Cover Or Not To Cover That Is The Question

JogonUK

Just purchased a van s/h 6yr old Pageant. ....

Not sure about whether or not to buy a cover for it.

I dont like the idea of snow/frost sitting on the van for days sometimes weeks (snow last year) at a time and would rather protect the van from the elements. ..but

Do they create their own problems? Most of them look the breathable sort (Mayflower etc) and once it's covered I wouldn't be constantly taking it on and off but instead it would stay covered until it came out to play in around March next year.

Do covers create their own damp? and what are the good/bad points/merits of having a cover and if possible are their any recommendation as to which sort to buy.

Thankyou

I used mine for the very first time last year and was pleased with the results. I spent the whole day cleaning/polishing the van inside and out before fitting the solar panel to trickle charge the battery then putting the cover on. Van looked as good as the day the cover was put on.

Will be doing the same next weekend (too hot today!!!) as we have no plans for further trips this season albeit that we have a fortnight booked to the Red Sea at the beginning of November.

I bought mine at 7 years old complete with cover. It had been used as evidenced by the wear holes and rodent attack around the edges. However when I compare the paint standard with others of about the same age/make/model (there are at least 3 here today alone) mine shows no real evidence of the use of a cover over any other and it is unlikely all have been protected.

Due to the damage of the cover and slight scuff marks on the van I do not bother with it. A good wash with a brush and a light pressure wash with the fan attachment after the 1st trip each year left it clean and bright and that will do for the year.

At this age now all the resin plastic work has aged yellow and no cover or amount of polishing is going to change that. The main blemish is the non-setting mastic used as a sealant has turned almost black with the grime in it. However as the van came from a caravan repair centre although they claimed they were just acting as agents one of the clues was the age of the mastic that no work had been done.

We store our van in France, and put a cover on, after washing, from Sept to April. Its only a cheapy breathable one but people remark how clean our van looks (7 vears old) compared to theirs. We put tubs of salt down inside and leave the cupboards/beds open and have not had any problems. Don't know, but I think it helps to keep rodents/bugs out as its impractical for us to check on it periodically.

Pete

Do not coveres actually increase the possibilty of creating damp/rust etc?

I was of a mind to remove all of the seating (as in the upholstery ) for the winter, and then leave the cupboards open and do the tubs of salt idea (how many would you recommend and where) and remove the carpet/shower curtain as well (not sure about the rest of the curtains) . ..dont suffer from rodents where the van will be parked and I'm parking it on a tarmac drive as opposed to part of the garden that has grass and where I could put slabs on for each corner. ..methinks storing of a van on grass is not a good idea.

We used to take the cushions etc out, but haven't for 15 years now. We put about 6 butter tubs half filled with salt spread throughout the van on the floor. A mouse can do quite a bit of damage over winter, only ever had one in the front locker.

Pete

I bought a cover as. Van stored under a tree

Washed polished van put cover on, removed to go away fortnight ago van spotless and shiny

Now returned and done the same

Wouldn't be without it now

At this age now all the resin plastic work has aged yellow and no cover or amount of polishing is going to change that.

Magic Sponge will clean up ALL your plastic work on the van ie: fridge vents etc

http://www. youtube. com/watch?v=FSuEchfiPM4

one of the best bit of kit for cleaning almost anything :D

Ray.

Edited by oldhandtaylor