Exterior Door Lock Sticky

Our outer door lock and handle are both somewhat stiff to operate. I have tried lubricating with silicon oil spray, but this made little difference, possibly slightly worse. Any ideas?

It is a simple matter to take the whole lock apart. The screws can be hidden behind plastic bungs and nameplates but with care can be found and removed.

Don't try on a field without a sheet on the floor. Take a photo as you go so you can re-assemble it. B)

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I was d told dont use ordinary grease use a graphite grease . The spindle sometimes just sanding down a bit. its acommon fault.

Coachman Pastiche tugged by Mazda CX-7, Wine supplied by Sainsburys & sunday Times wine Club.

Is it the Hartel type with a red and a green bung? if so, that's when you need the big ground sheet!

It's dead simple to take the lock off and dismantle it but you will need some circlip pliers. When you get it apart you'll find that there's a plastic barrel which rotates (or doesn't, in your case) inside a plastic hole. You need to whittle away a bit of the barrel or enlarge the hole a little so that the assembly rotates more freely. Don't use any grease on the assembly.

As others have posted, never use grease, you can get graphite dust in a puffer pack. :)

The van is a 2008, but what sort of lock I will have to have a look next time I go to its barn storage. I'm faily mechanically minded and do have circlip plyers, but I do dread the thought of it all springing out when I release the screws.

It was faily stiff when new, but at the first service I mentioned this and they freed it off considerably. Two years down the line it is somewhat stiff again.

I will have a look, thanks. ( I was hopeing someone might suggest some magic spray to fix it. I was aware that WD40 is not good for this sort of thing.)

but I do dread the thought of it all springing out when I release the screws.

Which is why you need a sheet on the floor. :) There are no springs to pop out but it may have come adrift inside. The hardest job was finding access to the screws and getting the plugs out that covers them.

I drilled a tiny hole in my green and red ones (inside the door) and used a small screwdriver the lever them out. Two more were under the nameplate!

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

hi chrisuk

if you look back to the 24 april 2008 tradetech put the details you require

bill