Mirrors

mr umpa

hi just bought a new set of towing mirrors one is convex and one flat could someone please help which goes on what side of car. thanks.

flat normally goes on driver side and convex on passengers, but i suppose its up to you and your preferences

I would say it very much depends on what mirrors you have on your car. Mine are convex so I now have towing mirrors to match. You can check this by putting a straight edge against the glass. Originally purchased flat but did not like them as they gave a different perspective to the car mirrors.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

I would use the flat mirror on the passenger side and the convex on the drivers side as the convex glass is designed to reduce the blind spot of the mirror and that is not normally a problem for the passenger side mirror.

Guest SimplySimon

As an HGV driver I would put the Convex mirror on the near side as you have least visibility on that side of the vehicle.

This would make it slightly easier to blind side reverse as well :)

I would use the flat mirror on the passenger side and the convex on the drivers side as the convex glass is designed to reduce the blind spot of the mirror and that is not normally a problem for the passenger side mirror.

Your car mirror covers the blind spot and the towing mirror is for seeing down the side of the van.

I put the convex mirror on the near side so I get a better view of idiots coming down slip roads. It also helps when reversing into pitches.

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

After trying various combinations of flat and convex mirrors, I elected to go for having both mirrors flat when I bought my Grand Aeros a few years ago. With one flat and one convex, it is sometimes difficult to instantly and accurately ascertain the exact position of any following vehicles, due to the different distance perspective of the two mirrors.

Both of my normal car mirrors are flat, with the outer 20% or so being convex, so I get the same 'distance perspective' view in both the normal mirrors and the towing mirrors. In order to give me the widest possible angle of view, when towing I adjust the car mirrors outward, so that their sector of view just slightly overlaps that of the towing mirrors.

That's my preferred set-up, but the real answer to the OP's question is to do what is safest and best for him.

Regards,

David