Towbar Electrics On Hyundai Santafe

JanandTony

Hi Everyone,

Took delivery of new Santa Fe on 1st September and had a towbar fitted with 13 pin electrics,

Since the towbar has been fitted, the cruise control has ceased to work - not even the CC symbol on the dash lights up. The CC did work before the towbar was fitted. There doesn't seem to be any other problems.

I've taken the car back the towbar fitters who have checked and can see nothing wrong with the work they have done. I've taken it to the Hyundai dealers who had a quick look, checked no fuses on the car had gone and then said that further investigation would entail removing all the towbar associated electrics and then go from there - at £83 per hour - ouch !

Towbar fitters are being very helpful and have agreed to have another look. They are a reputable firm who have previously fitted about 7 or 8 towbars for me over the past 30 years.

Does anyone on the forum have experience of fitting towbars to the 2011 Santa Fe. The towbar that I had fitted is the Westfalia detachable. Really pleased with the towbar - shame about the effect on the CC !

Any information/pointers that I can pass on to them would be most welcome.

TonyK

The make or type of towbar will have no effect on the Cruise control not working . When ever I buy a new car I get the dealership to fit a towbar and electrics for this reason . when a third party fits a tow bar it leads to being pushed from one to the other .

I think you will need to get the car repaired by the main dealer and any damage that the towbar fitters have caused you will need to claim back off of them as damage to a cars other computerised systems can run to £1000 bills . I would ask the dealership to write a report on what they find for legal reasons . If You let the towbar fitters carry on trying to fix it they could make it worse and trying get the dealership to accept it under warranty .

I have been there once myself and now I get the dealer to fit the towbar knowing they will sub it out to a towbar centre but I then can take it back and tell dealer to fix it with no quibbles.

Dave

Hi Everyone,

Took delivery of new Santa Fe on 1st September and had a towbar fitted with 13 pin electrics,

Since the towbar has been fitted, the cruise control has ceased to work - not even the CC symbol on the dash lights up. The CC did work before the towbar was fitted. There doesn't seem to be any other problems.

I've taken the car back the towbar fitters who have checked and can see nothing wrong with the work they have done. I've taken it to the Hyundai dealers who had a quick look, checked no fuses on the car had gone and then said that further investigation would entail removing all the towbar associated electrics and then go from there - at £83 per hour - ouch !

Towbar fitters are being very helpful and have agreed to have another look. They are a reputable firm who have previously fitted about 7 or 8 towbars for me over the past 30 years.

Does anyone on the forum have experience of fitting towbars to the 2011 Santa Fe. The towbar that I had fitted is the Westfalia detachable. Really pleased with the towbar - shame about the effect on the CC !

Any information/pointers that I can pass on to them would be most welcome.

TonyK

How can you say the tow bar wiring is the problem?

Things can break at anytime.

Have you had a car specific harness fitted?

If not you risk damage to the ECU, which cost thousands to replace, i know the specific harness is expensive for what it is, but prevents possible damage to the cars system.

There is a thread on this exact topic on the Hyundai Owners Club forum (http://www. hyundaiownersclub. co. uk/forum/viewtopic. php?id=4255 ) - or are you the same person who started that thread? ;)

EDIT: actually, looks like you are. .. ;-)

Edited by nelmo

makes me laugh when people say 'i pay extra for the dealer to fit the towbar' half the time the dealer will get someone else in to do the towbar,

do you know if it is a dedicated kit/harness that has been fitted if a dedicated kit hasnt been fitted can you see signs of extra relays behind some of the panels