Swift Launch 10 Year Water Ingress Warranty For 2012

cathedralcity

Hi All

Just been reading the news section of Swift's website.

It seems today, that the Company have launched a 10 year water ingress warranty for all of their 2012 model range caravans and motorhomes.

It appears that the only condition on the new warranty is that the 'van must be serviced every year within that 10 years by the Dealer or approved Swift workshop.

As I've ordered a 2012 Challenger Sport Fairway 554 today for delivery in March/April 2012 I'm delighted to say the least! It was the one thing that the Baileys had over the Swifts in my opinion and it's now been rectified.

cathedralcity

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first signs of panic from swift, just as well that most owners don't keep there caravan that long.

Is it transferable?

The first signs of panic from swift, just as well that most owners don't keep there caravan that long.

Is it transferable?

Panic? I don't think so at all. More like confidence in it's product, which is conventionaly built. Wonder if other 'conventional' manufactuers will follow Swift's lead? If so, then it's Bailey that should be worried in my opinion!

If the new Swift 10 year warranty follows the current 6 year water ingress warranty, then yes, it will be transferable.

So swift have responded this year with upping the spec to more or less match the Bailey range, they have knocked a few kgs off and now have matched the warranty. Have they altered the construction in some way to enable this improvement and, of so how, is a question I would like answered. It will be interesting to see what answers we get. If they haven't altered the construction, then it is what has already been said a panic measure. Indeed if they haven't, why is my Challenger purchased in 2011 not eligible for the new warranty.

It remains to be seen if this will increase their sales enough to re employ the staff let go recently. I hope for their sake it is. Certainly their sales since the introduction of Alu-Tech have suffered badly hence the staff lay off.

Will it match the overall strength and engineering of an Alu-Tech construction, indeed is Alu-tech as good as I and many others think it is, is a question that will not be answered for many years to come.

I do wonder if Swift would have gone down this route without the shove from Bailey. I'd put next months pension on the answer being no. From memory (which is not that good these days) It was Bailey that forced the change from 1 to 3 years then onto 5/6 years now 10 years. All of which has been good for the consumer. What, if anything, will be Baileys response will be another interesting question.

Edited by Alan Stanley

A 10 year body integrity warranty is great news - it levels out the playing field again. I have no loyalty to any manufacturer - they all make occasional bad caravans. However, the 10 year warranty offered by Bailey meant it was a more obvious choice for my hard earned cash, and I'm sure that most people who have previously gone through the heartache of damp in a caravan they intended to keep for a number of years have some sympathy with my view on that.

The other manufacturers will have to respond which will be fantastic, whether it's a 'panic' move or not. We, the customers, will benefit and that can only be good. It doesn't really matter if there has been a major change in construction, but it will certainly focus the manufacturers mind on quality. The reality is that all caravans have seams ( even Alu-Tech & Paul construction caravans) and can leak, but it doesnt matter so long as we do not have to worry or loose out financially if they do for the next decade.

So I shall now view 2 manufacturers of caravans at the NEC to upgrade my caravan - Swift & Bailey. Hopefully by then the others will have responded too.

Hi

Off topic, but I have just seen the 2012 Kontiki motorhome range online - need to get to the bank I think. I am glad I waited and did not rush to purchase anything in the summer.

Russell

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

All they need to do now is sort out the rest of the build quality which quite frankly is dire. We are on our second Swift van and there is rarely a holiday or weekend that goes by without something falling off, breaking or generally stops working. The first van was even worse. Heaven knows why we were daft enough to buy another one. Our aim now is to get rid before the 3 year warranty expires.

Good point Vectra - how will they be answered at the NEC. If Lunar, Elddis and Coachman are asked 'will you be responding to the new industry standard for Integrity warranty? ' I wonder what they will say. If they say 'no way' then that's clear enough - but if they say they are looking at that option or it's under review, then you should wait and see before you order.

If there's a chance that I can choose my preferred layout/ model with a 10 year warranty then i'll hang on to my cash until I know for sure.

All they need to do now is sort out the rest of the build quality which quite frankly is dire. We are on our second Swift van and there is rarely a holiday or weekend that goes by without something falling off, breaking or generally stops working. The first van was even worse. Heaven knows why we were daft enough to buy another one. Our aim now is to get rid before the 3 year warranty expires.

This will be my 7th Swift and fourth in a row. Can't agree on your thoughts on build quality in the Swifts at all, I'm afraid. I've had 'vans from 1990, 1996, 2000, 2008, 2009 and 2011 thus far and all have been perfect.

Contrast that with the Coachman 'vans and Baileys I've also had, which have had numerous problems coupled with inadequate back up from the makers.

Picking up our new Challenger Sport 440/2 on Wednesday. Hope it's as good as our Coachman and the Bailey we had before that.

Mmmm.

Great news and yes a leveller in my opinion.

Now. Lunar?

Dare they and how will questions on water ingress warranty be received and answered at the forthcoming show?

Regards

vectra

:)

Hi Vectra

Very good point you make there! I'd like to ask the question on the Coachman stand, personally - I had one that was damp within the year and another one (yes, foolish me!) damp ON DELIVERY, along with a 75 point list of other faults!! That was 'swiftly' rejected, I hasten to add! Still waiting for their Mr. Baxter to respond to the letter I sent him by registered post in February 2009. ..... :(

I read on another website that some wondered if Swift was in trouble? Is this why the copying of Bailey's warranty? I'm also sure I read elsewhere that alu-tech has leaked (though I may be wrong but I could swear i read this a few times a year ago?..) Are swift charging for the extra 4 years like I think Bailey do? Who keeps a van for anything like this long, most people I chat to when in my deckchair on campsites seem to change every 1-3 years? We're of the change every 3 years types ourselves.

This will be my 7th Swift and fourth in a row. Can't agree on your thoughts on build quality in the Swifts at all, I'm afraid. I've had 'vans from 1990, 1996, 2000, 2008, 2009 and 2011 thus far and all have been perfect.

Contrast that with the Coachman 'vans and Baileys I've also had, which have had numerous problems coupled with inadequate back up from the makers.

I have to say our first van was a brand new swift based dealer special. The only problem we had was with the electric toilet button which would be intermittent from not working or sticking. . But was an easy fix and only did it if we left the van for a over a month or two. But nothing fell off or broke. .. Loved it and only swapped to the new Alu Tech Bailey becuase we wanted a fixed bed and the deal we too good to turn down. ... But I think Swift need to match Bailey to compete. .... But lets hope they will be water tight over 10 years if they have not changed construction. .. But IF swift went bust it would be moot anyway. ... So it could be a calculated risk to sell more and not go under.

Edited by morepower

I read on another website that some wondered if Swift was in trouble? Is this why the copying of Bailey's warranty? I'm also sure I read elsewhere that alu-tech has leaked (though I may be wrong but I could swear i read this a few times a year ago?..) Are swift charging for the extra 4 years like I think Bailey do? Who keeps a van for anything like this long, most people I chat to when in my deckchair on campsites seem to change every 1-3 years? We're of the change every 3 years types ourselves.

Bailey do not charge anything for the 10 year warranty this is an urban myth. The thread 'Alu-tech body shell any leaks yet' has thrown up a total of only three or four possible damp issues in 17,000+ viewings to date. Multiple posts by the same person do not amount to multiple problems but can mislead.

We keep our vans for many years but in any event the existence of an intact warranty is obviously important to 2nd hand buyers probably more so in many cases. I can't imagine that swift would have responded to Bailey with this potentially expensive move unless they were forced into it.

Whether many owners keep the service book stamped up to keep it in force, for either maker, is an altogether different question.

Edited by Alan Stanley

It has now been confirmed by Swift Group that their new for 2012 10 year water ingress warranty is backed by the Company for the whole 10 year period, unlike Bailey, where I understand that the first six years are backed by the maker and the following four by an insurance company.

Personally, I'd rather deal with the maker for the whole 10 years regarding a warranty issue, having had some recent experiences of trying to get a claim through on a pet insurance case!

Edited by cathedralcity

It has now been confirmed by Swift Group that their new for 2012 10 year water ingress warranty is backed by the Company for the whole 10 year period, unlike Bailey, where I understand that the first six years are backed by the maker and the following four by an insurance company.

Personally, I'd rather deal with the maker for the whole 10 years regarding a warranty issue, having had some recent experiences of trying to get a claim through on a pet insurance case!

Interesting point you make.

It could always be that Swift can't find an underwriter to take the risk on at a reasonable premium !

Bill

It could always be that Swift can't find an underwriter to take the risk on at a reasonable premium !

Bill

We'll never know for sure which way that cookie crumbles.

When I spoke to a bailey rep before purchase it was explained as, "People are used to extended warranties being under written and are comfortable with that. This is such a ground breaking design change that we don't want people being concerned about the long term viability of it. We had to address those who said but what happens if you go bust or get taken over, then my warranty is useless. (A la Avondale)

By placing it with an independent underwriters we hope to remove that concern. We are totally confident that we have the structural aspect of the Alu-Tech system right. The ten years is not a marketing ploy. We are so sure that we expect all our range to go the Alu-tech way."

Bill

Hi Bill

I suppose it could be! However, Swift seem to have the confidence to offer their manufacturer backed 10 year warranty on their own 'vans, so seem to have faith in them.

Likewise, I'm certain they would never be able to withdraw from offering this warranty in future years, as that would surely affect their market share and raise very serious questions from both new and exsisting customers.

I'm sure they have done their research at Cottingham and feel that they can offer this new warranty with confidence.

cathedralcity

In the last few years,the main problem has been cracking of the ABS front & rear panels which has caused Dampness in several marque's

Baileys response was to develop the Alutec system & a 10 year warranty.

I have read posts on a couple of forums stating that the warranty on their new caravan has not covered cracking of ABS panels as the manufacturer's warranty has been craftily reworded, apparently seeming to cover water ingress via panels & seams,but not the actual cracking of the ABS panel. I wonder if Swifts new warranty is a similar craftily worded document????

In the last few years,the main problem has been cracking of the ABS front & rear panels which has caused Dampness in several marque's

Baileys response was to develop the Alutec system & a 10 year warranty.

I have read posts on a couple of forums stating that the warranty on their new caravan has not covered cracking of ABS panels as the manufacturer's warranty has been craftily reworded, apparently seeming to cover water ingress via panels & seams,but not the actual cracking of the ABS panel. I wonder if Swifts new warranty is a similar craftily worded document????

following all this with interest especially any get out of jail cards by the manufacturers :( still neyeing up a sport 586 im off to the NEC for a butchers :)

Edited by Doinmebest

Bailey do not charge anything for the 10 year warranty this is an urban myth. The thread 'Alu-tech body shell any leaks yet' has thrown up a total of only three or four possible damp issues in 17,000+ viewings to date. Multiple posts by the same person do not amount to multiple problems but can mislead.

We keep our vans for many years but in any event the existence of an intact warranty is obviously important to 2nd hand buyers probably more so in many cases. I can't imagine that swift would have responded to Bailey with this potentially expensive move unless they were forced into it.

Whether many owners keep the service book stamped up to keep it in force, for either maker, is an altogether different question.

Originally Baileys were to give a 6 yr warranty and the extra 4yrs charged at a fee but at the moment they are giving the extra four yrs free but Baileys will be monitoring the offer .

I think the Bailey Alu tech sales is effecting the competitors sales and Swift are trying to fight back . If they have made no development in design I would say its a panic move . IMO with caravans starting to developing problems at 6+ yrs with seals going and damp in conventional built caravans it could be a expensive mistake offering 10 yr warranty .

Dave

Originally Baileys were to give a 6 yr warranty and the extra 4yrs charged at a fee but at the moment they are giving the extra four yrs free but Baileys said they will be monitoring the offer .

I think the Bailey Alu tech sales is effecting the competitors sales and Swift are trying to fight back . If they have made no development in design I would say its a panic move . IMO with caravans starting to developing problems at 6+ yrs with seals going and damp in conventional built caravans it could be a expensive mistake offering 10 yr warranty .

Dave

10 years eh?

So at around £200 for an annual service it'll cost £2,000 to maintain the warranty. That's assuming you meet the criteria (must be serviced within "x" weeks of the anniversery date).

It'd be much more tempting if they get the servicing costs down to half price.

Scales

Went to view a few of the 2012 caravans today - Swift, Bailey & Lunar. I have been tempted by the Bailey as the Alu-Tech is a significant step forward ( I realise they also polarise opinion!), but I couldn't help notice the impressive construction of the Swifts. The overlapping edge of the bonded roof and semi recessed awning rail / no evidence of a screw in sight. So just maybe they are trying to catch up. No such potential advance to be seen on the Lunars - which is a shame as I loved the interiors and weights.

Maybe Swift are confident enough to extend the warranty to 10 years for a reason - I realise it's in response to Bailey but the new build might make it commercially viable. Only time will tell, but they are back on my list of manufacturers who deserve my cash.

From the Bailey site:-

10 Year Bodyshell Integrity Guarantee

The Bailey Alu-Tech caravan is covered by a ten (10) year Bodyshell Integrity Guarantee, which comprises of a six (6) year standard warranty cover and a four (4) year chargeable extension to the standard warranty cover. This cover extends to any structural degradation to the bodyshell that arises as a result of water ingress through any permanently sealed seams or joints.

I think they charge for the last four years now.

Ian