Spitting Taps

slimseydy

Having a lot of trouble with water at the moment. in my previous van the water just ran through van no problems. this Bailey spends a lot of time spitting out in fits and starts. this is causing havoc with shower and swmbo is getting well frustrated . even the kitchen and bathroom has the same problem. any one had trouble like this with a full aqua roll and if so what was the solution. don't know if the pump is doing the job or I have an airlock somewhere. Any advice most

grateful as always. thanks.

Hi Slimseydy

I have experienced this, but overcame by running all taps (both hot and cold) in the system incl shower & Bathroom

this in my experience will cure the problem if there is air trapped in a pipe or the water heater, it may take quite some time so make sure that aquaroll is full.

IMO cant see it being any thing other than air in the system.

Hi to slimseydy & richjan100. I have had a similar problem albeit not with a Bailey product. Our 2001 Elddis Crusada SuperSirocco has developed a spitting tap/taps condition and it persisted even after several 40litre barrels were drawn through.

It would appear to be caused by an intermittent leak from the Whale Water Pump housing on the side of the van. I believe that the 'O' ring has deformed due to age and softening of the rubber and is therefore not creating a positive seal,this is in turn is allowing the ingress of air. If the offending taps are run they will clear until the next time that water is drawn,I believe that the small amount of movement when the pump takes up the 'pull to draw' is causing the bad contact at the 'O' ring.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

We had the same in our Charisma. Cured by replacing the O-rings as, suggested above, in the connection to the side of the van. If you think about it, everytime you connect the water to the van the O-rings get forced into the connection or the same on disconnecting and this is what caused the problem of spitting taps. Couple of new O-rings and job should be a good one

Cheers

Seesaw

Ours spits, usually as I wash my hands after spending a penny - why does it always happen wearing light chinos!

I think this is down to me forgetting to switch off the pump when I fill the aquaroll.

Mine are spitting at the moment, but I know I have a hairline crack in the filter housing which I'm going to have to replace. This is allowing a leak when water is drawn, so it is presumably drawing in air at the same time. As others have said, it may be as simple as the O ring but if this doesn't cure it, you could have an issue similar to mine.

On ours I noticed the jubilee type clip needed nipping up on pipe to the aquaroll

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Ours spits, usually as I wash my hands after spending a penny - why does it always happen wearing light chinos!

I think this is down to me forgetting to switch off the pump when I fill the aquaroll.

Hi NH Ken. Your pump should not be drawing water unless it is activated by a tap. If it is running(a faint sound coming from the barrel) it is a pressure issue. The pressure switch on the older vans was controlled by a wheel about the size of a 2p piece usually in the bed box close to the water heater. I don't know what the situation is with the Unicorn. I would guess that technology has created self regulating systems by now.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Hi all,

Had a problem with my Hymer on first outing, down at " BigJimmy's ", after pulling water through the system on all taps, ( we have an inboard tank ) when left a while then taps turned on again the pipes had emptied causing spitting. A couple of pic's and my thoughts were passed back to my dealer and it was put down to a pump problem, this was replaced by a new higher rated pump and everything is fine, we've got a power shower now instead of a trickle. Catch ya later,indoors.

Hi NH Ken. Your pump should not be drawing water unless it is activated by a tap. If it is running(a faint sound coming from the barrel) it is a pressure issue. The pressure switch on the older vans was controlled by a wheel about the size of a 2p piece usually in the bed box close to the water heater. I don't know what the situation is with the Unicorn. I would guess that technology has created self regulating systems by now.

I think its probably happens when the aquaroll is empty drawing air then I fill and, hey presto, looks like I've wet myself!

Hi to slimseydy & richjan100. I have had a similar problem albeit not with a Bailey product. Our 2001 Elddis Crusada SuperSirocco has developed a spitting tap/taps condition and it persisted even after several 40litre barrels were drawn through.

It would appear to be caused by an intermittent leak from the Whale Water Pump housing on the side of the van. I believe that the 'O' ring has deformed due to age and softening of the rubber and is therefore not creating a positive seal,this is in turn is allowing the ingress of air. If the offending taps are run they will clear until the next time that water is drawn,I believe that the small amount of movement when the pump takes up the 'pull to draw' is causing the bad contact at the 'O' ring.

I am back in van again tonight, cant stay away from lady heyes lately :) & so far seems ok,but I do agree with the whale pump housing unit, although this unit is only 12 months old with the van I find the pump realy flimsly & no were near the secure fix I had with my lunar whale pump that had 2 copper pins on top of the feeder pipes. will have a look at it in the morning, can't remember seeing an oring on the housing so maybe that is route cause,tune in tommorow & I will feed back. :ph34r:

When we bought our new van a month ago, the taps were very spitty. A fellow caravanner advised me to open up the metal contacts a little on the pump so that it fits tighter into the van.

Now i don't know if it was coincidental, but we have no more spitty taps.

We vet spitty taps in our new van, in the old it was never a problem. But it only happens when the aqua roll runs out. Im guessing that the newer style inboard sureflow pump is a lot more powerful and so sucks in mkre air when the aquaroll is empty. Sometimes it can take a good minute of running the taps to stop it spitting, and i have to do it because the pump wont switch off until the air is gone. No wonder we get through more water in this van!

On Friday I opened up all taps & run the aqua roll for a while, I was fully serviced so in one end out the other, had no other problems all weekend so thanks for the tip, worked a treat

Archived