Sign in to follow this  
richjan100

Truma Water Heater Advice Needed

Hi,

I have a 2007 Swift wtih a Truma Ultrastore gas / electric water heater.

It has recently started to cut off when on mains 240v

if swithched off and left for a few hours it sometimes re-heats . ........ not always.

the water temperature when working is no diferent in temperature than

before the problen started.

The gas operation is fine and a great back up.

Has any one had this fault and know its cause?

is it likely to be the replacement of a spare part

or a complete heater swap?

having seen the cost of a repalcement water heater

I remain optomistic.

your thoughts and advice are most welcome.

Thanks

The electric element is a separate part of the heater that is available on its own, and failure of the element seems the likely cause.

Hi

I have this problem also, we just got back from a weekend away. The van wasn't level so I think that may be the cause as it's been great in the past. Works fine on gas though.

richjan, did your fridge stop working too?

I seem to remember someone having the same problem and the repair from them was to check the fuse contacts on the switched fuse on the on / off switch where the plug top style fuse fits as the contacts get corroded / soft due to load and caused intermittent connections. Clean them or if they have gone soft (lost their springy feel) replace with a new switch fuse unit. Might be worth a try.

Dave

Edited by dave11a

thanks for the replies,

Trevor, this is worth a try after if Dave11a's suggestion.

Dave, I switch the heater on with switch on the bed box control panel I may not be able to find the fusehttp://www. flickr. com/photos/94286450@N00/6204560686/

Glynb, the fridge works fine, I forgot to mention that the caravan is on a seasonal pitch so it hasn't moved since working properly.

I'll keep you posted

Rich

Not sure about the unit you have posted but the last 3 vans I have had have all had similar to the picture fitted very close to the water heater and this is the type that had a problem with the fuse holder.

1000035.jpg

Hi Dave

the control panel (in the pic) is the sole control for the water heater (other than the room thermostat)

I'll have a poke around at the weekend, though I feel that a single circuit breaker is in place of the fuse to protect the water heater

regards

I would suggest that you give Gary at Arc Systems a ring or email he is a member on here and he is very helpful I am sure he will be able to help you out.

http://www. arcsystems. biz/

The water temperature should be 70 I think.

http://www. leisuresh. ..ma_heaters. aspx

Spares here?

Like this?

http://www. leisureshopdirect. com/caravan/gas/product_19026/Truma_Boiler_Heating_Element_450watt_Series_2_and_3. aspx

Edited by Lefthand Down

I would check the switched spur face-plate first if it has one. I find it a bit odd that a van manufacturer uses them though, our water heater is on a RCBO on the main power panel.