Christmas Markets - Any Suggestions?

FlyingTog

We had hoped to take the 'van to Lincoln for their famous Christmas Market on the 1st to 4th Dec. ... Unfortunately Mrs Tog has a prior booking (works festive binge!).

So we are looking for alternatives. .. any suggestions for good Christmas markets with a site near by for a weekend break (thur,fri,sat,sun)?

Ideally within two or three hours towing time from Manchester.

Cheers

FT

The St Nicholas Fayre in York is a good one.(24 to 27 November) Unfortunately the CC site in Rowntree Park is fully booked, but there are plenty of CLs and CSs around York as well as a couple of reasonable commercial sites.

The St Nicholas Fayre in York is a good one.(24 to 27 November) Unfortunately the CC site in Rowntree Park is fully booked, but there are plenty of CLs and CSs around York as well as a couple of reasonable commercial sites.

Thanks NSBJ

I'll have a look into York. I worked there for a few years (commuting from Manchester!) so know York. ...well, as well as you can strolling round there in lunch hours over the years.

FT

Chatsworth . .. but it is so popular it may well be booked up . .. but certainly within you time/mileage scope.

Oh . .. and it is very good if you can get it!

You could do 2 in one weekend.

1st and 2nd Saurdays in December Grassington in Wharfedale has its Dickensian Festival and then on the Sundays Skipton holds a Yuletide Festival.

There are plenty of sites in the area including 2 CC - Strid Wood and Wharfedale. Why not email the TIC in Skipton for a list of sites? skipton@ytbtic. co. uk

If this post attracts anyone to the thought of overseas markets, I really like Lille and Brussels. Both are fairly close to Calais in the grand scheme of things although I prefer Strasbourg and the Alsace.

Back to the UK though, what about the Grassington Dickensian thing? I can't offer more info, but the traders dress in local costume. I am sure Google would assist in the search for info.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

Why not try Bath.

The Christmas market around the Abbey is really nice especially at night. Its held over a few weeks before christmas.

Newton mill is a good site with a bar/restaurant on site and a bus nearby. A few minutes drive away is the park and ride service and opposite the park and ride is the Bath Marina caravan site.

Dave

I've been to a number of Christmas Fairs both at home and on the continent and you'll have to go a long way to find a better one than that in the centre of Birmingham. Try staying at the Chapel Lane CC site for a few days and visiting the fair - well worth it. After visiting the fair walk to the Jewellery Quarter for an ogle at the treats on view there

Archived