My Caravan Is Stuck!

brucegriffin

Hi:

A first timer here-please be gentle.

A friend gave us an old caravan which we have decided to fix up, put in our back yard and use as a space for or 14 year-old daughter. Unfortunately, the thing is sitting in our driveway and no amount of pushing and pulling will make it budge (it will move a few inches laterally, but not backwards or forwards). The little wheel (is it called the jockey wheel?) near where the trailer hitches to a car is turned sideways appears frozen.

Neither my wife or I drive or know anything about automobiles, and are only a tiny bit mechanically -minded. Is the caravan locked or braked somehow, and if so, how do we release it?

Thanx very much in advance for any help.

Sincerely/ Bruce from Dorset/UK

First of all, is the handbrake off? that is in the Down position almost touching the A Frame?

Secondly, have you raised the jockey wheel (the one at the front) by turning the handle on the top of the jockey wheel? as some have a cut out which prevents the wheel from moving when in the stored position.

Put the frony steady legs down to the ground. Wind up the jockey wheel until it is off the ground and you will be able to tell if it turns freely. If it does, either work it until it does, or remove it by releasing the nut and ppin in the centre axle. A bit of cleaning with emery paper and oil should do the trick. If the jockey wheel is free then the problem lies with the caravan wheels themselves. As mentioned the brakes could be locked on and if the handbrake is released by being fully forward then you may need to hitch a car to the van to pull it and see if the wheels free off. IOf that fails then you could try jacking up each side and try turning the wheels. If they are solid and the brake is off then the wheels and drums have to come off and you better call in a friendly mechanic. One last thing to check is the towhitch itself to see if it has stuck in the braked position. It should be able to be pushed in tto the drawbar and when released slowly move back out. That also operates the brakes.

By the way are the neighbours happy about you putting an old van in the back garden??

Quote "By the way are the neighbours happy about you putting an old van in the back garden"

What has it got to do with them?

jack it up take of the wheels release hand brake make sure tow hitch is fully extended out place a block of wood on the brake drums

and hit with a club hammer until you can freely turn the hubs

I was thinking same

Bet his friend dropped it off and as above left the jockey wheel to low and the brakes on :rolleyes:

Bruce ask your friend for help its easier if you are shown

Quote "By the way are the neighbours happy about you putting an old van in the back garden"

Quite a lot if we don't live in a "me first and sod everyone else" society. They don't have final say but they certainly deserve a consideration.

Some housing associations do not allow caravans and some local council bylaws prohibit caravans in some areas.

Dave

Some housing associations do not allow caravans and some local council bylaws prohibit caravans in some areas.

Dave

Also it can be written into the deeds by the original builder prohibiting it as well.

Dave

Where we live, the whole town is restricted, 28 days on the drive, and planning permission for anywhere else on the house site. And yes there are people who count the days the caravan is on the drive!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Also it can be written into the deeds by the original builder prohibiting it as well.

Dave

True, but if the builder has since gone bust or ceased to exist or has died then the covenant cannot be enforced.

It is only the original builder who can enforce the covenant - it's purpose is to ensure that the houses on the estate can easily be sold without caravans (being considered as eyesores) causing any problems.

It is unlikely that once all houses have been sold that the original builder can be bothered to start an action against anyone in breech of the covenant as this would involve unecessary legal costs.

True, but if the builder has since gone bust or ceased to exist or has died then the covenant cannot be enforced.

It is only the original builder who can enforce the covenant - it's purpose is to ensure that the houses on the estate can easily be sold without caravans (being considered as eyesores) causing any problems.

It is unlikely that once all houses have been sold that the original builder can be bothered to start an action against anyone in breech of the covenant as this would involve unecessary legal costs.

True but a previous house we lived in we wanted an extension which was clearly stated in the deeds that permission from the original builder was required, the original builder had gone bust many years before but the rights had been taken over by another building firm who our solicitor had to get written permission from. Ok only a paper exercise but but never the less a legal requirement and any quirks in the deeds should have been highlighted by your solicitor on purchase so you should be aware of them.

That is typical of some people on this forum, instead of helping the op, they argur on a totally different subject, who cares if he parks his caravan on the drive, in his back garden or his roof for that matter.

The guy still needs help with his brakes etc.

there iv'e said my peice, harumph !!!!!!!

That is typical of some people on this forum, instead of helping the op, they argur on a totally different subject, who cares if he parks his caravan on the drive, in his back garden or his roof for that matter.

Yeah yeah yeah.

Lighten up mate :D

The covenent can be held by the original landowner and is past to siblings . Where I live the covenent is policed by the original landowner as plans not only need local planning permission but also passed by the landowner under the covenent for a FEE . Only a few years ago someone built an extension without getting the original landowner to pass the drawings . Expensive mistake when he was taken to court and then the bulldozers arrived .

Dave

Here we go again, simple question requires simple answer, OP admits he is new here to our activity, and what does he gets for a simple question, loads of bull about covenants, who gives a monkey if the builders are still alive.

The question is about a caravan that will not move. ....not building regulations chapter and verse, good thing he didn't mention gas and electric in the same breath. :ph34r:

Notice Bruce has not been back, i'm not surprised, you lot have scared him off with all this bull about covenants.

Time and time again i see the same tirade about a simple question go way off topic, then the slanging match will start, then the mods will be activated and beat us up with a big stick and lock the topic. ..then you will all be sent to bed with out your Horlicks/Bovril and favorite teddy bear.

I like Marmite, so i am off to bed with a big mugfull.

P. S. Sorry mods, getting fed up with things going off topic. :(

well said, subject for a totally different thread, what a nice welcome for a newbie to get, would also agree with an earlier post though, may be best for op to ask his friend

Here we go again, simple question requires simple answer, OP admits he is new here to our activity, and what does he gets for a simple question, loads of bull about covenants, who gives a monkey if the builders are still alive.

The question is about a caravan that will not move. ....not building regulations chapter and verse, good thing he didn't mention gas and electric in the same breath. :ph34r:

Notice Bruce has not been back, i'm not surprised, you lot have scared him off with all this bull about covenants.

Time and time again i see the same tirade about a simple question go way off topic, then the slanging match will start, then the mods will be activated and beat us up with a big stick and lock the topic. ..then you will all be sent to bed with out your Horlicks/Bovril and favorite teddy bear.

I like Marmite, so i am off to bed with a big mugfull.

P. S. Sorry mods, getting fed up with things going off topic. :(

again agree wholeheartedly, am sure some on here arn't really 'vanners at all but are just trolling

the greatest benefit for the greatest number

Archived