1.6Tdi 105Bhp Will It Cope

mikethor

Hi all

Have to change the car now and would like a smallish diesel (running costs etc) Looking at VW Touran . 6tdi 105bhp DSgG Kerbweight is good tow weight is 1500kgs and all on a 1. 6TDI. Now I am not expecting a fantastic performance from this combination but needs must and the cost is about right. Checked with CC and everything matches except they say performance may be sluggish up hills (expected)

Other option but some £600 more is a 140BHP Grand Cmax max tow 1500kg. But then need a towbar, and a hosit for my scooter so its more like £1,200

I have a Dawnstar at MTPW of 1250Kg Currently have a 1. 4TSi Golf with DSG at 122BHp or 200NMS and thats fine.

So if I can get away with the Touran I would be happy but would appreciate replies from anyone towing with small capacity diesel especially VAG group car (Audi, Seat, Skoda VW)

Hi all

Have to change the car now and would like a smallish diesel (running costs etc) Looking at VW Touran . 6tdi 105bhp DSgG Kerbweight is good tow weight is 1500kgs and all on a 1. 6TDI. Now I am not expecting a fantastic performance from this combination but needs must and the cost is about right. Checked with CC and everything matches except they say performance may be sluggish up hills (expected)

Other option but some £600 more is a 140BHP Grand Cmax max tow 1500kg. But then need a towbar, and a hosit for my scooter so its more like £1,200

I have a Dawnstar at MTPW of 1250Kg Currently have a 1. 4TSi Golf with DSG at 122BHp or 200NMS and thats fine.

So if I can get away with the Touran I would be happy but would appreciate replies from anyone towing with small capacity diesel especially VAG group car (Audi, Seat, Skoda VW)

Mike, my Octavia is the 1. 6 CR 105bhp (diesel, manual) and our MPTLM is the same as yours. We chose this on the basis that we are not frequent towers, and with 60mpg solo/30-32 hitched (and a £30 tax disc) it's running costs outweighed the desire to have something a little more meaty. Surprisingly it is not a bad combination at all. It helps to plan ahead (as in all driving of course) for the steeper ascents and so on, but this is not difficult and I have never been caught out. All that is required on some occasions is a little patience. We are certainly able to keep up with the surrounding traffic. I have been pleasantly surprised by the 1. 6CR Octavia, although to be fair its kerbweight is less than that of the Touran.

As you say, it's a case of 'needs must' and since I am in no hurry and the current van is of modest weight, it works for me.

Mikethor, I tow with the Touran and it's an outstanding towcar, not had one single bit of bother with it. It's not a 1. 6tdi though, no such engine, it's a 1. 9tdi.

Anton1888

Anton

Thanks everyone for your input. Yes it is a 1. 6 Diesel they do 90 bhp and 105 BHP they dropper the 1. 9 diesel when they recently upgraded the car. Just need to do a test drive but I think in this world of ever increasing fuel costs you have to watch the wallet as much as possible

We have just changed our Santa Fe from the old model (115bhp) to the newer model (150 bhp). Our van is heavier than yours and we found our old SF was coping with the weight but hills really killed it. We found ourselves having to rev the engine hard just to keep a reasonable speed (and that was down to 40mph on the motorway, in some cases).

My point is that your towing economy will suffer because the engine is having to work so hard - you might find that the bigger engine will return a better fuel economy (when towing) than the smaller engine. However, if you don't tow very often, I guess the savings when solo will make up for that.

Also, is there much difference in fuel economy between the 1. 6 and whatever the next size up is? Normally, it's only a few mpg. ..

I towed a 1200kg van to the southern French Alps with a 1. 6 Citroen C5 estate 105 bhp.

My advice would be forget it. I never noticed any difference in fuel consumption between all the 2 litre engines I have driven solo and when towing you had to rev it to death to go up anything with a gradient meaning the economy was awful.

Tax was cheap and that was the only benefit.

Hi,

Basic rule of thumb,- add the weight ( loaded ) of car& caravan, you should aim for 40 B. H. P. per ton. It should give you a reasonable performance, If the weight is above that things tail off while below -- well all the better ! its an old rule of thumb from many moons ago.

david 1220

If you are unsure you can always tune it. ...

http://www. tuningstyling. co. uk/tuning-styling/vw-volkswagen/vw-touran-1-6-tdi-cr-105-bhp-tuning-styling

105BHP to 132 BHP. . We did the same with our old renault. . it was also a 105BHP motor. .. But after we had it chipped it was over 140 BHP.

Contact, Turbotune DT on line, they will solve your problem for about £140 and 10mins work. it workes fine on my Picasso.

Stevenj

i tow an elddis xplore 1165 mtplm with a golf 1. 6 tdi dsg. it is fine. it revs a lot when going up a steep hill, but i just ease up on the pedal. it copes well with most hills. i am not an experienced tower having only bought the van in Feb this year, but have used it every month albeit mostly in east anglia, which is very flat! i would say go for the 1. 6 tdi dsg unless you live or intend to travel regularly in hilly parts. i get high 50/60 mpg solo and up to 35mpg towing. i think i got 37 once driving through the flat fens!

Have just towed with my new car for the first time today a Golf 1. 6tdi Estate (with DSG) and a Fleetwood Sonata on the back (MTPLM 1400kgs). I have towed this van with a selection of other more powerful vehicles in the past, but I chose the Golf Estate because of company car tax considerations and because my towing mileage is around 5% of annual mileage.

As has been said previously not a powerhouse combination but neither is is dangerously slow, a bit of anticipation for what is going around allows for perfectly acceptable progress. The gearbox sorts everything out itself, had wondered if I would need to use S mode to hold gears a little longer, but it sorted itself out in D without any problem. In fact on a couple of occasions I found the box was holding onto gears longer than I though necessary so made manual selection for an up change which the engine handled without a problem.

I also went out of my way to try hill starts and reverse hill starts, all worked well. I'm sure there are some who will take issue with the apparent 'underpowered' nature of the outfit but I really didn't have a problem. For those who cover a lower solo mileage an can accept the higher running costs of a heavier / more powerful tow car then great, but not everyone is in that position and some times compromises have to made. Having said that after today's experience the compromise is far less than I was expecting .

So in answer to the question at the beginning of the thread "will it cope", then I would certainly say yes it will.

Mikethor, you are indeed correct, I was completely unaware VW had changed their engines. As mentioned tunning is an option. I got an engine re-map done last year and it made a huge difference, I'd highly recommend it for a car out of warranty. Have you looked at this months caravan club magazine? It contains the towcar of the year supplement and the Touran is one of the contenders, the review on it was quite good. If you can't get hold of it and would like to see it PM me and I'll post it out to you.

Anton

Anton