Uk Or France

dadof2

UK OR France

Summer holidays with 3 childern 4,6,16. Been to France the last five summers. Had some graet times.

The boys play in the park in sun shine,ride their bikes,we all play in pool, including old dad at 52. lots of fun had by all,

But do me give UK chance

No, not for the main holiday you cannot guarantee the weather. but there is nothing stopping you going away in the UK at half term or Easter or whenever

Tony G

Kia Sorrento 2. 5 CDi 59 plate Towing 2011 Swift Conqueror 645

Try going halfway to France. Jersey is great. Not many campsites but all look to be very good. We have been to Rozel the last three years and will probably go again next year. The only down side is the cost of the ferry. The max speed on the Island is 40mph even on the dual carriageway . The cost of fuel is about 20p a litre cheaper than on the mainland

If the eldest is 16 this year then he/she will be 17 next and I doubt will wish to join you, unless you really fancy 2 weeks of groaning and moaning. That leaves 2 'young uns' to consider and i would state that unless you have a big wallet then go abroad. It is expensive to get there but if you can spend a lot of time just mucking about in the sun, then you will save money. Entertaining in a wet weekend in the UK will cost a fortune even before you hit the cafe, not counting the parking fees that will appear everywhere. Although I expect many to disagree the UK is fine if you are just a couple and can avoid high season and maybe seek out the cheaper CL type sites. Anything else and the bucks start to drain away fast. Try Spain as it is 30% cheaper than France, which I fully agree has become very pricey. Bluntly it may be economic to consider a package deal and just accept the hassle of the airports. Once the kids have flown the coop then maybe you can meander yourselves.

We've always holidayed in this country with the van since we started when our youngest was 4 months old. There is so much to see and do in this country, our heritage and exploring the UK. Our children know loads about their own country as we have travelled the length and breadth of it. However, these last few years have been tougher as the weather has not been kind. We cycle a lot, go out into forests, beaches and loads of castles and things but if the weather is rubbish it can spoil things. We have almost always stayed on CL's as this is much cheaper and if you use the van as a base, then you don't need loads of facilities. The money we've saved pays for the entry fees/spending money for everything else. UK can be done cheaply - it's only the weather which lets it down.

We are now the other way. We've been persuaded to try France next year and our 16 (17 next summer) son still wants to come to experience France. As he's now at college rather than school we can pick a slightly cheaper time, but suspect that this holiday is going to be much more expensive than any we've ever been on (excepting Australia in 2009 - obviously without the van!!!)

Why not ask the children what they would prefer - you may be surprised :D

I am still amazed that my son's friends know nothing or just very little about their own country but have travelled extensively abroad.

I am still amazed that my son's friends know nothing or just very little about their own country but have travelled extensively abroad.

but your sons friends will know much more about other countries and experienced travel - is that good?

Hi

I would think where you want to see in the UK. The weather would not bother us in the slightest, in fact, for a couple of weeks of our long trip to Italy, we were rained on daily. My point being if there are things to do, it matters not what Fred the westherman does!

I am still hoping for a longish trip around Scotland.

However, ask yourself too if the weather is horrendous, what would the kids do all day?

I have a silly sort of logic. If I go overseas, I expect nice weather - so it is easy to be disappointed, especially in Italy. In the UK, we expect poor weather and so a day like yesteday is a bonus.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

These days we have the benefit of retirement on our side so we are unlimited by any calender ties. We took the three oldest of out Grandchildren for a week away in the caravan during their summer break, We were well aware that it would cost us far more than our usual trips abroad but England being what it is these days we turned a blind eye to the cost as it was for only a week, But never again, Next time they all come it will be to France, It is in reality the principal of the cost that staggers me. Previous to this trip we had just returned from a month in Brittany, Thirteen Euros per night all in for a campsite with direct access to the beach, We were never once charged for parking (even in the large towns). On the site that we were at in the UK they had an indoor as well as an outdoor pool that came within the price of the camping, Except that is that on the days that it rained there was an hourly charge for the indoor pool. Paying a fair price for a holiday I am not against but being fleeced on all fronts is not for me, So France we are all back next year.

Do agree with you TonyG. Done Haven site, cl,holiday rallies etc, at half term and weekends.

Would love to try Spain David but only have two weeks holiday in summer, new boss.

France works out well this way for us.

Day 1. Cumbria to tunnel, north france.

Day 2. full day travelling. to main campsite. In the past 2 days travelling to the south, old boss.

then back, this time 2 nights in northern France.

Tunnel back in morning and drive home.

Without any disrespect for 2 weeks, just take a package. Usethe van for weekends. The costs will be not so far apart once you add up everything and you will have the full 2 weeks at the destination, not having to lose even a few days travelling. Plus Northern France can be as wet as here. It is also very expensive. We used to visit St Valerie a lot but no more. Cannot afford it. €7. 50 for just 2 small coffees. To me the difference is worth the peace of having to decide whether you will have a 2nd cold beer, or not, or just meander along the beach for an icecream, instead of hacking the M25. Holidays are for relaxing I usually feel. However, if you and family do not like beaches then probably not a good idea.

To explain my reasoning a bit more. The 5 and 7 year old (next year) will be very happy playing on a beach every day, all day digging a hole to Australia. The only entertainment will be the odd pedallo, of which Dad is the most enthusiastic user. A sandwich at lunchtime, and after dinner they will be so tired they will be off to bed at a reasonable time. This may allow you time for a romantic drink in the bar before clonking out yourselves.

As for the 17 year old, forget it. If you can persuade/cajole/order/demand their attendance you will be faced with 2 weeks of misery. If a boy then he will be mooching around all day probably playing a games console 24 hours a day, as it is his only pleasure. He will eat you out of house and home and cost a fortune in either beers or soft drinks. Buy large family bottles. If a girl, even worse. All teenage girls are transported to a far away planet where they hate everyone and everything especially parents who NEVER understand them. She will text or telephone her friends all the time telling them how miserable a time she is having and she will tantrum as to why you refuse to allow her to visit the local nightclub. After all everyone else will be there, even though she knows no one. She may be persuaded to babysit her siblings to allow you out for a while but will be unwilling to join you on any trips and feels eating at your table is a ‘pain’. After all, you are PARENTS!!!!

How do I know this? Because I had 2 teenagers of both sexes and went through all this. Of course at the tender age of 33 my daughter told us that ‘that holiday’ had not been actually so bad. I do not know who was going to hit her first, me or the wife. Now she had just returned from a holiday in the Med with her husband’s children and has informed us ‘never again’ She married him so now she knows.

If you can arrange it, get the 17 year old a summer job and leave them in the tender care of a relative. You will of course have to probably provide 14 take away meals in the freezer and some beers, but at least you will get a holiday, unless you wonder every day if your house has been burned down, or not??????????