It does not give any info on output etc

kot

pigs

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www. aldi. co. uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_20978. htm

£12. 99. ..........This portable Car Battery Charger is suitable for all 6V and 12V car and motorcycle batteries. LCD display

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

C-Tek is better in my opinion.

I would rather have a Rolls instead of a soap box cart and that applies to chargers too.

You gets what yer pay for . .............................................

I imagine that this charger is similar to the one sold by Lidl occasionally and if so it's very good value for money. The Lidl one does pretty much the same as a CTEC except that does not reset itself following a power cut and has to be restarted manually. We can't all afford a Rolls Royce but to compare these budget smart chargers to the equivalent of a 'soap box cart' is something of an exaggeration in my view. I have found the Lidl version performs very well and these Aldi ones will probably be just as good providing you don't mind having to reset the unit following a (unlikely) power cut.

John.

C-Tek is better in my opinion.

I would rather have a Rolls instead of a soap box cart and that applies to chargers too.

You gets what yer pay for . .............................................

I should hope it is better as it is getting on for three times the price. A lot extra to pay for effectively the same charger with the benefit that it will remember the charging mode if there happens to be a power cut!

I have 3 of the Lidl chargers and keep my car and 2 motorbikes on them and there great at keeping the batteries at full charge,as said they need to be reset if theres a power cut but at the price i paid versus the ctek i think i can live without that little feature.

Does the C-tek charger have a 3yr 'no quibble' warranty ?

Thought not !!

Aldi will do me just fine . . :wub: :wub:

C-Tek is only a trading name, the units are probably made in the same Chinese factory as the Aldi / Lidl ones any way . ..

Off topic . .. i bought a petrol hedge cutter a few weeks ago - £70 ( inc that 3yr warranty thing - again :) )

I could have hired a 'decent' Stihl one from the local tool hire place at £30 plus VAT each time i wanted to do a bit of trimming. ( lets saytwice a year!) or bought one for £400 plus and still only 12 month warranty. .

I like Aldi :wub: :wub:

The only aldi product i wouldn't buy again is the £5 drilling machine, it only lasted a couple of years of regular use.

Oh and the 5 year old 2ton jack trolley jack has started leaking oil, but still jacks the caravan up, disgusting really as it cost me £10!

Well, all I can say is that if you are happy with the Aldi charger - well - stick with it.

I hope that in the future no-one tells me that C-Tek make them . ............................... :wacko:

I tend to agree with wise owl BO. From what can be seen of the construction it is very low powered (thin wires to battery) and it looks as though it puts out not more than an amp or so. If that's all you need, that's fine; the Optimates (my personal favourites as they perform best are the Optimate/Accumate stable) only put out that much. However, that will really only be adequate for bike batteries. For leisure battery care you need something a bit beefier, and I am concerned that they don't give much (indeed, any!) details of output. Alarm bells should ring at something that claims to be suitable for all - that means there are compromises. Try by all means, but don't expect miracles.

. ..it looks as though it puts out not more than an amp or so. ..

How on earth do you tell by the look?

BTW the battery wires are fatter than my old traditional charger that's supposed to do 8 amps.

The blurb says it puts out 0. 8 amp in motorcycle mode and a perfectly satisfactory 3. 8 amp in other modes.

I've got 2. One keeps the van battery fresh while at home and the other keeps the bicycle and motorbike batteries on form.

Looks can be deceptive you know :P

I can't see any details, so you have an advantage there. The wires look painfully thin, and I would be astonished if it could sustain nearly 4A. Maximum and maximum sustained are very different things. However, you have them, I don't, you're happy - that's all good!

The real question is what is the actual spec difference between the cheap Aldi charger and the expensive CTEK charger.

CTEK publish the spec in some detail and the Aldi one doesn't.

Does anybody have a spec page in the manual or instruction sheet from their Aldi charger ?

How on earth do you tell by the look?

BTW the battery wires are fatter than my old traditional charger that's supposed to do 8 amps.

The blurb says it puts out 0. 8 amp in motorcycle mode and a perfectly satisfactory 3. 8 amp in other modes.

I've got 2. One keeps the van battery fresh while at home and the other keeps the bicycle and motorbike batteries on form.

Looks can be deceptive you know :P

You read the spec and it is the same as the C Tek MS3600. In fact I have down loaded the manual for the C Tek that is the same as the Aldi / Lidl and the manual is very much the same as well. To me it looks like they both come out of the same Chinese? factory with different stickers. I have been using mine on a 3 year old good battery and a 10 year old standby battery - turn about for swopping in the van in storage - and both are performing well.

The reset after disconnection I believe is to prevent attaching the cables to the battery with the cables live with the result of a posible spark.

The real question is what is the actual spec difference between the cheap Aldi charger and the expensive CTEK charger.

CTEK publish the spec in some detail and the Aldi one doesn't.

Does anybody have a spec page in the manual or instruction sheet from their Aldi charger ?

Yes I will dig it out tomorrow, but I think I also downloaded one from the internet (something that I do for anying I buy these days as it is easier to search a . pdf document).

In fact here it is if I can work out how to attach it.

edit Where did it go???

Edited by ChrisUK

That or the one sold by Aldi is a Chinese copy of the CTEK.

You read the spec and it is the same as the C Tek MS3600. In fact I have down loaded the manual for the C Tek that is the same as the Aldi / Lidl and the manual is very much the same as well. To me it looks like they both come out of the same Chinese? factory with different stickers. I have been using mine on a 3 year old good battery and a 10 year old standby battery - turn about for swopping in the van in storage - and both are performing well.

The reset after disconnection I believe is to prevent attaching the cables to the battery with the cables live with the result of a posible spark.

Reply options and then attach.

Yes I will dig it out tomorrow, but I think I also downloaded one from the internet (something that I do for anying I buy these days as it is easier to search a . pdf document).

In fact here it is if I can work out how to attach it.

edit Where did it go???

Lidl charger booklet spec attached - hopefully!

I'm doing something wrong, good night.

Edited by ChrisUK

I can't see any details, so you have an advantage there. The wires look painfully thin, and I would be astonished if it could sustain nearly 4A. Maximum and maximum sustained are very different things. However, you have them, I don't, you're happy - that's all good!

Take a look at a bit of 5Amp fuse wire! :)

John.

just to but my bit in, i have a ecosol 125 ah battery. 3 different chargers. Ring 16amp-Accumate 4amp-Ctek MXS7.

the Ring and Accumate both say the battery is fully charged, and according to the Ctek it says it's less than 80% and it was still charging

the following morning plus the Ctek is a 8 stage charger compared to the other 2 which is 3 stage.

the MXS7 comes with a 5 year guarantee and far as i know its manufactured in Sweden.

The Ctex as a higher voltage output of 15. 8v in recon mode as the Ring 16 is 14. 4v

Does the C-tek charger have a 3yr 'no quibble' warranty ?

Thought not !!

Aldi will do me just fine . . :wub: :wub:

C-Tek is only a trading name, the units are probably made in the same Chinese factory as the Aldi / Lidl ones any way . ..

Off topic . .. i bought a petrol hedge cutter a few weeks ago - £70 ( inc that 3yr warranty thing - again :) )

I could have hired a 'decent' Stihl one from the local tool hire place at £30 plus VAT each time i wanted to do a bit of trimming. ( lets saytwice a year!) or bought one for £400 plus and still only 12 month warranty. .

I like Aldi :wub: :wub:

totally agree. mine packed up,(well the mode button does not work) I bought it sept 2008, Aldi are sending me a refund!!

Pigsfly. many thanks for the heads up. I will be getting another one

This is a link to the Lidl one mine is 4 years old and shows the certificate of conformity which means its safe to use irrespective how thin the wires are

http://www. kompernass. com/pages/_pdfs/2d65416458600abac0338a69f9774531. pdf

ctek is designed in sweden manufactured in china.

Company Name: Ctek Company Address: Unit 1202, Millennium City 3, 370 Kwun Tong Road, Shenzhen, Guangdong, China City/Town: Shenzhen Province/State: Guangdong Country/Region: China