Power Washers

Advice is never use any power washer on a caravan, you will "blow" the sealant seal, either straight away or over a period of time, dependant on what pressure rating the washer is. The caravan should only be subjected to a low pressure hose, Brush and bucket, watering can, if you are in storage, brush and bucket with a watering can.

Or you could use a spray "Dry Wash" system where you use 2 cloths and a 500ml bottle of cleaning fluid, you should get about 2. 5 caravan washes from one 500ml bottle, or 7 car washes.

No info on such a thing but many will advise never to use a power washer on a caravan. :(

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I too, store my caravan in a storage area with only a cold tap situated 400 yds away. Like the others all the advice is not to use a power washer, but having to lug water in buckets and watering cans becomes quite arduous after a while. After a bit of searching I thought of buying a pressure spray to at least make life a bit easier (I'm sure the pressure generated will be nowhere near that of a power washer and therefore safe). I have just bought this http://www. amazon. co. ..duct/B005EXO0I6 on Amazon. Once it comes I'll give it a go a post a review.

post-46121-0-13722600-1318607478_thumb.jpeg

I use a 10 ltr spray bought from B & Q for spraying plants.

I fill it with water and Fenwicks Caravan Cleaner. A rub here and there with a sponge or long handled brush and thats it.

I have a smaller version (5ltr) filled with Fenwick Bobby Dazzler to rinse with.

Your link looks good and a sensible price as well.

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

I fill it with water and Fenwicks Caravan Cleaner. A rub here and there with a sponge or long handled brush and thats it.

I have a smaller version (5ltr) filled with Fenwick Bobby Dazzler to rinse with.

Your link looks good and a sensible price as well.

Likewise - My van is in storage, so cleaning is normally done whilst on site. I use a plastic bowl with car wash, and use clean water in the Garden spray for rinsing, it works rather well and no where near the pressure of a power washer

a cold tap situated 400 yds away. Like the others all the advice is not to use a power washer, but having to lug water in buckets and watering cans becomes quite arduous after a while

Why not use your aquaroll? My caravan is 3 miles from my tap if it needs a clean down while in storage, I just fill the aquaroll and have plenty water to wash and rinse the van with, you can even have hot water if you want (subject to gas use policy of your storage site).

I bought a cheap water pump for a caravan from fleabay about £8. 00 attatched a standard clean new hose pipe, attatched the cable to two clips and connect these to a 12 volt battery and at the other end of the hose pipe i can connect wash brushes etc as needed the beaty of this is that it drops into a standard aqua role.

To be honest though since discovering greased lightning this pump assembly has not left its storgae bag :)

My total water use for the whole van is only 15 liters . ......10 to wash and 5 to rinse.

Well I use my power washer but not on the harshest pencil jet for obvious reasons and do not use directly onto the sealant edges.

The best tool for the roof is the hover attachement.

If you go the the dealerships when they are washing their vans guess what the use - power washers!!!

Used properly they are fine.

Well I use my power washer but not on the harshest pencil jet for obvious reasons and do not use directly onto the sealant edges.

The best tool for the roof is the hover attachement.

If you go the the dealerships when they are washing their vans guess what the use - power washers!!!

Used properly they are fine.

and that applies to any tool . .... no problem using pressure washers- providing they are used with a little thought and respect.

Edited by digga

Why not use your aquaroll? My caravan is 3 miles from my tap if it needs a clean down while in storage, I just fill the aquaroll and have plenty water to wash and rinse the van with, you can even have hot water if you want (subject to gas use policy of your storage site).

You can have hot water whatever the sites gas policy is, just fill the aquaroll with hot water at home.

Does anyone know anything about battery power washers, for cleaning stored caravans with no cleaning facilities on storage sites.

friend of mine used a power wash on his van.

blasted through the sealant and the awning rail.

result soggy van.

never again, don't even use a brush, just sponge.

cheers rodders B)

cheers rodders

That's what I love about this site - you always pick up tips from other members I never once thought about using my aquaroll. Doh!

I also use a pressure washer with no problems. I only use the fan spray lance and never close to the surface, particularly around the windows. That in conjunction with the fact that being a cheepo budget machine which does not generate very high pressures in the 1st place means there is no risk of dislodging any sealant. Non setting mastic is much less likely to peel off anyway.

I soap the van down with a soft brush 1st and the spray over is then enough to rinse off any dirt. I think however that at 8 years old any factory "shine" is long gone, I suspect I would be as cautious as many others with a new van. Having had to wash down our helicopter every night after a days flying using the same technique for over 4 years I am quite happy for it on my van.

This is a interesting thread !

As part of my job I tow caravans around the country, and visit a lot of dealers, and I would say most have a pressure washer/steam cleaner, for doing the vans, so poss most caravans at some stage have possibly been cleaned in this way when prepared for sale or in for a service !

So I wonder if you have had damp in your caravan, was it caused by a dealer ?

Radiotwo

Do not ever tow your van in the rain as this has the same effect of some pressure washers. That is for those that say a pressure washer blows seals, no it does not it is the person using the machine without thinking that blows the seal.

Roddors68 your mate is a total muppet, he obviously should not be let lose with tools.

Back to OP. ..... Now if you think a battery powered pressure washer is going to do all the damage a 240v one will do. ... Forget it. ... 240v ones are 120 to about 160 Bar so work at about 2000 psi. A self contained battery powered one is about 6 to 7 bar or less than 100psi.

http://www. rutlandcycling. com/31307/Nomad-Cordless-18-volt-Pressure-Washer---Hot-Embers. html?referrer=froogle1%3futm_source%3dgoogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid31307

Looks like a nice little unit and to get water all over the van in the harder to reach areas and blast off mud or road dirt if used correctly would be no worse than a hose pipe. .... It carrys 3. 5 gallons of water in the unit and I guess you could add some cleaner into the water too. .

Do not ever tow your van in the rain as this has the same effect of some pressure washers. That is for those that say a pressure washer blows seals, no it does not it is the person using the machine without thinking that blows the seal.

Roddors68 your mate is a total muppet, he obviously should not be let lose with tools.

Very true. ... I would not put my hand just in front of a pressure washer lance. But I would have to problem doing the same 18 inches away from it. The pressure drops off quickly due to the fan shaped spray of the lance. Up close it would strip off sealant, sticker and in some cases paint! But at a short distance it is no were near as bad. I used pressure washers all the time on my Mountain bike and my Moto X bikes. I still use one on my car from time to time. I am just more aware of how to use it. . I dont blast everything at an inch or two from the lance.