Towing Mirrors

Mickey F

A recent tv show about caravaning stated that police had stopped a number of caravaners for not having towing mirrors. Is it mandatory to have two towing mirrors even if you are only towing a small caravan with a large car and can see perfectly well behind?

Yes you do need them below is copied from the direct gov site

Fit towing mirrors if you need them

If your caravan or trailer is wider than the rear of the towing vehicle, you must by law fit suitable towing mirrors. These mirrors are usually 'E-marked' (mirrors with this mark meet EU requirements).

If you're towing blind (without towing mirrors) or using unsuitable mirrors, you can be:

• prosecuted by the police
  • given three points on your licence
  • fined up to £1,000

Link to the site

Dave

Edited by dave11a

Small trailers inside the width of the tow vehicle dont need mirrors but due to the width of a caravan you cannot see down the side correctly for a caravan . Even my tow vehicle with 7ft 6 over the mirrors towing a 7ft 6 caravan does not give a full view .

Dave

I'm sure I read that it was nothing to do with width of the towed vehicle but adequate rearwards vision down the side and was measured 20 something metres behind the van and 4 or so metres out and if you could see that without mirrors you are legal ?....