Breakaway Cable - How Do I Squeeze The Eye Shut

Hi

I recently snapped of my old breakaway cable so have purchases a new one. The caravan shop owner said i need to attach it to the handbrake of the caravan then squeeze the metal eye closed on it. However this is a thick piece of metsl with very little room to manoeuvre with.

Any suggestions what tool I should use to try and tighten the eye onto the section of the handbrake. Have tried standard pliers but can't shift the metal eye!!

thanks

You do not hook the eye on to the brake! It is far too strong.

If you get a new cable it will include a ring on the end similar to but much heavier than a keyring with approximately 1/4-1/2 turn overlap. It is a bit tough but it is this that is wound on to the brake.

The heavy wire ring is rated to unwind and release the cable without actually snapping the cable itself but only after applying the brake. If you used the hook end the cable would have to snap or pull the swaged end off.

I replaced mine (yes I had been stupid) a couple of weeks ago and it was £3. 99 from Wilco, made by Maypole.

From what I can find the type without the keyring are for non-braked trailers. If you look on amazon for caravan breakaway cable you will see several images. All seem expensive compared to my price.

The Al-Ko breakaway cable with the hook end, as described, DOES hook onto the brake operating aperture at the base of the handbrake.

To fit it, slide the end through the hole the old one came out of and using a pair of mole grips tighten it up a little at a time.

It IS very strong so not an easy thing to attach.

I use a small bench vice to do the job, and even that is not easy.

Edited by Brecon

As I have a removeable tow hitch I replaced the existing one with one from Alko which is meant to be clipped not looped round the ball. It came with a hook not a keyring and had to be squeezed closed. It was the same on the original one that I replaced which I had to cut off. As previous poster said I used a pair of mole grips to close.

Yep like brecon &toolnut I used molegrips when I replaced mine. It is indeed supposed to be connected directly.

You could also use a pair of water pump pliers for squeezing the hook into shape, I find that the length of the handle gives a good amount of leverage for applying the pressure required to squeeze in the metal.

I used a heavy duty shackle as used on boats etc . with a screw closure.

Regards

I used a heavy duty shackle as used on boats etc . with a screw closure.

Regards

And do you mouse the shackle pin?

Seriously, with the latest type of breakaway cable either the handbrake end or the car clip will give way when the cable operates. Using a shackle removes one of those weak points.

Edited by beejay

Bend the hook into a eye and fix to brake with a shackle or a carbine both with screw closure. This makes the job much easeir and no weak points removed.

Regards

This is being clouded and over complicated. Several full and correct answers have already been posted.

Fit the hook directly to the brake and squeeze it shut with a pair of mole grips. It will then be fitted correctly and as its designed to be.

It isn't that difficult, the OP just wanted to know what tool to use.