Rav4 Coolant Problems

Doosan

Hi all, just got back home from having 3 sunblest weeks at bigjimmys site in the Dordogne. My problem started on the way down to the Dordogne. I noticed that the coolant was being forced out of the coolant tank through the overflow pipe. By the time I got down to bigjimmys site I had filled it up several times. Now what I have noticed is it only happens when I am towing,doesn't do it when I'm solo. I have checked the oil and it doesn't look contaminated so just don't know what is going on. The car still drives fine. Will take it into Toyota tomorrow and see what they have to say about it.

Doosan

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

Sounds like thermostat could be sticking or water pump is not working correctly at full efficiency or something simple like the electric fan has a loose connection/fuse and not working .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Thanks for those answers. What I should say is the temperature gauge doesn't go up but stays the same.

Doosan

• 3 months later...

Hi there

Just noticed this topic but you might get some good advice on the Rav4 forums (http://www. toyotaownersclub. com/forums/index. php?showforum=79). Some very knowledgable chaps and chapesses on there.

Great towcar the Rav, which model do you have? Ours is the 2010 XTR 2. 2 D4D. Only pain is the rear door not being able to be opened when hitched up.

Thanks.

Peter

Thermostat or fan issues should show as a temp rise initially so I would be looking for something over pressurising the coolant system so unfortunately the head gasket would be a strong possibility. It may be only a slight leak and only causing a problem when working harder i. e. towing.

To ask a simple question, have you got a good level of anti-freeze/summer coolant in it? - If there is not enough coolant or it is too old then the water will boil over.

Another vote for the Head Gasket, not overheating yet, but the system is getting pressurised.

Edited by ad210358

Hi there

Just noticed this topic but you might get some good advice on the Rav4 forums (http://www. toyotaown. ..hp?showforum=79). Some very knowledgable chaps and chapesses on there.

Great towcar the Rav, which model do you have? Ours is the 2010 XTR 2. 2 D4D. Only pain is the rear door not being able to be opened when hitched up.

Thanks.

Peter

Hi there,yes I have been on the Toyota Forum and have posted my problem. What most people are saying is that I am on the way to a new engine,as there was a problem with the 2. 2 diesel engine around the 2006 to 2008 that shows the symptoms.

I have taken it to my Toyota garage and are keeping an eye on it. At the moment I have to drive with coolant well below the Min line.

If I fill it to the max line it will seep out over a bit of time until it is back were I started. A strange one. :blink:

Doosan