Best Time To Book Ferry To Spain?

I'm thinking of taking the ferry to Spain next year (I'll need one of the dog-friendly cabins) to save the 3 or 4 day drive. Went in July/August this year but I'll be back to our more usual September dates next year.

I have never booked this route - are there any 'best ways' to book, time-wise or discount-wise?

Advice welcome. ...

t.

I don't think you'll find discounts on this route, at all. Brittany Ferries are not good at offering discounts themselves (although you can get discounts by booking through the Caravan Club or the Camping Cheques websites). Neither of these offer discounts on the Spanish crossings though. Some other ferry operators bring prices down at around the time of the Caravan Show at the NEC which is in about ten days - so it might be worth waiting until then to see if Britanny Ferries come up with anything.

I'm thinking of taking the ferry to Spain next year (I'll need one of the dog-friendly cabins) to save the 3 or 4 day drive. Went in July/August this year but I'll be back to our more usual September dates next year.

I have never booked this route - are there any 'best ways' to book, time-wise or discount-wise?

Advice welcome. ...

t.

We have used this route to Spain for the last two years and as Val says there is much room for maneuver on price's with Brittany Ferry's but I would book as soon as possible as the best price can normally be had at the beginning of the season

Thanks all - I did think it unlikely that there'd be any crafty ways to bbok - I'll wait to see if there's anything on offer around the time of the Show but it doesn't sound like there'll be much. I want the midday-ish to midday-ish crossing as well, so it'll be 'top dollar' I'm sure!

t.

We did the Portsmouth to Santander crossing 2 years ago and it was a 11 am departure and a 12 noon arrival. The return is a 3 pm departure. The arrival in Santander is not so much fun as it discharged us straight into the Santander traffic going home for, lunch. You also wend your way around town to get out. It is well marked but 'interesting'. Once out of town then the roads are good. I suspect that discounts are going to be on the smallish side and you may need to sit down when you see the fares. Brittany Ferries are good at charging. I have received an e mail from them as a previous cusotmer advising that bookings for 2012 are now available and prices 'are at 2011 rates'. Doing a quick booking browse taking the cheapest cabin for out 1st week of September 2012 and returning end of the month came up with £1117, no meals included, which I feel is damm high. You cannot book dog friendly cabins on the web, so you will have to call them to see what that will cost.

We will not use it again as my wife suffered badly from seasickness in the Bay of Biscay, but we do have time to take the scenic land route.

I don't think there are many dog friendly cabins so that might be the deciding factor.

On the Portsmouth Santander route the dogs are in kennels at the very top of the boat. Access is available at all times for feeding and for walking them round the deck. We do not have a dog, so cannot vouch for their condition, but other travellers using the facility seemed happy enough. Certainly better than locking them in a box on the car deck, as I saw on an Irish ferry once.

Not sure which route it is (not sure I understand the difference between Bilbao and Santander just yet???) but they definitely do cabins where you can keep the dog with you rather than having to lock it up.

t.