Shower Tray Not Draing Away

jeana

We have a problem, the water does not drain away from the shower properly. It takes longer to swill out than it does to shower.

My husband is very diligent regarding using a level . The level reads spot on inside the living area.

He is wondering whether the shower was installed incorrectlyor even if the chassis is twisted. The caravan was purchased new in 2010. Any ideas out there ?

Thanks

Maybe the caravan is level, but take a look at the pipe work under the caravan. Quite often it doesn't have a fall towards the waste container.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

We have a problem, the water does not drain away from the shower properly. It takes longer to swill out than it does to shower.

My husband is very diligent regarding using a level . The level reads spot on inside the living area.

He is wondering whether the shower was installed incorrectlyor even if the chassis is twisted. The caravan was purchased new in 2010. Any ideas out there ?

Thanks

Have you checked the pipe runs?

Check out under the van where the shower drain pipe comes out - make sure that it is retained properly to the underside floor.

If it hangs down anywhere it is effectively causing a "U" bend where the soap deposits & hair will get trapped.

Unfortunately the shower drain is particularly prone to flow problems due to the lack of drop to your waste canister.

Put a spirit level in the shower floor after the caravan is levelled this should show a fall to the drain hole . If it not correctly installed I would then get in touch with the dealer .

Dave

I have had similar issues, I cannot understand why tray makers cannot slope the floor slightly towards the plug hole. In the past I have written to them but they don't seem to care. Another thing that bugs me is sink waste. plug holes that project above the bottom level of the sink instead of having a recess so it can be lower. I have also written about this but guess what? no-one replied. It is the little things that make all the difference. Who knows, one day they might actually listen. Regards to you all Peter :unsure:

Maybe the caravan is level, but take a look at the pipe work under the caravan. Quite often it doesn't have a fall towards the waste container.

Thanks everyone for your input we will check these out - my husband has introduced a fall because he said the U bend wont help matter

Will get him to look through your suggestions tonight

Once again thank you all

Jean and Peter

We block the drain and put soda crystals in the plughole then top up with hot water.

After a period of time we unblock and see what comes out. :huh:

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I can only speak from experience. Shower trays have no strength in themselves and are supported by the floor. So if the floor is level so is the shower tray. There is no fall to the plug hole. It's the way they are made. One way around it is to have the van slightly out of level so the the plug hole is the lowest point. Another is to use a squeegee of some sort. We get around it by using the site showers.

poolebob

I can only speak from experience. Shower trays have no strength in themselves and are supported by the floor. So if the floor is level so is the shower tray. There is no fall to the plug hole. It's the way they are made. One way around it is to have the van slightly out of level so the the plug hole is the lowest point. Another is to use a squeegee of some sort. We get around it by using the site showers.

poolebob

Agree.

I always have the caravan slightly nose down, as the shower drain is to wards the front.

Also it helps if the pipe isn't pushed down into the waste carrier, and that its not full.

Never use a level as years of contracting taught me how to level by eye.

Thanks everyonefor your suggestions and comments,we will take on board and try to resolve the problem

Jean and Peter

What do you use to collect the waste water in? Its here, assuming the level is correct, that the problem is likely to be. If you use a Wastemaster the problem could be that you are using a pipe that is too long from the caravan into the Wastemaster. As the Wastemaster fills up it prevents the water running away quickly enough by backing up the water in the external waste pipe which results in water appearing to be left in the shower tray. If you are using a dedicated waste point its likely that the water has not got a clear downward run to the drain. Just a couple of alternative ideas from past experience.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Our van was the same,when you had a shower you had to be careful it did'nt spill over the edge as it was so slow to drain,when i got underneath and looked at the pipe work there were 3 x 90 deg bends in the pipework run to the back of the van,obviously each bend will create resistance for the flow of water. I replaced all the rigid grey pipe and bends with the grey "ribbed" type waste pipe that you use for draining into the wastemaster,i made sure all the bends were "sweeping" bends and reclipped to the bottom of the van,it has a slightly larger internal bore than the rigid pipe and will with a bit of persuation fit onto the existing shower fitting and outlet fitting. I can now run the shower flat out at the shower drain hole and it drains so well i can't get the water to pool in the tray. :)