Ford Mondeo -Which Auto?

stevebrookman

After a fruitless search for a large estate over the last few months I've been looking at the latest Mondeo diesel estate.

I've read about the dreadful "powershift" auto box-but did the Mondeo originally come with this or a conventional auto when the latest model was first released in 2008?

Prices for used models are very reasonable and I would prefer an automatic.

Cheers

Steve

Have you looked at Mercedes E Class diesels? I have had an automatic for towing since starting caravanning. I bought an estate 2004 at the end of last year with 193,000 on the clock. It had been very well looked after - the last owner was using it at 40,000 miles approx per annum for the previous three years. I have now taken it over 200,000 and will be taking it to the continent next month having driven it to Italy last May. The Mercedes is a good tower. If you have a good local garage then the servicing costs are not excessive.

Happy hunting!

After a fruitless search for a large estate over the last few months I've been looking at the latest Mondeo diesel estate.

I've read about the dreadful "powershift" auto box-but did the Mondeo originally come with this or a conventional auto when the latest model was first released in 2008?

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

I drive a Galaxy with the Powershift box and I can't think what is dreadfull about it and I am quite happy,

Regards,

Ian.

Cheers

Steve

The Mondeo 'Powershift' auto came out in late 2010, prior to that the auto box was a normal one (whatever that is ). The C02 on the Powershift is lower than the the previous model, VE duty is lower at £130pa, and the MPG is improved at 60. 1 on the stated "extra urban" cycle.

I ask what is your reasoning for calling the Powershift auto dreadful ? as the caravan test drives seem to give them good ratings and I was thinking of getting one when the second hand prices are a bit more sensible.

hello all, i take it power-shift is like the Mercedes "eps" (electronic power shift), or the Mitsubishi "amt" (automated manual transmission), it a manual gear box that the computer controls to change gear via some motors and hydraulics,

Morning all,

I've read about problems with the Powershift on a few Ford forums,

also this

http://www. touringandtenting. com/forums/index. php?/topic/41011-straight-automatic-car/page__hl__%22ford+mondeo%22__fromsearch__1

Cheers

Steve

Morning all,

I've read about problems with the Powershift on a few Ford forums,

also this

http://www. touringan. ..__fromsearch__1

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve, Very interesting reading, I feel an extended test drive coming on before I part with my hard earned ! :(

Not sure about the tech bits but I tow with a 2008 Mondeo 2 litre TDCI Auto

Its smooth and pulls really well

Dave

• 1 month later...

Not sure about the tech bits but I tow with a 2008 Mondeo 2 litre TDCI Auto

Its smooth and pulls really well

Dave

Thats good, as thats what I have just bought today, its a 2008 Titanium X, 2. 0 Lt Auto estate with all the bells and whistles, Its also pre DPF, so thats a problem less. I should collect 1st Dec as they are servicing/ MOT/ 2 years Warranty/ fixing towbar and electrics (13 pin and I've said i want all pins working as they should !)etc etc

Got a good deal on my hatchback with a local Ford main dealer, so a happy bunny. . :) (hope I can still say this in a month or two)

Edited by bordeauxderek