Running A Car Stereo In Caravan

johnboy8o

Hi, i have just purchased somewhat old folding caravan and i want to install a car stereo. The van is all set up for hook up ando it has a transformer which plugs into mains which then runs to zig cp400 unit. the problem im having is no matter what i do i cant get the stereo to work from the unit. the stereo does work as i have tried it in the car. i first tried yelllow to live and black to earth and no go. I then went on the web and it said because there is no ignition i should join the red and yellow together to live and black to earth. still no joy!

Can someone please help before i lose the will to live!!!!!

Thanks

John :wacko:

As you have found your radio has two power feeds + earth

One feed is called the accessory or igniton feed, which in a car came live and powered the radio when the ignition was turned on. The second was the battery and originally only maintained the memory(tuning settings etc) when the ignition was turned off. More modern units however draw the main amp power feed from the battery terminal and only use the accessory or ignition feed to tell the unit to turn on.

Shorting the two feeds together is only absolutely required if the radio does not have an ignition off override feature although to save the car battery frequently this would turn the radio off after a period (normally 1 hour).

Negative goes to the battery and all speaker leads must be completely separate so do not common the negative terminals left and right or front to rear. Very occasionally the aerial will depend on the earthing of the car chassis so earth the aerial sheild to the negative lead as well.

If the radio was the original fitment in your car then it may be looking for authentication from the car ECU before turning on. This makes some factory fit radios unsuitable donors for a different use.

Some radios have a feed to an electric ariel to make it go up if fitted . If a battery is not used some electronic items can be damaged coming off a transformer as the battery smooths out the voltage .

I would check the radio still works in the car as trying different wires can damage the circuits inside then its just a case of checking with a meter which is the live and negative feeding it .

Dave

Dave

• 4 months later...

check that you have power to where your connecting the stereo to if yes the the earth is the problem. power is simple red and yellow connected together to the 12v supply. the black negative electrical earth should be connected the the 12v negative supply,also on some headunits you must earth the aerial jack aswell or some also have a bolt in the centre at the rear which can also be earthed. you dont need to connect the aerial power lead as thats only to power an elctric aerial. make sure none of the speaker outputs are shorting out by touching each other. and you should really run in through a battery and not straight from the zig.

Just an idea is the power feed you have 12 volts? Maybe bad connections giving a power feed but low voltage