Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 138 Bhp Face Lift 54 Reg

marco f1

hi all

new to this forum so here we go, can any body give me some advice on the towing limits on my C5 hdi 138 bhp face lift model 54 reg, i have heard it can tow up to 1700 kg is this right or is this the max at 100%.

and also what are thay like to tow with, as i am now looking for a out of season bargain, on y had the car for 3 weeks and it pulls like a train better than my 04 mondeo. been caravaning & camping for a number of years now so any info would be great

regards

marco f1

The 1700kg (1. 7tons) figure is the cars maximum towing weight but to match a caravan to your car you need to find the vehicles kerbweight and then find a caravan the when fully loaded is 85% of this figure ( i. e if a car weighs 1600kg a suitable caravan loaded would weigh 1360kg )

Under no circumstances consider towing a caravan which is above your cars kerbweight as you risk the outfit becoming unstable

Edited by neil and lena

I've towed with hydropnuematic Citroens for more than twenty years and with my C5 for six years. As you say, it's a great tow car and very reliable. Forget about that 1700Kgs towing figure. Kerb weight of the estate version is 1532Kgs and the hatchback is 1498Kgs. So the ideal towed weight is around 1300Kgs although with care, a higher figure can be used, but certainly no more than the kerb weight. I currently tow 1200Kgs and a lot of my mileage can be done in 6th gear and at an average of 60mph, gives me approx 32mpg.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

thanks for all the info i will have to get my book out and find the kerbweight of my C5 i know its a lot bigger and longer than the old shape and more powerfull but the rule of 85% is there for a reason many thanks

regards

marco f1

thanks for all the info i will have to get my book out and find the kerbweight of my C5 i know its a lot bigger and longer than the old shape and more powerfull but the rule of 85% is there for a reason many thanks

regards

marco f1

Hi marco

It is not a rule. ..................It is guidance but sensible guidance at that.

Regards.

Col

I am towing My Ace Supreme Twinstar with a 59 Plate C5 Tourer Exclusive. It has a maximum towing weight of 1900 KG, but is unusual to have such a high maximum towing weight. If you read the forums here you will see that most do not approve. However I do have a C+ E license and I tow cautiously. Yes it not for novice towers but it is possible. The brakes are superb and the very advanced suspension does help.

I would say it feels heavy, but with a great torque figure and 173BHP it feels very smooth. I am experimenting with the comfort and sport suspension settings though. So far i am keeping the car in Comfort mode. The other half is very comfortable which helps!

I am towing My Ace Supreme Twinstar with a 59 Plate C5 Tourer Exclusive. It has a maximum towing weight of 1900 KG, but is unusual to have such a high maximum towing weight. If you read the forums here you will see that most do not approve. However I do have a C+ E license and I tow cautiously. Yes it not for novice towers but it is possible. The brakes are superb and the very advanced suspension does help.

I would say it feels heavy, but with a great torque figure and 173BHP it feels very smooth. I am experimenting with the comfort and sport suspension settings though. So far i am keeping the car in Comfort mode. The other half is very comfortable which helps!

I assume that's the 2. 2 engine? I have a 59 plate saloon, Exclusive 2. 2 and it's the best towcar I've ever had. I looked to get a Tourer but there wasn't one around at the right price when I wanted it so went with the saloon but it is just great, with a surprisingly spacious boot.

t.

Yes it us the 2. 2L. Towing up to the lakes this afternoon, so let's see how it copes in the wind!

I came back from Whitby to Nottingham on the Monday that the remains of hurricane Katya (?sp?) hit the UK. It was fine; I kept my speed to just over 40mph, 'cos any more than that I felt was unwise (although it would have taken a higher speed quite happily, I'm sure).

t.

Well the tow up to the lakes last Friday was a real test. Not worried about the wind, that was fine, the rain was the problem. Probably the heaviest rain your going to get in this country. Plus the first few days in the lakes were a real test for our stamina. We spent a lot of time indoors reading. Least we know how to live in our caravan now.

Must say though I was astonished in how gracefully the C5 towed Our Twinstar. By the time I hit the A road heading towards Windemere, I had to keep reminding myself I had the caravan on the back. It was great.

Anyway we stopped of at Silverdale near Morcambe for an extra couple of nights and we've had a lovely couple of days cooking on the Cadac and having a few glasses of wine. Perfect.

Pulling back home to Manchester tommorow and then to the NEC on Saturday. Think we've reallly got the caravan bug!

By the way, the computer is telling me I am getting 25-26MPG while pulling the caravan. i am very happy with this since I normally get between 35-38 driving solo (very mixed use and measured over many long period due to the car having two sets of trip computer).

Big smiles all round. Some of the guys around here really had me worried. I thought I would have to go out and buy a Chelsea Tractor just to pull my caravan a few times a year. Not the case!

• 2 weeks later...

thank you all for the info i think i have a good tow car in my citroen c5 will keep you all posted

regards

marco f1