Heritage 640 Es(T) Ltd Edition 2008

skidmarks

I have a Heritage 640 ES(6) 2007, which is pretty identical in the front 2/3 to the (D), with a rear lounge convertable to either two singles, or a very large double plus folding (child) bunks.

Even though it is a 2007, it has all the mod-cons that the Lunars and Swifts are just starting to put in there upmarket vans. .. such as ALDE wet heating system, satellite connections. The ALDE heating is a brilliant system, and has seen us through two winter outings. It is lovely to tow with my Kia Sorento, being twin axle, is very stable. With an awning attached, it is provides a great space.

One only problem, if it is a problem (I don't think so), is that the support of the manufacturer is not available due to Fleetwood going into recievership (mainly due to their aquisition by ADRIA. However, with a good dealer you should have no problems, as most of the standard parts are available or replacable.

I think you will be very pleased with the caravan.

Thanks Smiler we're quite close to trying to do a deal but know nothing about the van or its true value and are always ultra cautious with such a purchase to the extent that we eventually lose the item. The van appears fantastic especially with its extras of Riech quad mover, 80kw roof mounted solar panel, new battery,upgraded upholstery, full service history, water ingress history. one owner £14k. Appreciate your opinion as there only willing to reduce by a few hundred quid. I must say its probably worth it but have nothing to bench mark it with.

Personally speaking from my biased viewpoint, I don't think there's anything to compare!

We give Fleetwood owners as much support as possible and have a list of OEM suppliers. Most everything, even things like front and back panels are available in the unfortunate event of a road shunt or accidental damage.

Check out our website & forum. I'll also send you a link for a lorryload of photos, please let us know how you get on either way.

www. fleetwood-owners-club. co. uk

Thanks. How do you get on with the passat? I have a 3. 0tdi A6 avant quattro which I'm hoping will be adequate.

Same running gear. Passat estate is brilliant as it's 4WD like yours and never spins a wheel on wet grass etc and it makes for a very stable tow. LPG converted from new so it is very economic and I had an extra cooler fitted for the auto box for peace of mind although it's probably OK without.

The Heritage is more stable than our old Vanroyce single axle to tow. MPG dropped from 18 to 14, but the reason is I don't hang around slipstreaming lorries. With our new 1700kgs van I notice the weight more and am happy to let it carry me downhill at a slightly higher speed to help me up the other side. Although the Passat's got the power I am slower uphill and away from roundabouts than I used to be. The LPG donut tanks are quite small so I often need maximum mpg because of 120 mile towing range as fillups can be hard to find.

I think our technical officer used to tow his present 2008 ES with the same Audi as yours and described it as an easier drive than his previous Range Rover. I'm sure Allan would be happy to let you know his thoughts if you email him from the website (mention it was my idea).

If I have a criticism as such about our van, it's that all the cupboard and front locker space invites you to fill it, and then you get the van on a weighbridge and find you have to empty it all out again or put it in the car. Doh.

I'm so glad I opted for AWD Powrtouch movers. Twin axle vans are still a problem to turn and whatever TA you choose you really do need 4WD unless you like doing million point turns. The Reich should be great and save you the expense of having some fitted. I added shock absorbers too.

Edited by limecc

Well we've gone and done it, deposit paid. too good a van to miss. Can't believe what we've ended up with having seen so much rubbish out there.

Great! I reckon they're comparable to the build quality of Vanmaster and were £10K cheaper when new. A bargain.

Insurance next up. New for old. We dont have any n/c discount so will probably get stung! Considering a seasonal pitch for quick get a way weekends although we will still tour. Caravan club seem to be the best and most expensive but it seems when you need them they deliver. Any opinions or experience of them?

You should get discount for the ALKO Secure wheel locks (assume they were with the van) , and the CRiS markings. Mine also has the Alarm, Thiefbeater system of panel markings and ID chips, which I believee was standard on Heritage Models. All these will get you some % off the insurance price.

Edited by smiler38

Thanks Smiler. How will I know if it has the panel marking and id chips? this van seems to have had an awful lot of kit on it. I'm getting the feeling we made a good choice choosing this van.

It has the alko wheel locks (thankfully) but we dont think it has the thief-beater. I suppose we ought to get the alko hitch lock they appear decent!! Any other recommendations for security?

I'm sure Thiefbeaters was an OEM purchase. You need to give them a ring with your CRiS number. Front/Rear panel, shower, bathroom sink are just some of the items marked. Metis tracker was also standard in 2008. I got the Tracker Ltd system for my 2007 model.

Any tips on insurance for Fleetwoods? Ideally like new for old. Whats the equivalent van that they use for this purpose? CC seem to always deal with claims quickly and pay up.

Big thread on this on the Owner Club forum.

Cheapest for me by far was the C&CC insurers but not for others.

Well all our plans have changed. Wifes op cancelled until just before Christmas (would you believe it). So we're now rushing around to complete the deal on the caravan and get all the gear we need so that we can take it out over half term. Pdi will take ages as theres so much to this van that we haven't had in the past and we have to remember it all otherwise we're going to be stuck. Hope to get away tomorrow afternoon, no idea where probably not too far away as we won't get it til late ish, giving us may be a couple of hours driving time at most. Don't want to be setting up a strange van in the dark. Then we'll probably move again into Shropshire or may be Powys but as I said it could be anywhere. Insured with Caravan club, the young lady on the phone was very proffessional and thorough. New for old and agreed a replacement should the worse happen. Car insuranced didn't want to know that we were towing, neither did Green flag, thought that they would!

• 2 months later...

Well we now require an awning, what make did you get for your van? Are you pleased with it? I was thinking a 2nd hand Isabella or Ventura if I can find one!

We've got both, but never used the porch awning (from the previous van) as 6. 4m of internal space means we can do without making the porch awning is too much hassle and the full awning is only needed during our main vacation of two weeks.

I sniped a year old 2009 Pyramid Corsican for about half price from Ebay. Perfect, but what a weight and size! Cavern-like internal space.

I had a Pyramid Corsican for a couple of years and as you say it was cavernous. Trouble was the poor quality didnt stand up to long tour in Spain and Portugal.

I bought a conversion kit for our old Bradcot 925 awning and we have used that for the last 2 years. In it's cut down form the awning fits to a point just ahead of the bedroom window so we find it ideal.

Toyota Landcruiser and Fleetwood Heritage 640 ES(T)

I had a Pyramid Corsican for a couple of years and as you say it was cavernous. Trouble was the poor quality didnt stand up to long tour in Spain and Portugal.

I wouldn't rate our Pyramid as poor quality. Coming from the older NR awning we had for the other van it is fully comparable maybe better and has many nice features. Compared to a Bradcot though, as you say these are head and shoulders better you get what you pay for.