Carbon Monoxide Alarms

Aldi currently have Kidde compact CO alarms on sale at £13. 99. I have bought 2, one for home and one for the caravan.

They have a life of 7 years and can be wall-mounted or just laid on a table or shelf. They have a load alarm.

I'm fitting them this afternoon.

Tim

Thanks for that useful piece of info tim. Looks like a trip to Aldi today :)

I was there early on thursday and they only had two left, so luck i was early. However on reading the instruction, they recommend a distance of 5mts away from any appliance, so ill have to mount mine on the hitch. :lol:

BTW only bought one, for van and home, whats the point of it sitting in the van over winter ? or if your away from home.

nigel

NIGEL129 Hobby 495 Ufe (2003)

Powrtouch HD BP GAS Lite User Toyota Surf 2. 4 Tug,

Yes there was none left at our Aldi Saturday. Still lots of fire blankets and smoke alarms left.

We need 2 for complete coverage. The 'van - we use the 'van during the winter and that's when we use the gas appliances more. Home needs one as our grown-up son is at home when we are away in the 'van.

I noticed the recommended 5 mts from any appliance and so I thought I would try it unmounted when we go away at the end of October and see if it's okay. I hope that our gas appliances are not giving out enough carbon monoxide to set it off even in the limited space in the 'van.

Tim

Yes there was none left at our Aldi Saturday. Still lots of fire blankets and smoke alarms left.

We need 2 for complete coverage. The 'van - we use the 'van during the winter and that's when we use the gas appliances more. Home needs one as our grown-up son is at home when we are away in the 'van.

I noticed the recommended 5 mts from any appliance and so I thought I would try it unmounted when we go away at the end of October and see if it's okay. I hope that our gas appliances are not giving out enough carbon monoxide to set it off even in the limited space in the 'van.

Tim

Hell,i wouldnt let our 22yr at home in the first place, i even take the plug off the chip pan if we go out for the day ;):lol:

Out of curiosity, how would you test this thing, with out smoke detectors (home and van) i just dangle a ciggy under it, (although the home mains smoke detector even goes off if you shower and leave the bathroom door open)

nigel

NIGEL129 Hobby 495 Ufe (2003)

Powrtouch HD BP GAS Lite User Toyota Surf 2. 4 Tug,

Hell,i wouldnt let our 22yr at home in the first place, i even take the plug off the chip pan if we go out for the day ;):lol:

Out of curiosity, how would you test this thing, with out smoke detectors (home and van) i just dangle a ciggy under it, (although the home mains smoke detector even goes off if you shower and leave the bathroom door open)

nigel

Our son- unfortunately shows no sign of moving out - he knows when he's on to a good thing!!! LOL

CO detector test - I s'pose you could hold it near the car exhaust pipe when the engine's running!!

Tim

I was there early on thursday and they only had two left, so luck i was early. However on reading the instruction, they recommend a distance of 5mts away from any appliance, so ill have to mount mine on the hitch. :lol:

BTW only bought one, for van and home, whats the point of it sitting in the van over winter ? or if your away from home.

nigel

Mine is mounted about 2m from the cooker on the opposite wall and to the front of the van, we do not get any false indications. Yes it is working as we got a low level alarm from our fridge - it needed better sealing around its "box", this was done by the dealer under warrenty.

We bought ours on offer at Asda for £10 about a year ago.

We renewed our Kidde CO alarm with one from Asda. I would be reluctant to sleep in the van without one when running the fridge on gas.

Dave

reading the post on here i wouldnt advise putting the carbon monoxide tester on the table surely it would be too low as co is lighter thatn air and would be detectable high up in the room be a lot of it by the time it reached the table http://www. answers. com/main/ntquery?s=carbon%20monoxide&gwp=16 see here, martin

reading the post on here i wouldnt advise putting the carbon monoxide tester on the table surely it would be too low as co is lighter thatn air and would be detectable high up in the room be a lot of it by the time it reached the table http://www. answers. c. ..monoxide&gwp=16 see here, martin

good piece of advice thanks for that Martin