Ooming And Arring! Portugal Or Not!

We are planning to go to Southern Portugal, the Algarve for most of February. Now do we fly down and then hire a car and find some accommodation, or do we get a ferry crossing and then drive down with the caravan.

Which is going to be most cost effective?

Comments please!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

We are planning to go to Southern Portugal, the Algarve for most of February. Now do we fly down and then hire a car and find some accommodation, or do we get a ferry crossing and then drive down with the caravan.

Which is going to be most cost effective?

Comments please!

Drive down and stop at Camping Turiscampo near Lagos would be my choice, if your driving from Calais allow 4-5 days which will get you there without overdoing it and if your taking the ferry to Spain then 1 overnight stop around Cacerres will be sufficient .

As for cost's I cant comment as I don't fly and much prefer having the use of my car and caravan and the freedom to move on when we want but I would think that the car and caravan option would probably be more expensive

Edited by neil and lena

I would definitely take the van, ferry to Spain and one overnighter (or possibly two depending on ferry times). Then, having got the car and caravan down there, why stay put for a month?. Have a week at the east end of the Algarve (Orbitur Camping, Quartiera is where we stayed and would recommend). Then a week at the west end as Neil & Lena suggest (making sure you do the boat trip off the end of Ponta de Piedade). Then follow the Portuguese coast northwards with visits to Evora, Lisbon and Porto. The Atlantic coast north of Porto up to the Spanish border is wonderful. Then either inland to Salamanca Tordesillas and north to the coast, or continue northwards to Santiago and across the northern coast of Spain through Galicia and Asturias.