London

A site within walking distants of a railway station for days in London or the best way to do London with caravan

I'm with Poolebob on this one. We've stayed at both Abbey Wood and Crystal Palace and much prefer the latter. The park itself is lovely with superb views over southern London and you can walk through it to the railway station. Plus the suburb of Crystal Palace itself is much more interesting than the area around Abbey Wood.

Crystal Palace is also much better to get to than Abbey Wood coming from the Midlands.

The No 3 bus is good but does take around an hour to central London (but is free for those of us who qualify!).

• 2 weeks later...

Crystal Palace as it has buses 24 hours a day. No 3 bus daytime and N3 nightime, to Trafalgar Square, Picadilly and finally Oxford Circus. The bus stop is 400 yards from camp every 8-12 minutes, and our best journey time was 40 minutes. It's £2,20 each way for those who don't have the Oldies Pass. Crystal Palace town is great with lots of eateries and a Sainsburys if you need it. For those who are using SatNav to get there, use the Old Cople Lane address rather than Crystal Palace Parade as the entry to the campsite is on the Lane rather than the Parade.

Abbey Wood any time (Pickets Lock I think is now closed - a victim of the Olympics).

From the Abbey Wood site you can walk to the Southeastern Rail station in a few minutes and this train takes you direct to central London in 35 to 40 minutes or you can change at Woolwich Arsenal and take the DLR (Docklands Light Railway) to other parts of London including the Olympic City. Also from Woolwich Arsenal there is the Thames Clipper River Bus - a splendid way of seeing the sights - there is also a large Pay and Display car park which is just a ten minute drive from Abbey Wood CC - this river bus service only runs in the mornings and evenings on week days but about every forty minutes on weekends and bank holidays.

And remember that the Historical Greenwich is just a few minutes away for the CC plus at Woolwich Arsenal there is also a historic presence.

If you like gentle walks then just outside the CC site is Lesnes Abbey (ruins of) plus many acres of woodlands and woodland walks.

Finally the actual site is beautifully laid out and was completely upgraded just a few years back and is now a club flag ship site.

Forgot to say that there is also a 24 hour bus service into and out of London.

And the icing on the cake - you may see my van and/or me there :wub:

Edited by TedNewman

A bit of subject but would love to visit Crystal Palace, its the other side of London from our location.

What is the best route from Nottinghamshire, A1 or M1 then M25 or A5 through London, or other?

A bit of subject but would love to visit Crystal Palace, its the other side of London from our location.

What is the best route from Nottinghamshire, A1 or M1 then M25 or A5 through London, or other?

M1 down to the end thrn on to hsnger lane on the north circular and then south over Kew bridge onto the south circulsr and follow the CC instructions.

Agree with Bill - we use M40 / M25 / M4 from Brum then South Circular. One or two junctions where you need to keep your wits about you but not too bad a run.

Even more off subject and not really relevant. Being from up north didn't fancy the slog to south London. Welwyn Garden City, less of a drive but can't walk to the station. Drive to Cockfosters- 20 min? park up and tube it !!! Buy an Oyster card, travel is as cheap as chips, after the £5 deposit for the card. Walk up and tube is £4 ish a stop but with Oyster it's peanuts to the centre.

My daughter earns 'hotel miles' so had a free night in town while caravan sulked back at Welwyn :P

Go to Borough Market, yum yum. Or for cheapies Goodge Street market, Only 3 stalls but a gem for off the wall eats! :D

And rent a boris bike, they are FANTASTIC and. ....... first half hour is FREE, after 5 mins take another, and that's FREE as well

Who said London is expensive? I'm trying to book Les Mis, now THAT is expensive :-( me thinks the mrs will have to stay at Goodge market :)