Let There Be Light

murphyboy

Hi all

I have recently bought a 2003 LMC 520 HTE, in the lounge area the large ceiling light works and the bedroom spot lights work but theirs 2 little down lighters under the cupboards

above the front window that won't come on, plus another 2 small down lighters in the end washroom above the sink that won't come on and the small lights above the door ( external courtesy lights ). The lights that are not working have their own separate switches apart from the external lights above the door which are operated by remote on the key fob. It's really irritating not been able to work out why they won't come on.

Is their anyone out there who could shed some light on this. ( Parden the pun).

Is it possible that the lights that work are on 240volt and the rest are on 12volt?

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

Hi,

Have you checked the fuse board for a blown fuse ?

david 1220

Hi

The fuse box only has 2 switches and one trip switch, there is a black box near the fuse box that has a glass fuse screwed into the side i am not sure what that is for, i did take it out to have a look at it, the wire element in it appears to be intact, maybe worth replacing it though.

Can you find any 12 volt item that is working and can you confirm the lights that work are 240 volt.

What is the battery reading. Does the radio work? Are you connected to Electric Hook Up?

Hi

When i bought the caravan i asked how do i charge the battery and was told it will charge automatically if on hook up, i am now beginning to think that is not the case as i have had the hook up lead connected to the caravan since i bought it 2 months ago, and after checking the battery this afternoon i believe the battery might be flat, so i have just bought a battery maintenance charger and started charging it, in answer to your question Lefthand Down, on hook up all 240 volt lights work and they are def 240 v, but i am pinning my hopes on the battery scenario just hope flat battery is the cause, will keep you posted.

Edited by murphyboy

Hi

Are you saying when hooked to 240v it does or should charge the battery if so what does the caravan battery charger look like. By the way if i haven't mentioned it's a german caravan.

Edited by murphyboy

Lord Munsterland Caravan?

Yes it should charge on EHU (hook up) provided the charger is switched on and working.

There may be an inline fuse or charger fuse between the charger and the battery. Check the battery leads back to find the charger?

Hallelujah i've seen the light,

At last sussed why the 12v lights plus water pump were not working, and would you believe it, a little glass fuse was the reason, a black box near the fuse box which I mentioned earlier in this thread which I now believe to be a zig power unit transformer / battery charger ?

Still not sure if it charges the battery as well as the caravan does not have a battery status indicator

so for now will leave maintenance charger connected to the battery, any way back to that pesky little fuse, i did put a new fuse into the fuse older in the side of the zig a week ago but through sheer frustration today tried another fuse out of the packet and bingo, can only assume first fuse was faulty.

Now a happy chappie, and would like to thank everyone that took an interest in this thread and offered their advise.

Regards

Trevor

Edited by murphyboy

Buy a cheap Multimeter and use it to check the battery voltage.

If it is charging it will be about 13. 5 volts. Off charge and resting around 12. 6 volts.

Anything less than 12 volt shows charging needed.

Read the instructions and it will tell you how to check a fuse is good as well. :)

Edited by Lefthand Down

You may not need a status indicator with a multimeter.

I have had vans for years and not had one fitted until last year in latest van.

I have had a Multimeter for years. Saved a packet on electrical repairs. (low voltage that is)