Cheap Tyre Monitor

BFM

Carefully draw a straight line across your rear car window over a low element of the embedded heater. When you look at the front windows of your van in your mirror the bottom of the frame will be parallel to your line. Should a tyre deflate one side of the van will drop slightly and the two will no longer be parallel.

Carefully draw a straight line across your rear car window over a low element of the embedded heater. When you look at the front windows of your van in your mirror the bottom of the frame will be parallel to your line. Should a tyre deflate one side of the van will drop slightly and the two will no longer be parallel.

Yeah!

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

Now, that has saved me £80 odd for a tyre monitor system. Thanks BFM. Good tip.

Bo

Unless your tow vehicle is the same wheel track as the caravan it will alter its angle due to different cambers in the road .

Dave

Unless your tow vehicle is the same wheel track as the caravan it will alter its angle due to different cambers in the road .

Dave

Yes but the angle will not alter back to level again if there is a deflated tyre, it will still be down on one side.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Already do this but haven't had to draw a line as the top edge of the rear window of the car virtually coincides with the top of the front van window. The self levelling suspension on the disco helps as it is always pretty level (WRT the road surface anyway).

I wonder if artic lorry drivers have a warning device for blow outs?

Anyone know out of curiosity?

Bo

Bo

Not that I'm aware of. The amount of times I've dealt with a lorry driver at work and they've had to be flashed over by other drivers or they see smoke starting to come from the rear of the lorry and they've been completely unaware they've had a blowout.

Bo

A very loud bang?

And a lot of smoke signals. :wacko:

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I've had a slow puncture on a caravan, the first thing you notice is instability, which makes you slow down, but the caravan still handles all wrong.

This a passing people making gestures to wards your caravan, ensure you get the message, you have a problem.

Thats the time to pull over.

Sorry don't see how a line will help, when instability sets in you don't have time to be looking through mirrors?

Lots of people don't notice instability and it won't be a feature at slow speeds. It was just a quick and dirty little tip which has at least saved B Oak a few bob.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SimplySimon

As a lorry driver, I have not come across anything as sophisticated as a low pressure/blow out warning system, but if asked by my emloyers I would suggest a nifty gadget I bought at this years NEC exhibition which is the tyrePal, a must for caravanners and drivers alike.