Used 4X4 Which One Best For Diesel Mpg

Uselesshippy

hi, i'm considering getting a used diesel 4x4 circa 2005 ish were looking at the Volvo xc90, nissan navara, isuzu rodeo, VW touareg, nissan X trail. But open to others.

But i'm curious to the real world mpg of these both solo and towing ( we;ve got a Avondale dart 556 at 1300kg loaded) does anyone have any details?

Just sold our Dart 556. Tow with a Citroën C Crosser (Mitsubishi Ourlander but a 2. 2ltr diesel). Dart is so narrow and light it was great to tow - and a pleasure with the Citroën. 43-45mpg solo and around 30 with the Dart in tow. Next caravan will be bigger & heavier so MPG won't be that good.

I have a 2004 land. Rover discovery 2 td5 and. Tow a twin wheel 6 birth caravan 1950kg and get 31mpg towing 36mpg solo

So far most people seem to be quoting relatively new models; not circa 2005 as OP requested!

Series1 Sorento 2004/5 has the advantage of self levelling suspension and returns in the region of 30-32mpg solo and 22-23mpg towing. I've had mine for 5 trouble free years and a colleague of mine has just bought a 54 plate one with 69K on the clock for £6750.

I have a series 1 Sorent on a 53 plate can do from Swaffham to just short of Tenby on a full tank and also trouble had mine 5 years now with 39. 000 when bourght and now just short of 100. 000

Edited by Blackvynil

I have a 59 plate XC90 D5 Auto, does 30mpg solo [ just ] and about 18mpg towing 1900kgs.

I have a 2005 VW Touareg 2. 5 TDI automatic, towing from South Wales to Southampton last weekend I got an average of 23mpg towing which seems to have been consistent all year.

On a run solo the average is early 30's with around town solo achieving between 26-30.

I compared many similar vehicles of this size and era and they all seem to achieve roughly the same consumption. It's a good idea to check road tax as I did look at an XC90 and the big decision factor was the high band tax which was around £500 compared to £256 for the Touareg (this is also more on the newer models).

Would not change to any other car. Have owned a couple of LR's and other makes and from Personal experience I find the VW to be the best I have owned. Cruise control set at 60 and along with the Auto means tha towing is a lot less stressful.

A few people have criticised that they aren't "real" 4x4's which I have to completely disagree with. It was exceptional in the icy conditions last Winter and is brilliant at towing out of a muddy field. IMO reliability and build doesn't need justifying.

Ian

We tow our 1330kg Bailey with a Nissan Terrano TDS 4x4 which returns 33mpg towing & 36-38mpg solo . ..

PAUL, 2005 Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior 2. 5TD, Towing A 2005 Bailey Pageant Provence .

You can get a good Seat Freetrack. .. Not bad for fuel. . good power and we get high 20's low 30's towing our Olympus 534 and low to mid 30's when we had our Abbey which was a simlar weight to yours. .... Great car when solo too. ... just tyres are not cheap. ... 17inch wheels with low profile tyres as standard but never had a problem with traction even in the bad snow we had earlier this year. .....

2006 TD4 Freelander towing a Sterling Celebration 550 (same as Sterling Europa 550).. MTPLM 1490Kg and getting 32 towing and 42 solo.

My 2005 LC3 Land Cruiser automatic, they are all 3. 0L, common rail.

Solo between 30 and 33, the LC empty weight is around 2300kg, loaded it weighs around 2500kg

Towing a twin axle, weighing 1800kg loaded, then can't get better than 23.

LC and TA together is a fair old weight to pull. so 23 mpg with a total weight of 4300kg is not unsurprising.

As for Darren's Disco (2185kg) mentioned earlier, well, on,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 31 towing????? are you sure? really ?

I don't try to boost my mpg. What I get, is what I get,

2185kg plus your 1950kg caravan, Darren is also up over 4000kg total, with a smaller engine, that needs to work harder/ just doesn't add up to the law of physics.

Sure I would like 31 mpg towing, but it's never going to happen with 4300kg

Graham

Edited by Champ

I have a 2004 land. Rover discovery 2 td5 and. Tow a twin wheel 6 birth caravan 1950kg and get 31mpg towing 36mpg solo

How do you manage that? I had a new Discovery TD5 from 2001 to 2005. Admittedly it was an auto but for the whole of it's 55k miles it averaged 28mpg solo - this was carefully measured for each tank of fuel.

I would point out that most of this was motorway driving at sensible legal speeds.

My 2005 LC3 Land Cruiser automatic, they are all 3. 0L, common rail.

Solo between 30 and 33, the LC empty weight is around 2300kg, loaded it weighs around 2500kg

Towing a twin axle, weighing 1800kg loaded, then can't get better than 23.

LC and TA together is a fair old weight to pull. so 23 mpg with a total weight of 4300kg is not unsurprising.

As for Darren's Disco (2185kg) mentioned earlier, well, on,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 31 towing????? are you sure? really ?

I don't try to boost my mpg. What I get, is what I get,

2185kg plus your 1950kg caravan, Darren is also up over 4000kg total, with a smaller engine, that needs to work harder/ just doesn't add up to the law of physics.

Sure I would like 31 mpg towing, but it's never going to happen with 4300kg

Graham

I would agree with the LC3 figures - after I got rid of the TD5 Discovery I had a Landcruiser LC3 auto for 3 years - again the average mpg was 29mpg solo for the time I owned ir covering 55k miles - I am asuming that yours is a manual hence the better mpg.

When I got rid of the Landcruiser I had a Freelander 2 2. 2 Auto for 2 years. Again solo figures for the 28k miles that I owned it was 34mpg. The computer readout was a little optimistic by 1 to 1. 5mpg.

The absolute max mpg I got out of it on one trip was 40mpg but this was driving feathering the throttle doing no more than 50mph and hardly using the brakes unless absolutely necessary.

My current Santa Fe with the same sized engine seems less economical but then again circumstances have changed so more of my mileage is local. Having said that, the best I've got out of it is 34mpg but the true average is around 29. 5mpg. Towing it gets around 21. 5mpg with a 1450kg Solaris on the back.

If I was to chose a favourite out of the:

TD5 Disco

Landcruiser LC3

Freelander 2

Santa Fe

It's a no contest, the Landcruiser LC3 wins hands down - fantastic motor, totally reliable, excellent build quality, it does everthing asked of it - based on that you have to accept the mpg :)

No disco is a auto but has been remaped and Egr valve taken out which made a massive difference (I get 2mpg more out of my td5 then my wife's disco 3 ) and dsco 2 is easier to maintain and much cheaper

We tow with 2 different 4x4s- a Nissan navara for long trips, can shovel all the gear in, drives superbly, tax is £110?a year and calculated towing mpg is around 24 and a bit, solo very low 30s.

The other a same age (both early 2006) disco 3. Solo mpg 30 on a long steady run 28 everywhere else and 22 towing.

Both are awesome towcars.

will ask people to read the original post ie real world mpg NOT beano and dandy figure,s :lol:, jim

Haha. ... was thinking the same. .. Ours has a claimed combined MPG of 41. 5mpg. .. OK round town and nipping to the shops will drop this but still we rarely see more than high 30's going on the 60 mile trip to see family or on a run and getting 40+ Mpg is rare. Getting high 20's towing I feel is good as an average and if we get low 30's that is a bonus or we are going somewhere flat for a change! My mate who has a Disco 2. 7 TDV6 claims 19 to 22 MPG towing. Not sure if this is because we live near or fo to the peak district a lot. .. But those figures do seem more realistic.

will ask people to read the original post ie real world mpg NOT beano and dandy figure,s :lol:, jim

Here ! here!

If they are 21mpg towing, then say so.

I blanked off the egr on my LC3,,,,,,,,,,,, didn't make a blind bit of difference.

God,, how I would love half way to Darrens towing figures.

Graham

Haha. ... was thinking the same. .. Ours has a claimed combined MPG of 41. 5mpg. .. OK round town and nipping to the shops will drop this but still we rarely see more than high 30's going on the 60 mile trip to see family or on a run and getting 40+ Mpg is rare. Getting high 20's towing I feel is good as an average and if we get low 30's that is a bonus or we are going somewhere flat for a change! My mate who has a Disco 2. 7 TDV6 claims 19 to 22 MPG towing. Not sure if this is because we live near or fo to the peak district a lot. .. But those figures do seem more realistic.

This is honest.

All the newer diesel engines are basically the same.

Put in a gallon of diesel into most big 4x4 and towing is going to be between 19 and 23 at best.

Graham

Here ! here!

If they are 21mpg towing, then say so.

I blanked off the egr on my LC3,,,,,,,,,,,, didn't make a blind bit of difference.

God,, how I would love half way to Darrens towing figures.

Graham

This is honest.

All the newer diesel engines are basically the same.

Put in a gallon of diesel into most big 4x4 and towing is going to be between 19 and 23 at best.

Graham

I have no reason to disbelieve my mate and he is not the fastest driver in the world. He got his disco to go to work and tow the van. They have a smaller car for local family trips and days out. . He said he would be lucky to see 30mpg solo and it is usually high 20's solo. I think this too is more like it. ... Our little 2 litre Seat is the highest power of the VW range of engines so we did expect some penalty in MPG. The 140bhp engine would be better for MPG but as we wanted a 4x4 then the 170BHP motor was out only option. Getting 40+ mpg on a regular basis is not going to happen. But low to mid 30's average for local and town use from cold is OK. Towing and seeing anything above 26mpg is OK and on the motorway up to about 32mpg is possible with the heavier Bailey. The Abbey was a fair bit lighter so it did make a difference and getting 3 or 4 MPG out of that was possible. But I dont understand how some of the MPG claims can be seen as even close to realistic. Manufactuers figures are way off usually too.

Definitely NOT a Pajero. Great towcar, but it does like fuel stations. (16/17 mpg towing, 25 solo.)

Regards, Mike

Owned a D3 and D4 both from new and recorded every gallon of fuel guzzled away relative to trip and aggregate distances.

Always been top up to top up, not off fuel computer.

Had a TD5 which I think was more economical but never kept the detailed records as with the Discoverys 3 & 4.

D3

29865 miles, 1323 gallons (£6,187) = 22. 6 av mpg, worst towing mpg = 16. 63, best towing mpg = 21. 6, best solo trying really hard on motorway = 31. 8 no faster than 55ish!

%age towing mileage of total = 9200 (31%)

Van MTPLM's 1800kg & 2000kg

D4

8926 miles, 406 gallons (£2,186) = 22. 0 av mpg, worst towing mpg 18. 6, best towing mpg = 21. 3, best solo 27. 5 circ's similar to the D3 - might get more now run in.

%age towing mileage of total = 2100 (24%)

Van MTPLM 2000kg.

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

No disco is a auto but has been remaped and Egr valve taken out which made a massive difference (I get 2mpg more out of my td5 then my wife's disco 3 ) and dsco 2 is easier to maintain and much cheaper

A Disco 3 probably averages around 28mpg if driven very carefully (if you're lucky) - at least that's what a friend of mine & most internet posts seem to indicate.

So if you are getting 2mpg more than your wifes car that means you are closer to 30mpg - seems a different figure to the 36mpg solo figure that you are quoting in your original post.

Our 2008 T31 Xtrail, 171bhp, does around 35 in town, 38 to 41 on a run, depending on right foot, and towing our 1370kg van between 23 and 28. This towing variable seems to depend on external affects like wind direction, and also of course right foot position. I tend to cruise on the motorway towing at around 56mph.

I quote my figures based on fill to fill spreadsheet logging and not the computerised readout which tends to be about 2mpg optimistic.

I have 2 Land Rover Discovery's TD5 Diesel and can confirm that pulling a trailer loaded with close on a ton, from Luton to Ireland with an avg speed of 56MPG on motorways gave me very close to 30mpg with my Auto and anything between 28 & 29. 5 MPG with my Manual.

My Auto has a V8 TC fitted that give me better TC lockup (about 2100rpm), both my Disco's have been De-EGR & remapped. I tend to drive the manual Disco a little harder as it is fitted with road tires where the Auto has A/T's fitted.

I have used several cars to pull trailers and by far, the Discovery is the very best, nothing comes close.