Buying A Caravan From The Nec Show

jon194

Hi

We are going to the October NEC show with the intention of buying a new caravan from our choice of three – and as I always want to get a good deal I want to go forearmed with info from someone who has done the same. My basic questions are:

· Is the show the place to get a good deal, and how much off the quoted prices am I going to get the manufacturers to budge?

· How do trade-in’s work when you buy from a manufacturer? We will want to trade in our 6 year old van and are the manufacturers (who aren’t dealers) willing to do this?

· What are general experiences of trade in values given without the van being seen?

I have an irrational distrust of salesmen, so any help gratefully received.

Thanks

Jon

Hi Jon,

First: There are usually some good deals to be had on caravan sales at the shows, but beware, there may be a reason why "they" want you to but "that" particular caravan. Maybe a replacement model due out soon - ask them. The best deals are often to be had at the end of the show, when some dealers will buy the actual caravan on the stand to sell on, so you may get a new caravan at a second hand price. I have done this in the past, and a couple of minor faults was a small price to pay for the huge discount in price.

Second: While ther stands are supplied by the manufacturers, the actual sales are usually through dealers, so it is the dealer who would take your part-ex caravan. Generally any offer they make for your caravan would be subject to an inspection, damp test etc. Be aware of the dealer's location in the country, as you will probably have to collect the caravan from them, and deliver it back for servicing or repairs.

Third: Having bought caravans at the shows, my experience generally has been good, but make sure you get everything agreed in writing before the hand shake! If you need finance, this too can be arranged at the show, however you may get a better rate if you arrange a deal prior to visiting the show, on the other hand you may not but do check first what is available.

I understand your distrust, but providing you ask the important questions, and ensure a written agreement, you should be alright.

Finally if you make the right deal for you, enjoy your new 'van. ..

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Hi Jon,

Just to put you straight, although the manufacturers put up the stand and supply all of the 'vans at the show the people actually selling caravans there are from various dealers around the country so part exchanging works in exactly the same way as buying from any dealer because that is what you are doing.

Hope this clears things up for you.

Regards,

Ian (a distrusted salesman) :D

We played 3 dealers against each other at last years show and it worked a treat. We traded in a 30month old Bailey Pageant Limousin in against the Delta and all I can say is the trade in price was excellent, would never have got the money at any local dealers. We were looking at Unicorns, Crusaders, and Bucanneers and we got the best deal on the Lunar, we are more than impressed with the build quality.

Would love to know what the profit margin is on new caravans, because my Pageant got sold for less than they paid me for the trade in, so profit on a new vans must be high.

:)

Hi

I will be at the NEC. I know whay my van is and I know what I want. I will flit about from dealer to dealer if needed!

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

when you find the caravan of your choice you will find there a sales people from every dealer iin the country, its very much dod eat dog but be strong and try and get the sales person from your local dealer as this will be a god send if you have any warrenty problems in the future.

no mater what any body says if your local dealer didnt sell you the caravan they dont have to carry out any warrenty work.

good luck

When I last changed my 'van four years ago I knew what I wanted and went to the Abbey stand. I negotiated, what I considered to be, a very good deal, trade-in included but that was from a dealer that wasn't local.

I told him, as it was a lot of money to spend, we needed an hour to talk it through and think it over.

I then went to the stand of a local dealer and told him if he could match the offer I'd buy it off him there and then. He moaned a bit, but eventually agreed.

Also another point to think about is buying a van at this time of year will mean you will have to have it serviced also at this time of year. We bought a van once at the lawns show (glossop caravans) and picked it up in december. This meant we had to have our services done in the winter months - not ideal. Luckily we managed to have our services done at another dealer which we found a little easier to travel to, but as already said not all other dealers will take on servicing of a van if you haven't bought from them so sometimes this will mean travelling to the dealer you bought from.

Also another point to think about is buying a van at this time of year will mean you will have to have it serviced also at this time of year. We bought a van once at the lawns show (glossop caravans) and picked it up in december. This meant we had to have our services done in the winter months - not ideal. Luckily we managed to have our services done at another dealer which we found a little easier to travel to, but as already said not all other dealers will take on servicing of a van if you haven't bought from them so sometimes this will mean travelling to the dealer you bought from.

You dont need to collect the van now. .. we bought at the february show 5 years ago. ... we collected just before easter. .That was ideal for us, but you can tell them when you want to collect if this is an issue.

On another note. .. Buying at the show. ... this is a risk buying at this show. .. it is when the new vans are launched. .. they know people will want the latest vans. ... But if you can wait until the February show many of the sales for the latest vans will have slowed. .. We did some window shopping at the October/November show. . But bought at the February show and did so on the last day at about 5pm. ...IF the show was a slow one and sales were not great. .. They will usually do a bit more to get that one last sale and you could get the best bargain by being patient. ..

As said before go off and find a deal with ANY dealer regardless of location. . Then find your local dealer with the best offer you have been given. . Get the offers written on the sales reps business card JUST to have proof of the offer. . They will do that. Use any information you can to get the best deal possible. There are currently some good deals now at the dealers so you may want to make note of these deals too. We were going to get a van at the show. .. But to be honest the deal we got a few weeks ago was madness to turn down. ... But I was already getting as much info together as possible just in case we did need to buy from the show.

Archived