External Aerial

I am looking to get an external TV Aerial with Mast and either an A Frame Clamp or a Jockey Wheel Clamp.

I have seen this:

http://www. aerialsha. ..mast-p-463. html

rxcarakit12.jpg

for £29. 99

Extension mast constructed from 3 interlocking sections with a jockey wheel mount for caravan use. We fit a 5 metre length of coax cable terminated in a standard male coax plug.

But I was wondering if anyone had a better suggestions. I have similar seen things on fleabay but I am open to suggestions.

Regards,

Stephen

Edited by SteveMilner

Just as an addition to this. ..

My jockey wheel is one that mounts inside the A Frame, not to the side of it, and looking at the picture I suspect the clamp isn't large enough to allow the mast to be supported both on the floor and by the clamp.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by SteveMilner

I am getting more confused by this, the more I research.

If anyone uses either jockey wheel clamps or A-Frame clamps to hold an aerial pole can you tell me how it works please.

I can't see how the jockey wheel clamps can work unless you have a side mounted jockey wheel, and since I have a centre mounted one I don't think the clamps will stand the mast off far enough to get to the ground to provide the stability needed.

If you use an A Frame clamp, similar to this one:

caravan-a-frame-type-bracket.jpg

Can you tell me how does it fix and how does it clear the plastic casing that covers the A-Frame.

Regards,

Stephen

Hi Steve.

I use the same type of external ariel set up and also have the centre mounted jockey wheel.

I just push the first steel pole into the ground(if its grass of course) and then secure the top by tying a couple of cable ties around the jockey wheel.

It hasnt moved at all yet. ....(touch wood)

I am getting more confused by this, the more I research.

If anyone uses either jockey wheel clamps or A-Frame clamps to hold an aerial pole can you tell me how it works please.

I can't see how the jockey wheel clamps can work unless you have a side mounted jockey wheel, and since I have a centre mounted one I don't think the clamps will stand the mast off far enough to get to the ground to provide the stability needed.

If you use an A Frame clamp, similar to this one:

caravan-a-frame-type-bracket.jpg

Can you tell me how does it fix and how does it clear the plastic casing that covers the A-Frame.

Regards,

Stephen

Your photo shows it upside down. It hooks under the frame and the bolts tighten inside the A frame bottom flange upper surface.

I use one and it comes flush with the top cover. I take the wing nuts and clamp off and keep them safe until needed.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Noticed a few of these, why are they needed, do they pick up a better signal than the van ariel?

I normally get a good picture but last weekend in Hawick a channel scan couldn't pick up the first 10 channels, picture and sound was first class on the others though.

Noticed a few of these, why are they needed, do they pick up a better signal than the van aerial?

The aerials work better mounted on a pole rather than on the 'van roof. A pal of mine was a Merchant Navy radio officer and he explained why. Something to do with the radio waves bouncing off the 'van roof!

John.

The aerials work better mounted on a pole rather than on the 'van roof. A pal of mine was a Merchant Navy radio officer and he explained why. Something to do with the radio waves bouncing off the 'van roof!

John.

ok, thanks.

Actually, I just got a rubbish flying saucer unidirectional aerial on the van.

And to quote a tv engineer I know, a coat hanger would be better than that one.

So I need another solution.

I like the cable tie idea!

Steve

Actually, I just got a rubbish flying saucer unidirectional aerial on the van.

And to quote a tv engineer I know, a coat hanger would be better than that one.

So I need another solution.

I like the cable tie idea!

Steve

I used the same 'flying saucer' type on top of a pole fixed to the jockey wheel and its performance was much improved. When I changed my 'van for one with a directional aerial on the roof I gave my pole - mounted 'saucer' to my radio officer pal and he's still using it with good results on top of his narrowboat.

John.