Elddis Issues

ericfield

Hope someone can help with my Elddis education.

I am a Swift owner wanting to upgrade to a twin bedded model. ..but find their 565 rendition to be wanting in some areas. I have dismissed Baileys new Rimini because in common with other Baileys it has too high a noseweight requirement for my car, to render it stable. That leaves Lunar and Elddis. I know a bit about the Lunar SB but know NOTHING about the Elddis Shamal. ..or indeed the Elddis product quality and performance.

I would appreciate Elddis owners views on their caravans stability when towing, quality of build, nose weights, common warranty issues, customer service. ......in essence what's good and bad with Elddis caravans? How do they compare with the other UK models?

I had a few problems when we bought our Elddis (mostly dealer created) fortunately Elddis's were extremely helpful & they all got sorted,

it tows well & its lasted well, it's now 8 year old, everything still works & I haven't seen a set up that suits us better.

however I don't know what the new ones are like as I daren't take SHMBO to look -_-

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Hi. We've got a 2011 Crusader Tempest, an absolutely fantastic van ! We had a problem with the water pump, but this was a component supplied to Elddis, It was changed under warranty with no fuss or bother. It tows like a dream with IDC (but it is a twin axle, I believe the Shamal is a single and also fitted with IDC ?) We had a Compass Omega (single axle) (Elddis group again) which had the BPW chassis before this one, again it towed easily with no issues.

Build quality is good, there is the odd rough edge but no better or worse than other vans I've seen.

I can't comment on the nose weight issue as ours is spot on (Citroen C-Crosser).

We love the Alde wet central heating, the privacy glass, the led mood lighting, decor and the beds are really comfortable.

In short, I would recommend this caravan to anyone, if you have any other questions, ask away

Hi Eric,

We are in the same boat. Looking to change our Swift Group caravan, but they don't do the layout we are now looking for with the Alde heating which we wouldn't be without.

I've narrowed our choices down to a Lunar Delta FB, Elddis Crusader Tempest or Coachman Laser 655/6.

We are heading to the NEC next week to take a good look at the build quality on all three.

But getting feedback from actual owners and reading through the various forums is a help also.

The trouble with the forums though is that you tend to read more about the horror stories, than those singing the praise.

In the case of the 2012 Elddis & Coachman, they are also new bodyshell designs, so very few will be out there yet in the real world to see how they survive in the real world.

I think I am resigned to the fact that it will e a case of "you pays your money and you takes your chance".

Edited by lohr500

we are on our fourth elddis currently have a 2011 super sirocco, the heatings ace, the beds ace, the large WARM washroom and shower are ace ( can anyone spot a pattern :D ) it tows superb idc etc, also cheaper to insure with the wheel locks etc , cannot recommend enough, jim, ownership also allows you membership to one of the best owners clubs in the world ( proberbly :lol: )

Hi Eric,

We are in the same boat. Looking to change our Swift Group caravan, but they don't do the layout we are now looking for with the Alde heating which we wouldn't be without.

I've narrowed our choices down to a Lunar Delta FB, Elddis Crusader Tempest or Coachman Laser 655/6.

We are heading to the NEC next week to take a good look at the build quality on all three.

But getting feedback from actual owners and reading through the various forums is a help also.

The trouble with the forums though is that you tend to read more about the horror stories, than those singing the praise.

In the case of the 2012 Elddis & Coachman, they are also new bodyshell designs, so very few will be out there yet in the real world to see how they survive in the real world.

I think I am resigned to the fact that it will e a case of "you pays your money and you takes your chance".

Thats very interesting - and I will be VERY interested to hear you assessment of the 3. We hadnt considered Coachman, assuming them to be more pricey. But maybe we should also include them.

I guess my main concern apart from build quality, is noseweight and towing stability. Its the big unknown when swopping brands. One can assess build and make a judgement before buying. ..you cant on the towability/suitability aspects. You need guidance from users.

Having a towcar that only has 80kg noseweight has restricted choice. I am told Bailey dont seem to tow well below 90kg but I dont know how Elddis will tow at 80kg. Lunar and Swift are ok at these lower levels.

As you say one reads more of the worst stories on forums which tends to spook me into a "better the devil I know". I would hate to trade in my little devil and discover a less comfortable stable tow. In some ways warranty issues, although a headache, you can live with.

I do agree with you on the towing front Eric. Both our twin axle Ace Supremes towed superbly with no bad manners even on badly tramlined motorways. We are fortunate though to have a Discovery so we do have some weight on our side.

It is a worry that another brand may not be as stable. The last Ace was very nose heavy though, despite loading as much as we could under the fixed bed.

I can't wait to get to the NEC and see what options are out there. We just sold our previous caravan privately so we can take our time and haggle for a good deal both at the show and in the months that follow. I would prefer to do a deal locally though.

We love the look of the Swift style panoramic sunroof on the Coachman, but the layout of the Elddis, with a three stack bunk bed set up, is also very appealing.