Cassoa Or Not ?

Evening all,

we are in a quandry and would like some input from you knowledgeable lot. ..

We currently have our van stored on a cassoa site. We have paid £365 a year so far but recently the site was upgraded to a gold site and the owner slapped the cost upto £420 a year without justification.

The site is great apart from 2 issues - access is restricted to 9 til 5 which stops early starts and late returns and the clown parked next to us cannot leave his van centralised for love nor money in fact was so close last week we could not get our van in.

We have found an alternative site, non cassoa but very secure perimiter fence access from 7 am til dusk then 6pm in winter. The tracks around the facility are gravel and the pitch is well kept very short grass and washing facilities on site. This for only £210 a year. The pitch we can have is enormous with 5 or 6 feet down both sides of the van.

Should we move ? Are the costs of a cassoa site worth it.

Thanks all

Why don't you Name the storage site you are thinking of moving too and ask for reviews on it??

You may get a discount off your insurance for your current site being Cassoa Gold.

We are currently on a Cassoa gold site, suits us great as it is connected to a Private Caravan Park and they tug it on and off for us as required a great option for weekends. Also it is only the storage site owner who has access to pulling the caravan in and out of storage we like this as hopefully less chance of my caravan being dinted.

I pay £335 annually.

Edited by MEG55

The choice is yours. CASSOA is more an association rather than anything else. It does indicate general attributes of sites but of course each site is still under the direct control of the owners. Just because it is CASSOA does not mean it is necessarily better than one that is not part of the organisation. The discount on insurance is nice, but not a showstopper.

Talk to other owners on the new site and if it all seems fine, then why not? As a general trend rates eem to be increasing all the time and £300-£400 is becoming common. Don't foprget it includes VAT at 20%

Cant seem to find any criteria list for what makes a cassoa site silver/gold etc as it would be helpful to know the differeces in the criteria, cant find it though.

Alex

My caravan was vandalised at a Somerset CASSOA Silver store, whose owner rudely,entirely washed his hands of the affair. I then did a lot of research into CASSOA and had a number of contacts with its 'official' channel. The organisation which, as has been mentioned, is merely a private association. It seems that the bronze, silver, gold levels are decided by an inspector and a report to a committee. There is is no evidence of the criteria being available to site users. In fact, quite the reverse. Our conversations and email responses to simple questions were made with reluctance and totally refused to discuss criteria. I was tersely informed that this is 'confidential business information.' Involvement in CASSOA sites is like buying a car, which you can view, but for which there is no published specification of how it works.

I changed to a non-CASSOA store, which is much more secure and much more pleasantly managed. My insurance increased by about 20%, but the extra was worth it for the peace of mind.

The following year, my premium was reduced by changing insurance companies to get the reduction offered to attract new business. The new company has a good reputation, verified by many postings on this forum. I am prepared to change again, for the same reason.

My present storage owners see absolutely no advantage in joining CASSOA. Caravanning is so popular that they already have a waiting list long enough to persuade them to develop a new storage area.

In my sincere and honestly held opinion, as a system of advantage to caravan users, CASSOA outwardly appears to be something of a con trick. It would be fair to the people who pay the fees if CASSOA themselves, site owners and insurance companies became transparent by publishing what are the advantages to those of us who now pay heavily for their services.

Our storage place has just recently been accredited with CASSOA gold.

When I contacted my insurance company to let them know, I got a refund of £16, my sister has her van in the same place and she got a £12 discount. So from what I can see, the difference in insurance premiums for CASSOA and non CASSOA sites isn't that much.

I use a CASSOA registerd site as the alternatives were the back of farmyard/scrapyard types in this area. It is a gold site and cost £360 a year so your price seems a bit high.

Simple maths of how much the insurance goes up and the saving of an alternative option will not include your peace of mind on the security of a new site. Only you can take that into account. Provide you pay the extra insurance then you have the same level of protection ultimatly but what is the real increase in risk of something happening.

I get the impression that once a site owner has got CaSSOA accreditation, that ongoing checks on house keeping and functionality of security are not made by CaSSOA.

I have seen a Gold site where vegetation has gone unchecked after original setup to the degree that the passive perimeter sensors were clearly obstructed and would not detect intrusion.

These were the type where there is a beam transmitter and in line receiver.

If CaSSOA did do follow up checks, surely this could not happen if whatever the initial standards for acceptance into the 'Club' are to be maintained?

Wonder just how secure they really are relative to the security features normally advertised?

Stay safe ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Gosh we are so lucky, we pay £150 a year the site has big hedges around a locked gate and two CCTV cameras, it is a small storage site about 20 caravans. , we have used the site for about 10 years it was £100 when we first went there, the owner has a list of people waiting. He knows how cheap he is but most people have been with him for a long time so very seldom puts the price up. :) .

Thank you all for a great bunch of replies. The insurance increase is around 5% so the savings we'd get over a year, never mind several, are significant.

The change to gold certificate does nothing for my insurance and I believe the owners have done it to firstly justify increased costs but also to attract new owners.

The savings will pay my annual insurance costs.

With the negative views of what cassoa actually offers you, as the owner, don't appear value for money at all. .

Many thanks again .

Just because a storage place doesn't have CaSSOA accreditation doesn't make it a bad storage place. It may mean that the owner of the place doesn't see any advantages to it and hasn't applied for it.

Unfortunately, sometimes we have little choice if you live in an area where there is only a few storage sites available. I have that problem and the Gold CASSOA site is the biggest and at least here, is the best run. Yes, it is not cheap but I accept the cost for the peace of mind. Entry is by a fingerprint scan, which is fun. The site also allows access by a mobile engineer who does most of the servicing, at cheaper prices so I lose on the swings, and gain on the roundabouts.

The current storage would never allow a mobile engineer on site, get a tad moody if you clean your van. ...

The main downside is the lack of hardstanding - it's very well maintained compacted grass, none of it long. Was concerned over damp and rodents.

Other than that I am tempted to give it a go.

I pay £520p. a. for a non registered storage with very little space between vans.

Anyone in the Dudley area know an alternative please post?

Hi, I pay £468 p. a for a Cassoa gold site in Darlaston. Don't know if that's too far for you?

The farm where I store my caravan is pretty secure. Cassoa tried to persuade them to join, but apparently you have to feature on their website if you do. The farm preferred to keep a low profile - part of the security being that from the local roads you can't see that there is a caravan storage yard. For similar reasons you're not allowed to bring prospective purchasers of your caravan to the site.

Never had a problem in the years we've been there.

They get all their new customers by word of mouth or by being referred by the local dealer - 90% of the caravans have hitch covers from the local dealer. The local dealer won't refer anyone he considers in any way dodgy, so keeping the storage yard 'secret'

Cassoa tried to persuade them to join, but apparently you have to feature on their website if you do.

Not true. Our storage place has just got a gold rating. I was watching the CaSSOA website to make sure it was listed before I got in touch with my insurance company, but after a few days there was still no mention of it so I got in touch with CaSSOA. They said my place was accredited but the owner had decided he didn't want his details on the website.

I visited a CaSSOA Gold site. The perimiter fencing was old wooden fence panels - fives minutes with a saw would get through them. Then I went through an open gate and found myself within the 'secure' compound. I spent 5 minutes wandering around the caravans without being challenged. I then tried to locate the owner but the place was deserted.

I concluded that Gold status probably just meant you'd paid the biggest joining fee to CaSSOA.

We pay £90 for 6 months on a farm, very secure, we have to phone If the gates are locked, very big dogs! the farmer also has horses and rear breed cattle which he assures me are worth far more than my caravan :0(

We previously kept our 'van at a CASSOA "Gold" site - it was very secure, excellent facilities and not too expensive. It was, however, some 40 miles away (round the M25/M23) from home so popping there to do something in advance of a break was a bit of a pain. The local C&CC site has storage facilities (10 mins away) so we moved there when a space became available - it is not CASSOA registered but there was no change in my insurance premium.

Cheers,

Ralph

I have my van on an airfield just outside Tamworth about 20 miles away from where i live. It isn't registered and as soon as I mention this to an insurance company they don't want to know. anyone Know who I can get to insure me?

I have my van on an airfield just outside Tamworth about 20 miles away from where i live. It isn't registered and as soon as I mention this to an insurance company they don't want to know. anyone Know who I can get to insure me?
Try Caravanwise
We pay £90 for 6 months on a farm, very secure, we have to phone If the gates are locked, very big dogs! the farmer also has horses and rear breed cattle which he assures me are worth far more than my caravan :0(
How far from town?
I pay £520p. a. for a non registered storage with very little space between vans.

Anyone in the Dudley area know an alternative please post?

Is Kiddie too far away?

I have used several CASSOA sites, it suits me and my experience is good.

Isn't this just similar to choosing between club sites and private sites. .. in that the former provides a consistent standard which the later may not meet, but equally could be better.

Again it's largely down to personal choice.