Had a little trouble with my car to caravan electrics over the weekend. I inserted the adaptor into the cars 13 pin socket at 9o/c and twisted it to the 12o/c position as you are suposed to and found that the indicators and mostly all the rest didnt work. If I just twisted it a bit then the indicators would work but the lights wouldnt. I settled for that and drove home. Now do these adaptors often have faults as I doubt whether the socket is to blame. I had the whole thing fitted proffesionally and the car part was garanteed for life. As this was only in March this year then the adaptor must be garranteed for the year, but as I bought the adaptor from the guy that fitted the towbar (and on that day) is it there problem to replace this item themselves.

I use a Contact Cleaner now and then.

http://www. halfords. com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_195717_langId_-1_categoryId_255223

The Halfords Electrical Contact Cleaner is ideal for cleaning ignition components and other precision parts. It removes tarnish, dirt, grease, dust, oil and other deposits, preventing arcing between dry contacts.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Yes I do have a product similar to that but as these items are only a few months old and made of stainless steel I feel that they should not have degraded that much. They seem very shiney still.

It sounds like you should check inside for loose connections.

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Yes a good idea but it seems to be where you twist the plug in to the car. It makes a temporary connection when you half turn it.

Hi Chris,

As the car electrical installation to the 13-pin socket is "guaranteed for life", I would take the car back to the installer, tell them your problem and ask them to check it out. Take the 13-pin to 7-pin adaptor with you, Get them to plug their 7-pin test box into your adaptor so that you can demonstrate the fault to them.

Regards,

David

The twisting action should only turn the outer shell of the plug to lock it into place and pull the plug up tightly into the socket. The 13 pins are already located in the cars 13-pin socket and cannot/should not be able to turn at all - they just get pulled straight in tightly by the locking shell.

So, my best guess is that something has come loose inside the 13-plug of the adaptor cable and slight movement of the locking shell causes something to make and/or break.

Why not re-wire the caravan cables into a new 13-pin plug and dispense with the adaptor anyway?

I think that that is what I'm going to do Dorchester, thanks.

Keith. I'm thinking of the rewire actually, do have a guess at what that may cost me as I do not have a clue. Doesn't matter I'll just ask the electrician.

Thanks everyone!

A re-wire using 13 core cable and a 13-pin plug is, as you suggest, the best solution to the problem. Not only would it get rid of the inferior 12N and 12S plugs and sockets, If you do decide to get the job done, get the existing 7-core cables replaced with a new length of 13-core cable that complies fully to ISO11446, which has five 2. 5mm2 conductors. See here for details. Further, the 13-core cable is easier to manage than two 7-core cables, which when taped or tie-wrapped together become rather inflexible.

Hope that this helps.

Regards,

David

Many thanks David.

Just an additional question. How far into the caravan do the leads go. i. e. do they go into the caravan near the consumer unit and connect into a block or do they each go to the point of use meaning a cable from the front of the van going all the way to the stop lights or part way into a connector block and then on to the stop light. I do hope that I have explained that well enough.

Edited by cockneychris

With my last caravan i put the two original cables into a 13 pin plug, total cost around £9.

You have to modify the cable entry to take both cables, and seal the end, i used silicon.

Yes the cables together are unwieldy, but so is the 13 core, but less so.

Anyway i towed for a year with this arrangement, with out one single problem.

While on my last tour i returned home to find the 13 core cable had pulled out slightly at the 13 pin plug, not enough spare cable pulled through,

problem is too much and it abrades on the road.

The cables to the caravan usually run to the consumer unit area, and come up through the floor, if you run a 13 core i suggest you cut the original cables off leaving some of the original cable, this will give you the color code for connecting the new cable.

Edited by xtrailman

Hi Chris,

As stated by 'xtrailman' above, check under the front bunk where the consumer unit is located, and you should find the two 7-core cables coming up through the floor of the caravan. Cut these INSIDE the caravan, and using a connector block (make sure that it will accept a 2. 5mm2 flexible cable), join the two 7-core cables to the 13-core cable.

One further tip: fit the plug to the 13-core cable first, but before you do this, take the plug apart to expose the terminals, and also strip a couple of inches of the outer sheath off the new cable. Then, using the chart that I attached to post #9, check that the cores of the cable follow the same rotary pattern to align with the terminals in the plug. If they do, then fine, but if they do not, then use the other end of the 13-core cable, as this will make connecting the plug much easier, as you will then not have to cross over the cable cores within the plug to get them to connect to the correct terminals. Finally, always leave a little bit of spare 13-core cable inside the caravan, as it is then easy to pull a small amount through to the 'plug' end if required.

Good luck!

Regards,

David

As an update to this problem of mine I can tell you that I have checked all conections for power ie indicators/lights and found it ok at the plug but absolutely nothing past the adaptor. So I took the adaptor back to where it was bought and after a short test (no pun intended) I was given a new replacement that works a treat.

Thanks to everyone that have participated and now I can go away with confidence that all will be well.

Glad its fixed because from 1st Jan MOT's will include Caravan Electric's check at the tow ball sockets. 13 way full test but 12n visual only.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/55394-car-towing-electrics-part-of-mot-test/page__fromsearch__1

Edited by Lefthand Down

Its HIM!

Yes it is Captain Chaos from Cannonball run. Part was played by Dom Delouise (sp) Him was his alter ego in the film. Reminds me of myself.