Chemical For Toilet

Hi i've just been seaching for some bits and bobs we need before collecting the Caravan, and i'm amazed how many different types of chemicals available and a big difference in prices, I like to be enviromentally friendly when possible but wondered if they are as good as the old Aqua Kem, any thoughts on which is best and best place to buy (either internet or local to East Anglia, Norwich)

Thanks in advance

I've wondered the same, especially since every shop I go in seems to have their own branded bottles at a significantly lower price than the Thetford equivalent. Do you get what you pay for or is the generic equivalent just as good?

I've tried quite a few but prefer Elsen blue (we don't use the site loo)

Most caravan shops sell toilet fluid, when we holiday in Norfolk I usually buy a 2. 5lt concentrate from the hardware shop in Stalham

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I've used Elsan for years - you can get a double concentrated pack for about £15.

Just before the last holiday I decided to try One Chem. It's more concentrated and has a measuring bottle. I'll use up what I bought but then go back to the Elsan. There's been a lot said on the forum about the smell from One Chem but my problem is that I always seem to end up with blue hands.

The manufacturer's will not tell you what chemical is used. They "duck and dive" and mislead with their advertising. They will not confirm or deny that they are using Formaldehyde, which is Carcinagenic. You should be careful to avoid inhaling it or any skin contact.

I always ware gloves when handling the chemical toilet, I haven't see another person yet with gloves on, just hope they wash their hands after.

I don't want to store and handle gloves as every time you touch them you might as well be touching the toilet again. I just get the job done and wash my hands thouroughly with the antibacterial handwash we keep next to the bathroom sink.

Same here, I have used Elsan Blue for over 40 years, IMO the others are overpriced and have no extra benefits. I have never used a top tank additive either, the only time I tried it I got black bits floating around so flushed the whole lot out and started again with nobbut water.

Regards Peter.

Thanks for the replies people looks like elsan is the popular choice, as for the gloves thingy i buy a box of disposable gloves on ebay and bin them after one use, then wash with a good antibacteral wash (my immune system is weak so i have to be xtra careful, and get a bit paranoid about cleanliness).

right off to ebay to find some elsan

:D

With regards to the additives you use in your waste tanks it honestly does directly link with what kind of sites you are planning to visit.

If on the one hand you are planning to be using rural to very rural sites almost anywhere in Europe, those sites are very likely to only have a septic tank or similar system on which to rely on for their foul waste break-down and as such you MUST only use a formaldehyde free additive in your tanks.

However, if you are only going to be using large sites such as all the CC and C&CC sites etc. , then you are almost at will to use anything you want to use.

Oh so very sadly; it does never cease to amaze me how often people arrive here at LT each year and when asked, as they all are on arrival, as to what kind of additive they have and despite every single one of them having been sent information on the subject, how a limited few of these careless fools, idiots, buffoons didn't think our requests actually applied to them !!!!!!

With regards to the additives you use in your waste tanks it honestly does directly link with what kind of sites you are planning to visit.

If on the one hand you are planning to be using rural to very rural sites almost anywhere in Europe, those sites are very likely to only have a septic tank or similar system on which to rely on for their foul waste break-down and as such you MUST only use a formaldehyde free additive in your tanks.

However, if you are only going to be using large sites such as all the CC and C&CC sites etc. , then you are almost at will to use anything you want to use.

Oh so very sadly; it does never cease to amaze me how often people arrive here at LT each year and when asked, as they all are on arrival, as to what kind of additive they have and despite every single one of them having been sent information on the subject, how a limited few of these careless fools, idiots, buffoons didn't think our requests actually applied to them !!!!!!

no worries from me if we visit, i always read the small print and the large print (probably because i work in insurance and know how important it is to read what your sent) once we've mastered UK touring we might look further afield your site looks very inviting. .

Edited by Viscount Orange Biscuit