

I suppose you could use the van the same way, your two older kids at the front, you & the wife use the rear double bed with your youngest in the bunk above.

How do your kids feel about camping? Although we are comparatively new to caravanning we had many holidays when the kids were younger where we stayed in a mobile home and the kids far preferred to sleep outside in "pup" tents. When the kids had long gone we turned to caravanning and the awning which came with the caravan came with a zip on extension bedroom. Our son, now grown up, said that would have suited him down to the ground. Its worth having that conversation, and if they fancy it then the awning and a camp bed/blow up mattress could be a lighter proposition and give you more choice. (and more privacy!)

We've just brought a Lunar Ultima 615 (same as Quasar) for that reason, it also has tele points at both ends if needed. only 1450 kg MTPLM and 7. 46 metres long, we were looking for ages and this seemed the best for the price range we could afford.

How do your kids feel about camping? Although we are comparatively new to caravanning we had many holidays when the kids were younger where we stayed in a mobile home and the kids far preferred to sleep outside in "pup" tents. When the kids had long gone we turned to caravanning and the awning which came with the caravan came with a zip on extension bedroom. Our son, now grown up, said that would have suited him down to the ground. Its worth having that conversation, and if they fancy it then the awning and a camp bed/blow up mattress could be a lighter proposition and give you more choice. (and more privacy!)

Thanks for the reply.

We've been camping in a tent for the last few years and I think that we've all had enough of sleeping 'under canvas', so I suspect that the idea of one, or more, of the kids sleeping in the awning will be a no go. That's not to say that they won't come around to the idea if we're in France, or wherever, and it's lovely hot weather.

The other reason for buying a 'van is that we want to be able to extend our season out from Easter to October half term and to see a bit more of the UK. Again I can't see anyone volunteering to sleep in the awning when we're at the inlaws during Easter and it's peeing it down as it always seems to do when we go to Cornwall!

However, I'm open to the idea of the awning bedroom arrangement, especially if the kids want to drag friends along.

Landman

Have a look at a Lunar Quasar 546. Triple bunks plus an extra bed at the rear. Bottom bunk converts into a large locker if you don't need the bunk.

Will do, thanks!

We've just brought a Lunar Ultima 615 (same as Quasar) for that reason, it also has tele points at both ends if needed. only 1450 kg MTPLM and 7. 46 metres long, we were looking for ages and this seemed the best for the price range we could afford.

That sounds spot on in terms of weight, caravan websites here I come.

landman search for a elddis avante 565 single axle 6 berth, twin rear wall bunks twin side bunks ( the top one folds away) and parallel front, very spacious layout on a single axle and not too heavy for your car, a friend has one a 2006 model and likes it , two teenage daughters and a twelve year old son, jim

when my friend decided to become a tin tenter her kids were 8,10 and 16 the bought a 4 berth van and the large awning had one of those sleeping extensions that the 16 year old used as his own piece of space,which did fine as now he is 20 and doesn't go with them anymore .

Archived