Caravan Security Chip..............

Bobby Brocklebank

One of ma work colleagues has just sold his van. Think it was a 2005 4 Berth Sterling Cruach ? Sold it in two days for 7 Grand. Absolutely spotless. The new owner asked if it was chipped ? Never knew they security chiped caravans or do they ?............... :huh:

Grumpy Auld Smeesh. ........... :angry:

Ace Jubilee Statesman . .......... Jaguar S Type 2. 7d SE Auto Sport. .........

A lot of the manufacturers are building in security chips within the caravan and CRiS do a microdot system that is linked to the CRiS number on your van

on this subject, i've, not as yet, looked into it in any great depth but do'es anyone know if there are relativly cheap after market chips we as owners can buy & install, without going for full blown tracker systems?

i have used ' smart water ' on all our expensive bits of kit ( t. v.& sat' system etc) in the 'van but other than wheel lock, hitch lock and CRiS etching on the windows, i have no other security measures in place.

that said, how far do you go, when like us, you've only paid £400 (initial purchase price) for your unit ?

the greatest benefit for the greatest number

on this subject, i've, not as yet, looked into it in any great depth but do'es anyone know if there are relativly cheap after market chips we as owners can buy & install, without going for full blown tracker systems?

i have used ' smart water ' on all our expensive bits of kit ( t. v.& sat' system etc) in the 'van but other than wheel lock, hitch lock and CRiS etching on the windows, i have no other security measures in place.

that said, how far do you go, when like us, you've only paid £400 (initial purchase price) for your unit ?

Hi oldowl. What did you manage to secure for your £400. 00 spend?. I cannot recall how much ours was,but it was as good as for next to nothing. Our (my ex wife & I that is) first caravan was a cracking little Astral Ranger,complete with foot operated floor water pump & a closet for the Porta Potti.

It was not much bigger than a double size tea-chest but what fun a memories during the formative years of No1 daughter (of three) growing up.

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Hi oldowl. What did you manage to secure for your £400. 00 spend?. I cannot recall how much ours was,but it was as good as for next to nothing. Our (my ex wife & I that is) first caravan was a cracking little Astral Ranger,complete with foot operated floor water pump & a closet for the Porta Potti.

It was not much bigger than a double size tea-chest but what fun a memories during the formative years of No1 daughter (of three) growing up.

we landed a 2 berth, avondale orestes, circa 1992, she'd seen better days but was dry and damp free, all in all she now stands us at about £650, but we have re-decorated twice in the 12 mths we've had her, she's had new carpet, new water pump, the drainage pipes from the kitchen sink etc, have all been re-newed, plus a couple of other little bits that make her 'our's'

the greatest benefit for the greatest number

The "chip" is fitted to all vans registered with CRiS and has been for several years.

When I purchased a foreign van several years ago and registered it with CRiS the chip came with the "pack" from CRiS.

I was instructed to fit it in the van close to a window so the police could use their scanner to identify the van if it had been stolen.

The chip fitted in a drilled holed approx 6mm in diameter from memory. I fitted it within the locker framework.

CRiS asked for the location to be identified on their paperwork so the police would know roughly near which window in the van the chip was located.

Dave

Archived