Damaged Handbrake

dorrie

I have a 10 month old Unicorn Valenicia. I've been out in it 4 times so far this year and everytime something has gone wrong or broken. It is back into the dealers for the second time this year for warantee work.

The latest incident was a few weeks ago when the handbrake failed as we uncoupled the caravan from the towing vehicle. It then proceeded to roll back down a gentle slope. Had it not been for quick action, and the help of the two CCC wardens who were nearby, we would have lost the 'van. I managed to get the motormover engaged whilst 4 people hung onto it.

It has gone into the dealer for this and other faults to be rectified, but we are being told that it is not a warantee fault and Bailey/Alko will not deal with it as such. Apparently we have bent a spring beneath the hitch attached to the handbrake cable whilst lifting the jockey wheel into its stored position.

As I don't have the caravan at the moment I cannot look myself at the damage we have alledgedly caused. I am also not technically competent to argue the point.

My previous Swift Challenger that I had for 7 years never had problems such as this, although I appreciate it may be different running mechanism.

Has anyone come across this before. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Who is telling you that you have bent a spring?

Unless you are built like King Kong and eat 10 weetabix for breakfast there is no way on earth that simply lifting the jockey wheel up could even put a dent in the spring, never mind bend it!!!!!

Edited by Brecon

the handbrake failed as we uncoupled the caravan from the towing vehicle. It then proceeded to roll back down a gentle slope.

But had the handbrake failed? All caravans will tend to roll backwards if the handbrake isn't fully on and if there is a slope for them to roll down. They will continue rolling until the reverse mechanism brings on the brake.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Its the Engineer at the main dealer who is doing the warrantee work on the caravan. He phoned, said he has taken photos of it and sent it to Bailey/Alko, and that has been the reply.

We can't see how its got bent either. Think a 'discussion' is due. We have already written to Bailey twice about other problems and had no reply to date.

Update on this. Apparently according to Alko it happens rarely and Bailey hadn't heard of it happening before. It is user error and is to do with the alignment of the jockey wheel when it is stowed away. Following discussions, Alko have kindly agreed to repair the damage under warrantee on this occasion as Dealer was going to charge some ridiculous amount to repair it. .... Alko had a word with them about it. Sorted!