Battery Power Down

Nidge4

Phantom up to now have reported 4 power downs one of which was my fault, left the power switch on, the others l couldn't work out why after 6 weeks l got a power down causing Phantom to inform me, very good of them but one was at 3am in the morning. l double checked everything was isolated, too no avail had another one Saturday night. Sunday morning went to hook up the van has the place l keep it has hook up facility, found the connection broken so had to take the battery home to charge it up. On refitting the battery l found the live terminal loose ie cable pulled out of the terminal connector, negatove also not properley tightened. This l think could be my problem loose connections, we had no trouble on site with the 12v system but l have heard that one of the major problems with batteries that can cause discharge is loose connections, only time will tell if this is the cause of the power down, has any one else had this problem and have you found the cause.

NigelH

I would think it is the Alarm that drains the battery not a loose connection.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Surely the alarm should not drain the Battery within 6 to 8 weeks, l would have thought it would be good for 3 to 4 months, its 110amp battery admittedly its 3 years old.

NigelH

There has been much discussion about this and many have added small top up solar panels.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

A loose connection will not cause a battery to actually discharge any faster. It can have two other effects which may be relavent however. A loose connection will frequently have a slightly higher resistance which get worse with higher currents so can reduce the charge current going into the battery so make it take much longer to charge up. The greater concern with this is that the connection will also get warm, it is almost always this effect that causes fires with domestic installations.

It can also drop the output voltage when providing current from the battery which would show up as battery low when is actually OK. This would not however normally be evident with the extremely low draw current that the Phantom would make in normal use.

I see far too many examples of poor quality crimped installations because of not using the right tools or the correct cable for the size of crimp, not a "I never do it wrong" claim I admit as I have had some come off but they should always be checked carefully.

It is possible that the battery installed with your alarm as a back up in the event of the leisure battery being diconnected, is faulty. Had one recently where the backup battery had a faulty cell reducing its voltage. The leisure battery was continually trying to charge it at around 125mA which flattened the leisure battery in around 4-5 weeks.

Thanks Paul upto now its behaving but not got to the 4 to 5 weeks yet and probably won't has we are due to pickup or Madrid in 3 weeks time, it will then be the dealers problem, its still under warranty so the new owners should have no problems finding the fault.

Archived